• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MDMA Neurotoxicity

Jiraiya

Bluelighter
Hi all.

I am someone who used MDMA in the past (last usage was June 2013) roughly about 10-15 times over a 18 month period. I went through a great deal of anxiety and depression for six months until I got better. I have recently had a re-occurance of symptoms, which could just be my anxiety. Anyways I was reading this today and am curious. Source https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/mdma_neurotoxicity1.shtml

Possible Significance of Cognitive Differences and MDMA Neurotoxicity

How severe are these cognitive changes? They do not indicate impairment in day-to-day activities. The differences occur in cognitive tests in which young, healthy people perform well. Thus, these differences are generally small in magnitude despite their statistical significance. In fact, neither the investigators nor the ecstasy-using volunteers themselves appear to be aware of any cognitive impairment in these individuals (McCann, 1999b; Rodgers, 2000). These studies raise questions about whether these ecstasy-using volunteers have experienced serotonergic neurotoxicity that might eventually be associated with more severe symptoms. Such symptoms could become prominent as ecstasyusers age. Additionally, larger impairments in specialized areas of functioning may exist but simply have not been discovered yet.

Studies of individual variation in symptoms associated with neurodegenerative disorders have lead to two relevant concepts. First, there is a threshold of damage that must be exceeded in some brain systems before symptoms develop. This has been primarily investigated with dopaminergic cell loss and Parkinson's disease (Brownell, 1999; Calne, 1985; Di Monte, 2000). There are less data on the serotonergic system. In a rat study using the serotonergic neurotoxin, 5,7-DHT, Hall (1999) concluded that a loss of greater than 60% of serotonergic neurons was necessary to decrease extracellular 5-HT levels in the striatum. Alterations in behavior were seen with slightly smaller depletions (51% or more), possibly due to regional variations in neurotoxicity. One might speculate that even smaller depletions may not affect many serotonergic-related behaviors, although the maximal serotonergic response to drugs or other stimuli is likely to be reduced (reduced electrically-stimulated 5-HT release in MDMA-exposed rats was documented by Gartside, 1996).

Second, the concept of cognitive reserve has been developed to explain why greater education, intelligence, or brain size is associated with less severe impairment in conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, AIDS, and normal aging (Alexander, 1997; Coffey, 1999; Graves, 1996; Stern, 1996). This cognitive reserve may be seen as a surplus of processing capacity that protects the individual against loss of functioning when that capacity is decreased. Cognitive reserve could be the result of more extensive functional brain tissue, density of neural connections, or cognitive strategies for problem solving. Individuals with less cognitive reserve could be expected to undergo larger cognitive decreases from MDMA exposure than users with greater cognitive reserve. Support for this possibility comes from Bolla (1998) who reported a significant interaction between dose and vocabulary (measured with the WAIS-R). ecstasy users with lower vocabulary scores showed greater decreases in delayed visual memory performance, while users with higher vocabulary had largely preserved performance. Although the absolute magnitude of performance decrease was small, this study suggests that cognitive reserve could play a role in expression of MDMA neurotoxicity.

Whether symptoms of MDMA neurotoxicity are likely to increase as users age is difficult to predict. Some have speculated that aging ecstasy users might have increased risk of depression and other affective disorders. From a neurochemical perspective, age-related decrease in SERT density appears modest (estimated at 4.3% per decade in one recent study (van Dyck, 2000)), while 5-HT receptors undergo more complex age-related changes (reviewed in (Meltzer, 1998). One would hope that these changes will not cause ecstasy users to exceed a hypothetical threshold for developing symptoms of neurotoxicity. However, we simply do not understand 5-HT or affective disorders sufficiently to make predictions with any confidence. Late onset affective disorders are probably influenced by many nonserotonergic factors, such as social isolation and cerebrovascular disease.

These are serious and legitimate concerns and there is insufficient research to adequately address them. On the other hand, there is no direct evidence to support these concerns. Neurotoxic phenethylamines have been self-administered by humans for over 60 years. In this time, no evidence has been published suggesting that methamphetamine or amphetamine increase risk of Parkinson's disease, despite damaging dopaminergic axons. In contrast, the link between Parkinson's disease and MPTP, a meperidine analogue and dopaminergic neurotoxin that destroys cell bodies, was rapidly discovered (Davis, 1979; Langston, 1983). This suggests that there may be fundamental differences between neurotoxic phenethylamines, which selectively damage a subset of monoaminergic axons but not cell bodies, and other neurotoxins. Similarly, concerns about the selective serotonergic neurotoxicity induced by MDMA and other drugs are not fueled by a toxic syndrome identified in users. Instead, they are motivated by the intuition that the dramatic decreases in indices of serotonergic functioning must have some adverse behavioral consequences.

Some have suggested that MDMA neurotoxicity may be related to its putative therapeutic effects. Although this is technically possible, there are a number of reasons to doubt this hypothesis. The acute intoxication induced by MDMA is unusual. In contrast, similar serotonergic neurotoxicity can be produced by many other drugs. The events associated with MDMA neurotoxicity occur in rats between approximately 3 and 12 hours after drug administration, when subjective effects are decreasing or absent in humans. Thus, the acute intoxication produced by MDMA appears to be fully separable from long-term serotonergic effects. If MDMA proves useful as an adjunct to psychotherapy, it seems more likely that this utility will be associated with the unusual acute intoxication produced by MDMA than with the chronic serotonergic changes produced by many drugs.

I don't know if I am misinterpreting the information here, but from what I can gather it says that if you acquired some sort of neurotoxicity in the past, then symptoms will get worse with age rather than better? I'm confused if they mean current ecstasy users or abstinent users in this article.

My last hope was that I got better before for a period of time, but now that seems to be out the window? Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac, I dunno. I never experienced any cognitive decline, but the depression I have definitely experienced, and now that it's back I can barely function.

Any thoughts? I'm not educated in neuroscience so I don't really know what this means.

Hi Jiraiya!

Unfortunately I can't really answer your questions, because I am just currently reading up about all the matter & trying to understand it all ... but I think one has to really differentiate much more between changes in neuronal activity and actual damage. Even lasting, semi-permanent changes do not have to be toxic damage! As any emotion, any thought is chemically 'encoded', the brain is an ever-changing hyper-complex matter. MDMA certainly induces pronounced alterations, as any profound experience will do, and possibly there are 'toxic' mechanisms beyond that - I think you'll get better answers from more educated people later :)

Some have suggested that MDMA neurotoxicity may be related to its putative therapeutic effects.
This sounds somewhat wrong to me.

I believe that the MDMA experience (maybe not the full-on flooring, I've never done real MDMA & thus can't compare, but a great deal of) can be achieved without real neurotoxicity, either with 'better' agents like MDAI - which is said to be non-toxic, but then again only as long as it is not combined with a dopaminergic, and used alone it is not comparable - so I don't know, and/or by stacking with protecting agents - antioxidants etc. The 4-MAR / 4,4'-DMAR compounds are somewhat promising, yet dangerous because they are truly potent and unforgiving when overdosed or recklessly combined with the wrong things.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I had a hard time understanding it all too. I'm not sure if I did suffer from neurotoxicity or not, but I got way better for about a year - pretty much completely back to normal, with a few dips in the road. But I've had a difficult time this last month and for some reason it just popped into my head one day to google MDMA Neurotoxicity, big mistake!

Now I'm concerned that even though I've been abstinent for so long, I might not be out of the woods at all.

imo, it's your anxiety talking here. when we are depressed / anxious we keep trying to find reasons, justifications to why we feel the way we feel, to rationalize it, and in my personal experience, the emotional mind sucks really bad in doing this.

for example, why should the neurotoxicity of MDMA be more likely to be the explanation for your current feelings than other psychological factors, like for example idk, low self-esteem or recent unfortunate events in your life (or other things)? your use of MDMA was of very reasonable frequency - according to current consensus - and also, over two years ago. whatever it did to your serotonergic system should be long gone, and without any reason to suddenly come back.

also, in the text you posted there is a part that, if i understood correctly, says that there is no evidence of greater incidence of Parkinson's in meth and amphetamine users - supposed dopamine neurotoxins -, which differentiates them from, for example, MPP+, a dopamine neurotoxin which causes Parkinson's a few days after administration IIRC. in that manner, MDMA's reduction of serotonergic markers might be different from say 5,7-di-OH-tryptamine, the neurotoxin with which they destroyed over 50% of rat serotonin systems and noticed behavioral differences... well, whatever

well, i say this without any intent to dismiss or disqualify your depression / anxiety, i know that they're really fucking real things, but to suggest a perspective different from "i damaged my brain", a psychological one, which opens space for treatments like assessing why you feel this way, finding out what are your limitating beliefs and behaviours, etc...

Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying too - to a certain degree haha. But when the anxiety came back I didn't even think about MDMA, it was only like a week ago when it came up in my head, and unfortunately I went back to the google - which has made me all paranoid and shit. Totally regret it as it has made me infinitely worse.

But because I came back to 100% over 6 months, a few setbacks then essentially 100% for a further 9 months perhaps it wasn't neurotoxicity? Maybe down-regulation or something?

The main thing about the article above that worried me was the 'hypothetical time bomb' theory. As far as I know, human serotonin levels drop steadily as we age (correct me if I'm wrong), which means that if I did sustain damage, then it could show up later in life and manifest as depression, or symptoms could worsen - am I right here? The article says there is no evidence of this, but it was written back in 2001 so I'm not sure which research has been done since. Maybe I should just start studying Neuroscience instead! Haha.

I used 50mg of first time mdma without redosed,never used drug before
First 4 days I was ok
At 5th day I start searching about serotonin syndrome and many more like you
My heart hit 120bps,fobia etc etc....
After 35 days I'm still anxious but not so much

I think that was a Shock searching :)

Hi Jiraiya :) I'm very familiar regarding the neuroscience of MDMA and I believe that you are indeed suffering from some anxiety and depression, I think what is typical is that people get better and then anxiety/depression hits again and then they worry about if the MDMA caused it.

I assure you, if it was permanent damage from the MDMA, you would've been having anxiety/depression problems all along and never would've had a period where you got better and then relapsed :)

MDMA can mess with your serotonin for a while but concerning your extremely mild level of use are very temporary and will get back to normal in time.

I highly recommend 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week, it has countless benefits for the brain. It also causes your mind to generate new serotonin brain cells!
What I think Dopamimetic was getting at was that sometimes the neurotoxicity (killing some brain cells) isn't as important as the changes in the psyche (that aren't from having killed a couple brain cells).

Also I would just like to point out that damage to a serotonin cell body itself has never really been shown, just that the axons (essentially the many many arms of the cell that connect to other cells) can be damaged (with chronic high dose abuse) but they actually regenerate and re-wire over a couple months, we don't know exactly what the effects of the rewiring are but this (in severe abusers) could have something to do with the cognitive difficulties with memory and such. It appears that their overall serotonin levels return to normal in a couple months of abstinence however. So I wouldn't worry about the MDMA, unfortunately the anxiety and depression from thinking you have "permanently fried your brain with ecstasy" etc. can be a self-fulfilling prophecy, a horrible cycle. I think regardless what your depression/anxiety issues are from originally, aerobic conditioning will help if you can will yourself to do some. Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wish I could think it through logically, but all the studies about receptor damage/axon damage etc has left me with this massive fear. I read alot of studies by Ricaurte and AC Parrot. The other part that scares me is dormant brain damage - how it might not be noticeable at present, but may manifest in the future as serotonin levels naturally drop with age. Suggesting that ecstacy users are at a higher risk for depression as they age.

So in my head I'm thinking "You had a bad reaction once but came right over time, however there could still be damage, and symptoms (such as depression) could manifest in the future. Walking around with this in my head absolutely consumes me. There's no respite from it.

Sorry to sound so negative guys, it's just taken over my life. Regretting that google search so much.

I highly recommend ignoring all the studies by Ricaurte, this advice is generally well known by the community. He actually ended up have to withdraw a paper once because he accidentally used methamphetamine instead of MDMA in an MDMA study that claimed MDMA causes Parkinson's.

A lot of the research doesn't apply because it's extremely high binge dosages in a rodent model. Studies in humans show normal levels of serotonin after a few months of abstinence :) There does seem to be a rewiring of serotonin if the abuse is hardcore, but the serotonin does grow back.

I think sometimes people have problems with anxiety and depression the same way sometimes people have anxiety and depression after a traumatic experience. MDMA is a strong experience and can change your psyche a bit, a strong emotional experience or trauma can change your psyche as well but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's harmed brain cells. Likely the opposite, especially concerning anxiety but even depression, some brain cells have formed connections and are firing too much, as opposed to "brain damaged and not firing enough".

Have you considered exercise (cardio) and meditation? Cardio has been shown to increase neurogenesis, especially of serotonin cells in an extremely important part of the brain, there are countless other benefits to cardio long term though, especially for depression and neurodegenerative disease like Alzheimer's. I highly recommend 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week. Mediating on the breath can help greatly with anxiety issues and sleep, and after all sleep is where you make most of your new brain cells and fight off Alzheimer's. So if you are really worried about your old age I would faithfully do cardio 30 minutes a couple times a week and practice meditation 15 minutes every day.

Doing this and eating healthy will in all likeliness set you up to be healthier and happier than had you never done MDMA in the first place! Out of bad comes good :)

Exercise lots, meditate and get good sleep, eat healthy and a lot of good will come of all this. Anxiety and that voice in your head is incredibly strong so if you can't beat it and convince yourself you're not brain damaged, let it motivate you to live healthier to try to make up for it :)

Yes, sorry, I've written too complexly abstracted once more :\

Terms like neurotoxicity or 'neuron damage', 'cell death' are used far too widespread in my eyes. As Cotcha pointed out, many of these things have never been observed in humans and are about truly astronomic dosages administered i.p. or even directly into the brain of terrified lab animals and they usually aren't given the time to potentially recover (partly). Until recently it has been thought that adults are unable to generate new neurons, afaik this has been proven to be wrong. Axons and synapses can and do grow all the time. :)

And this study with methamphetamine instead of MDMA- ouch. I've read about that before, but it's really bad. This is all pure war on drugs material, no science by far. And even meth is not that bad when used in moderation probably (and without residual traces of red phosphorus, things from inside lithium batteries etc) - I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it's available on prescription for severe ADHD - Desoxyn.

Problem is that our psyche has an equal plasticity as the underlying brain - but it has the tendency to not self-heal as much. Here we need to invest more power of mind and strategies etc..

Last edited:
Not necessarily abnormal. Just different than they would have without the influence of drugs (or chronic stress, or other powerful experiences). The good thing about these new interconnections is that they actually can have benefits*, but also the opposite, or both at the same time (leading to overthinking / over sensibility and eventually anxious, agitated depression with the inability to rest --> drug abuse --> etc). But this can be guided into a better direction I believe, with & without meds / chemicals. It's by far no easy or trivial process, but the fear and all that costs you much energy too (yeah, it's so much easier to say things like that to others than to apply them to myself, granted. I am still in the need of -good- chemical aids.)

*e.g. make one more sensitive, enhancing cognitive capabilities or especially creativity, thinking against the mainstream, seeing solutions and opportunities where others don't etc.. this is probably what they meant by the 'consciousness-expanding' effects of psychedelics.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Oops I delete the question :)
I asked about new serotonin axons and their abnormal ways

Oh cool, so even if I did sustain axon damage, new axon's would have grown back? Is this something that has been proven recently, because I remember in all the old articles it mentioned partial and abnormal recovery only. There is so much contradicting stuff out there it confuses me.

The other thing I worry about is that I used to drink alcohol while rolling too, which I heard isn't a good thing... lol.

I meditate every night and it's amazing. Haven't been doing much cardio this week because I've been pretty fucked up, but last year I was at the gym 5 times a week, doing at least 20 mins of cardio as well as an hour of weight training.

That level of exercise is great, I hope you can get back to it, that exercise really helps the brain especially for depression. Cardio is a natural anti depressant and helps deepen your sleep (if done early enough in the day, residual adrenaline can mess your sleep up a little for some) Glad to hear you're down with the meditation as well. Meditation is valuable beyond words, makes me sad that so many people turn their nose up at it.

Damage to the serotonin cell itself has never really been thought to occur, just to the axons (and this is with high dosage binge administration in animal models) and the axons have been shown to grow back, but mind you they only grow back if there was enough damage to kill some of them in the first place and whether that's happening at recreational human doses is still up for discussion.

What I think really matters is it can dysregulate your serotonin system for a while and essentially set things off balance, this can take time to correct itself but the thing here to remember is many people's serotonin is off balance normally. People that have never ever touched drugs can have horrible mental health issues.

Keep on pushing forward and be positive :) This isn't permenant damage from MDMA, something that was very likely already there or just beneath the surface has been revealed so now like a wound that never healed correctly, you have opened it up again so you can heal it properly this time. Keep at the meditation :)

The other thing I worry about is that I used to drink alcohol while rolling too, which I heard isn't a good thing... lol.

I'm just speculating now, but probably it depends on the amount of alcohol and your consumption pattern. To maintain a low level of ethanol while rolling (maybe equally to one beer every few hours or so) could actually offer some protection because ethanol does both increase GABAergic inhibition as well as decrease glutamatergic excitation by negatively modulating AMPAr and NMDAr's. The downside is that ethanol (or rather it's metabolic breakdown products) itself are toxic, and rushing into hangover / rebound while still rolling would certainly make things worse.

So if you decide to roll 'n' drink, then keep drinking until the MDMA wears off ;) correct me if I'm wrong as always.

Antioxidants like Q10, emoxypine etc. might be of great benefit, against damage from both substances - MDMA as well as ethanol ... and of course 5-HTP / griffonia simplicifolia - which helps to replenish your serotonin storage vesicles.. mucuna pruriens / levodopa does the same for dopamine.

Just thought I would revive this post as this stuff is still playing on my mind a bit haha. The retreat I was on has now finished. It wasn't really my thing to be honest, was way too extreme haha.

This stuff is still messing with my head quite a bit, regarding the whole 'hypothetical time bomb' theory. Trying to use mindfulness to float past it but it does play on my mind a bit.

Whether symptoms of MDMA neurotoxicity are likely to increase as users age is difficult to predict. Some have speculated that aging ecstasy users might have increased risk of depression and other affective disorders. From a neurochemical perspective, age-related decrease in SERT density appears modest (estimated at 4.3% per decade in one recent study (van Dyck, 2000)), while 5-HT receptors undergo more complex age-related changes (reviewed in (Meltzer, 199. One would hope that these changes will not cause ecstasy users to exceed a hypothetical threshold for developing symptoms of neurotoxicity. However, we simply do not understand 5-HT or affective disorders sufficiently to make predictions with any confidence. Late onset affective disorders are probably influenced by many nonserotonergic factors, such as social isolation and cerebrovascular disease.

These are serious and legitimate concerns and there is insufficient research to adequately address them. On the other hand, there is no direct evidence to support these concerns. Neurotoxic phenethylamines have been self-administered by humans for over 60 years. In this time, no evidence has been published suggesting that methamphetamine or amphetamine increase risk of Parkinson's disease, despite damaging dopaminergic axons. In contrast, the link between Parkinson's disease and MPTP, a meperidine analogue and dopaminergic neurotoxin that destroys cell bodies, was rapidly discovered (Davis, 1979; Langston, 1983). This suggests that there may be fundamental differences between neurotoxic phenethylamines, which selectively damage a subset of monoaminergic axons but not cell bodies, and other neurotoxins. Similarly, concerns about the selective serotonergic neurotoxicity induced by MDMA and other drugs are not fueled by a toxic syndrome identified in users. Instead, they are motivated by the intuition that the dramatic decreases in indices of serotonergic functioning must have some adverse behavioral consequences.

Apparently there is more recent research that Meth does cause parkinsons - I read this about a month ago although I've kept off Google recently as I know where that leads, but when I did my google search about MDMA neurotoxicity alot of it was really negative. I remember reading alot of studies by a guy called AC Parrott, stating brain damage happens even at recreational doses. Dunno if anyone is familiar with his studies, but is this guy legitimate, or is this all government propaganda bullshit?

Also, how is there any modern evidence that our serotonin systems do recover - if damage was sustained? I know the article that I posted was from 2001, so it could be a bit dated. If anyone can link me to some studies to show this I'd be stoked haha.

Any studies on neurogenesis regarding serotonin would be a great help to me, and to help silence that horrible inner voice telling me that I have brain damage haha.

whoa, that gliosis thing is actually kinda interesting... i'll have to read into it later...

BTW OP don't take what the Ricaurte guy (the first interview on the link) says seriously i.e. don't let it scare you and feed your anxiety... nobody does, since he's a fraud

Last edited:
Dr Callaghan said that ricaurte and other studys use 25 times the human dose at rats to produce neurotoxicity,that means you had to use extremely huge dose every day
I think that you must relax and forget about neurotoxicity

I show many veteran LTC recovered users here at BL with successful careers without parkinson or Alzheimer or depression even after 20 years,I think that proves that you have to stop worry...