Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

mdma & bipolar disorder

halfy

Bluelighter
hey,

my friend used to be a regular roller but was diagnosed with bipolar disorder early last year. Obviously he had to stop dropping as anti-psychotics and anti-depressants were used as treatment for several months. It has now been a couple of months since he has had to use medication, and he has been talking about coming back to the scene for a roll. I told him that this could be a very bad idea as it could trigger a relapse of mania or depression. Could someone please give me a more informed opinion about the situation, particularly in terms of the possible consequences. Thanx in advance...

Try looking in Health Q & A however I think it's unwise to stop his anti-depressant medication to have MDMA. He might feel 'cured' and not depressed anymore, however that is more due to the medication rather than him being better. If he stops the medication he is leaving himself vulnerable to depression once more. This isn't helped by the fact that the medicine he is taking is treating his serotonin system, which is the same system that MDMA alters heavily to cause the high. It is not known for sure, but MDMA might have induced the depression that he now suffers from, and he wants to go and do it all again? MDMA is the last drug he should be taking.

halfy: the advice you already gave your friend was correct. Mental health clinicians (including me) would all agree that MDMA can play a role in relapse of various mental illnesses, including Bipola Affective Disorder.

A relapse of Bipolar Affective Disorder can be triggered by various things, including stress, some medications and drugs, or cessation of mood stabilising medication. The severity and frequency of BAD relpases varies from person to person. Some people have a pattern of frequent episodes (from a few per year to more often) while others might have only one episode per year. I imagine those people with more frequent episodes may be more prone to a drug related relapse, but I am just guessing.

If you search both Health q & a and Ecstasy Discussion you will see that a number of Bluelighters continue to take MDMA (generally whilst on mood stabilisers) and don't complain of any subsequent problems. This could be just good luck, or perhaps ongoing treatment with a mood stabiliser gives them some protection from an MDMA related relapse.

Obviously, your friend will need to weigh up the pro's and con's of whether to take a chance with MDMA or not. They might want to consider how much they have to lose by getting sick again (ie: time off work or school to recover; potentially having to go to hospital; the various problems that result from having a manic episode or a depressed episode; the need to go back onto medication for a prolonged period) versus how much they feel they would benefit from one night of MDMA enhanced fun. If your friend chooses to use MDMA despite the risks and does relapse, you would be in a good position to support them to get back into psychaitric treatment. Hope that is of some help.

Some general info on BAD and drugs can be found here.

Cowboy is right in saying that he shouldn't have stopped his medication (unless his doctor suggested it) and MDMA is not something that he should now be taking recreationally. in my experience of taking MDMA whilst on anti-depressant medication the high is so diminished that it is not worth the risk.

Dude! Tell your mate not to even think about it for at least 12 months. The experience he will feel whilst on the pill will be mild and one of detachment, not a bad feeling but definitely not a good one, but the come down will be horrendous! Depression is a real wanker, and you have to take it seriously!

peace out

most antidepressants are SSRI these days, and they make it impossible for the drug to work. my doctor actually told me about that :D glad i didn't waste any money.