• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana addiction.

gram696969

Bluelighter
How the fuck did this happen? My whole life, I've been told that weed is non addictive. Habit forming, sure, but 100% non addictive. How then, did I find myself at 18 years old, after smoking for only 3 years, with an addiction I can't break? I don't get withdrawals or anything, it's more like a nicotine craving. Restlessness, irratibility, depression, headaches, and just the absolute NEED to get a different state of mind are all things I experience all day every day when weed is not present. For the first time since grade nine, I went a whole 24 hours without smoking yesterday. By the end of it, all I could think about was how high I'd get next time I hit. To the point where I caved and smoked. It's not like I don't want to quit, this shit has caused enough mental issues for 10 people. I'm anxious, depressed, paranoid, and all the other things heavy weed use accompanies. I hate it. I've never wanted to go sober more than now. So why can't I stop? I know I can, but holy fuck I've never faced a more daunting pointless seeming task in my life. This sucks to say the least. Good fucking thing I never found a harder drug that's actually addictive, like coke or something. If I was hooked on that shit I'd just killmyself at that point, if weeds this hard cocaine would be impossible. My heart goes out to all you addicts and ex addicts...

Edit: important to note that I went from roughly 4 grams a day to roughly 1 gram, and now I'm trying zero grams. I've never felt the desire to smoke weed this much before, it's literally every other thought.

I gotta say, mentally, qutting weed after roughly eight years of daily wake and bake and staying high all through the day, was somehow harder than quitting morphine that first time, after being on it for more than a year.

Like, a lot harder mentally.

So I get where you're coming from and what you mean man. I know a lot of people who have serious trouble to quit smoking, but this is rarely raised as a legit question as most people seem to laugh at the habit-forming properties of weed.

It's a good thing you realized this. That's always the first step in getting off.

What I did was I replaced the weed with chamomille-tea, bit by bit.
Chamomille is a natural, well, not sedative, but it has certain sedating properties. That's probably the only helpful, real tip I have.

Do you smoke with or without tobacco? Cause that shit is hell to quit as well.

How the fuck did this happen? My whole life, I've been told that weed is non addictive. Habit forming, sure, but 100% non addictive. How then, did I find myself at 18 years old, after smoking for only 3 years, with an addiction I can't break? I don't get withdrawals or anything, it's more like a nicotine craving. Restlessness, irratibility, depression, headaches, and just the absolute NEED to get a different state of mind are all things I experience all day every day when weed is not present. For the first time since grade nine, I went a whole 24 hours without smoking yesterday. By the end of it, all I could think about was how high I'd get next time I hit. To the point where I caved and smoked. It's not like I don't want to quit, this shit has caused enough mental issues for 10 people. I'm anxious, depressed, paranoid, and all the other things heavy weed use accompanies. I hate it. I've never wanted to go sober more than now. So why can't I stop? I know I can, but holy fuck I've never faced a more daunting pointless seeming task in my life. This sucks to say the least. Good fucking thing I never found a harder drug that's actually addictive, like coke or something. If I was hooked on that shit I'd just killmyself at that point, if weeds this hard cocaine would be impossible. My heart goes out to all you addicts and ex addicts...
THC, marijuana/hashish, etc. can be psychologically addictive. Also, if you smoke enough of it or get high daily in extreme amounts you might get a sort of physical addiction to THC linked below. It never happened to me; but I never smoked daily for decades, and I never took any of the cannabinoid research chemicals either. Three friends of mine did develop this but they stayed basically super stoned all day and night long, and the one friend got into using the synthetic cannabinoids. They all said how they would vomit when they stopped smoking/eating/vaping marijuana/hashish, and the one friend was not able to eat food unless he was high. I also should mention my friends were all polydrug addicts, both to hard drugs like opiates, alcohol, cocaine, etc. and soft drugs like marjuana/hashish.

You are not at this stage yet and it did not happen to me when I smoked daily in large amounts during summer months. But I sort of had a psychological addiction to pot and hashish when I was cutting back on alcohol after slowly drinking large quantities daily, I would smoke pot instead, and basically I would smoke it until I was super high or the bag was gone, get more, and keep smoking daily even though I said I was going to stop. Eventually I did stop and I did it by cutting slowly back, not buying more pot when it was gone, not smoking when other people offered it to me, etc.

Been smoking for 15 years, and I can easily go a day or 3 without smoking weed.
I can't go without smoking a few cigarettes though.

Anxious, Irritated, Depressed, sounds like Nicotine, not like weed is what has you by the balls. From weed I basically only get sweats and feeling uncomfortable. What helps is smoking CBD weed for that. Legal anywhere, and it kills the "craving" for weed. Doesn't make you high

If Nicotine's the issue, your problem is gone within 48 hours.
If Ganja is the issue, I'm Francesco D'Assisi

edit: But if you got a tolerance of 4g / day after only 3 years, maybe you better just stop. That's $1200 per month, that's absolutely mad. There's lots of people who can't handle their dosages and keep increasing and increasing instead of staying steady, and you seem to be in the danger zone. I've been staying steady for 15 years(almost daily, i only don't smoke at work), and I'm only at about 0.5g per day.

Last edited:
I gotta say, mentally, qutting weed after roughly eight years of daily wake and bake and staying high all through the day, was somehow harder than quitting morphine that first time, after being on it for more than a year.

Like, a lot harder mentally.

So I get where you're coming from and what you mean man. I know a lot of people who have serious trouble to quit smoking, but this is rarely raised as a legit question as most people seem to laugh at the habit-forming properties of weed.

It's a good thing you realized this. That's always the first step in getting off.

What I did was I replaced the weed with chamomille-tea, bit by bit.
Chamomille is a natural, well, not sedative, but it has certain sedating properties. That's probably the only helpful, real tip I have.

Do you smoke with or without tobacco? Cause that shit is hell to quit as well.
Oh wow really? Jeez, you`d think with the shit getting legalized pretty well everywhere there would be more research on addiction.... It is a carcinogen after all. Also hey theres an idea! I`ll give it a go, even the slightest sedation would be welcomed. I do take 200mg of Seroquel daily, which is a sedative. Might up it to 250 just until these cravings go away. Worth a shot anyways.... Also yeah stupidly. I smoked tobe through a bong before I even tried weed, I was and still am highly addicted to the nicotine buzz a bong can produce. Even still, after 3 years of smoking, I get a wicked buzz every morning. My bowls are not small ones either.. to the brim with tobacco then push as much weed as possible on top. Usually get it all in one pull too... Not like trying to be cool or anything, trust me I know its gross, I`m just not sure how popular smoking nicotine through a bong is in other areas. Where I live thats basically all kids do, but Ive had to explain it to so many people before. Like my uncle, been smoking since he was 13, 40 now, and hes never had a nicotine buzz. He actually laughs at me when I say I get "high" off the stuff. But through a bong, bowls as big as mine, all in one breath, I`m pretty sure anybody would get a wicked head buzz. I also smoke just cigarettes as they are, so quitting smoking weed isnt really tied to my nicotine addiction. If I get a craving I can always smoke a bong of straight tobe, tastes gross but it works

THC, marijuana/hashish, etc. can be psychologically addictive. Also, if you smoke enough of it or get high daily in extreme amounts you might get a sort of physical addiction to THC linked below. It never happened to me; but I never smoked daily for decades, and I never took any of the cannabinoid research chemicals either. Three friends of mine did develop this but they stayed basically super stoned all day and night long, and the one friend got into using the synthetic cannabinoids. They all said how they would vomit when they stopped smoking/eating/vaping marijuana/hashish, and the one friend was not able to eat food unless he was high. I also should mention my friends were all polydrug addicts, both to hard drugs like opiates, alcohol, cocaine, etc. and soft drugs like marjuana/hashish.

You are not at this stage yet and it did not happen to me when I smoked daily in large amounts during summer months. But I sort of had a psychological addiction to pot and hashish when I was cutting back on alcohol after slowly drinking large quantities daily, I would smoke pot instead, and basically I would smoke it until I was super high or the bag was gone, get more, and keep smoking daily even though I said I was going to stop. Eventually I did stop and I did it by cutting slowly back, not buying more pot when it was gone, not smoking when other people offered it to me, etc.
Wow I had no idea there was an actual illness tied to it... That sucks honestly. I totally get the unable to eat part, 100%. No appetite at all without dope..

Hope you get better man. Anything that you rely on, on the long term is going to be hard to quit. I had a friend that got literal physical withdrawal symptoms from stopping weed. Like comparable to opiate withdrawal.

Been smoking for 15 years, and I can easily go a day or 3 without smoking weed.
I can't go without smoking a few cigarettes though.

Anxious, Irritated, Depressed, sounds like Nicotine, not like weed is what has you by the balls. From weed I basically only get sweats and feeling uncomfortable. What helps is smoking CBD weed for that. Legal anywhere, and it kills the "craving" for weed. Doesn't make you high

If Nicotine's the issue, your problem is gone within 48 hours.
If Ganja is the issue, I'm Francesco D'Assisi

edit: But if you got a tolerance of 4g / day after only 3 years, maybe you better just stop. That's $1200 per month, that's absolutely mad. There's lots of people who can't handle their dosages and keep increasing and increasing instead of staying steady, and you seem to be in the danger zone. I've been staying steady for 15 years(almost daily, i only don't smoke at work), and I'm only at about 0.5g per day.
See thats the fucked up part, the 4g a day. Ive smoked 8g in a day before, no joke. Ive hit a point where the stuff does barely anything at all, nice weed or not. I think my problem must be because it was all day everyday for the first 2 years... all through my highschool career, Id smoke up a good 1-2grams, just to hop on the bus to go smoke even more at school. Extreme excess, all day, and for 2 years. I was never anxious as a kid, never. Now I can barely leave my house... I fucking wish we could trade brains. I would kill to be able to get my daily high off 0.5 grams 😆

Hope you get better man. Anything that you rely on, on the long term is going to be hard to quit. I had a friend that got literal physical withdrawal symptoms from stopping weed. Like comparable to opiate withdrawal.
Hey thanks homie. And very very true.... Ive been addicted to everything from food to concerta, I`m convinced theres nothing thats non-addictive. Also actually? Thats heavy shit, the media needs to wake the fuck up and publicize this more. There are almost as many people smoking dope as there are drinking alcohol nowadays, people need to know its not just a free-for-all. Thats what I thought and now look at me lol

See thats the fucked up part, the 4g a day. Ive smoked 8g in a day before, no joke. Ive hit a point where the stuff does barely anything at all, nice weed or not. I think my problem must be because it was all day everyday for the first 2 years... all through my highschool career, Id smoke up a good 1-2grams, just to hop on the bus to go smoke even more at school. Extreme excess, all day, and for 2 years. I was never anxious as a kid, never. Now I can barely leave my house... I fucking wish we could trade brains. I would kill to be able to get my daily high off 0.5 grams 😆
Dude, don't worry, when I was in Spain for half a year, I smoked like 12-15g per day, easy.
That's because 1g costs 16cent in Andalucia, and that's expensive weed, so you roll almost pure. Tobacco is too expensive.(can't smoke pure cuz it's hash)

So I understand your issue with feeling nothing from it. But it wasn't hard to quit after Spain, I just did 2-3 days without, and then started with my normal dosage again. I think keeping the dosage small gives you MUCH more of an effect for much longer time. You really have to actively work your mind towards not always wanting the bigger hit. The dose is totally fine, stay with the dose.

Salutations,

How the fuck did this happen?

Euh... Here it goes again, but how about including the basics?

1. Neuro-plasticity
  2. Contaminants
  3. Consumption Method & Ritual
  4. Socio-toxic 3rd-party interference

For example:

Relatively to item #1, were you "initiated" to cannabis by systematically abusing it?? Did such self-vilification habit deeply "crystalize" long before any healthier alternatives were even evaluated if any?... No. 2, was it not actually combined to poly-toxicomania + other contamination vectors, quite possibly translating as the noble molecules getting trashed by self-poisoning compounds from combustion smoking (and more...)?! Which also invites yet another concern: #3) did the "paraphernalia" offer any ways of "dosing" at all, e.g. contrary to rolling-paper, euh... I bet not. Then, last but not least, were you growing your own "bio"/"organic" months before day #1, being aware that man-made genetic selections practically impose "extreme" boundaries as one additional form of abuse?!... In other words wasn't this sample experience marginal or typical of that which other suffering individuals reported after getting trained (#4...) to automatically hit the tolerance wall, eventually?... Besides, am i wrong to believe that a sawtooth roller/coster habit exacerbates all these issues?? And finally, do you see many parents "educating" their kids to alcohol by handing them a 40 oz of strong "spiritueux" without even also providing a glass, before leaving the house with zero supervision?...

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Dude, don't worry, when I was in Spain for half a year, I smoked like 12-15g per day, easy.
That's because 1g costs 16cent in Andalucia, and that's expensive weed, so you roll almost pure. Tobacco is too expensive.(can't smoke pure cuz it's hash)

So I understand your issue with feeling nothing from it. But it wasn't hard to quit after Spain, I just did 2-3 days without, and then started with my normal dosage again. I think keeping the dosage small gives you MUCH more of an effect for much longer time. You really have to actively work your mind towards not always wanting the bigger hit. The dose is totally fine, stay with the dose.
Jaaaaysus, 15 grams a day sounds like a nightmare. Also sounds pretty fun though lmao

And I totally agree with ya, ever since I started Ive been one upping myself, chasing that "first high". Quite stupid. Tonight marks day two.... we`ll see how that goes.

Salutations,

1. Neuro-plasticity
  2. Contaminants

For example:

Relatively to item #1, were you "initiated" to cannabis by systematically abusing it?? Did such self-vilification habit deeply "crystalize" long before any healthier alternatives were even evaluated if any?... No. 2, was it not actually combined to poly-toxicomania + other contamination vectors, quite possibly translating as the noble molecules getting trashed by self-poisoning compounds from combustion smoking (and more...)?! Which also invites yet another concern: #3) did the "paraphernalia" offer any ways of "dosing" at all, e.g. contrary to rolling-paper, euh... I bet not. Then, last but not least, were you growing your own "bio"/"organic" months before day #1, being aware that man-made genetic selections practically impose "extreme" boundaries as one additional form of abuse?!... In other words wasn't this sample experience marginal or typical of that which other suffering individuals reported after getting trained (#4...) to automatically hit the tolerance wall, eventually?... Besides, am i wrong to believe that a sawtooth roller/coster habit exacerbates all these issues?? And finally, do you see many parents "educating" their kids to alcohol by handing them a 40 oz of strong "spiritueux" without even also providing a glass, before leaving the house with zero supervision?...

Good day, have fun!! ☮️
Answer to #1 is yes. 100% yes. From the day I started, it was as much as I could possibly handle all day everyday. Answer to #2, its always been bongs for me. Always. Ive smoked joints before, but I always choose bong over joint. When I first started, my bowls were tiny, barely anything at all. Now, my bowls are half and half weed and tobacco, filled to the brim. I`m still pretty young, 18, so my lungs are young, and I almost always smoke these bowls in one pull. Not sure if thats any different than taking say 3 smaller hits from the same bowl though, I just always try to get it in one go. Answer to #3, you totally lost me. Lmao, not being rude or anything, maybe I`m just stupefied from all the weed. I really didnt get those last few sentences though. I dont think I ever said my parents gave me weed? They do, just not sure how that relates. Again, not being rude, I appreciate all your guys help, but that last part went straight over my head. You might have to dumb down the vocabulary for me hahaha

Salutations,

1. Neuro-plasticity
  2. Contaminants

For example:

Good day, have fun!! ☮️
I do agree though that abuse of any drug or carcinogen will lead to addiction. People get addicted to slitting their wrists, people get addicted to eating, same as people get addicted to weed or something heavier like an opiate. In terms of mental addiction anyways, physical is a whole different ballgame.

Jaaaaysus, 15 grams a day sounds like a nightmare. Also sounds pretty fun though lmao

And I totally agree with ya, ever since I started Ive been one upping myself, chasing that "first high". Quite stupid. Tonight marks day two.... we`ll see how that goes.
Honestly, I can't even imagine how much money I have saved my keeping my use down. It can get really expensive really fast.

The funniest thing is, once your body acclimatizes to the smaller doses, you won't even feel the difference between a small dose and a large dose, not really. So when/if you start again, just keep it down actively. Never increase the dose, and you'll be fine :)

Honestly, I can't even imagine how much money I have saved my keeping my use down. It can get really expensive really fast.

The funniest thing is, once your body acclimatizes to the smaller doses, you won't even feel the difference between a small dose and a large dose, not really. So when/if you start again, just keep it down actively. Never increase the dose, and you'll be fine :)
Yeah I guess eh? I caved a little tonight, smoked a half bowl. And man, let me tell ya, I have never been that high before. Im not gonna say it was psychedelic, but visual distortions were definitely a thing. And that was half what I usually smoke! Just a small tolerance break and my tolerance dropped about 50%. I wanna go a week this time and see what happens. Like you said, much much fuckn cheaper this way. More fun too

Yeah I guess eh? I caved a little tonight, smoked a half bowl. And man, let me tell ya, I have never been that high before. Im not gonna say it was psychedelic, but visual distortions were definitely a thing. And that was half what I usually smoke! Just a small tolerance break and my tolerance dropped about 50%. I wanna go a week this time and see what happens. Like you said, much much fuckn cheaper this way. More fun too
exactly :) just keep an eye on your usage, and don't let the doses themselves increase again. It's easy to say "just a little bit more this time", but all that does is allow the next little bit more ^^

Hi again,

Answer to #3, you totally lost me. ... You might have to dumb down the vocabulary...

Years ago i tried to develop my opinion on the benefits/necessity to promote "better social acceptability" besides "Harm Reduction" - which in the later case now corresponds to "Vilification Reduction" instead (as i much prefer this alternate expression once put in retrospective)... Texts/pictures collections gradually disapear and even a lot of boards with it, so the vocabulary being made specific & pre-emptive only eases future searches, while there's always going to be denial/rejection based on a virtual identity and its associated style, in place of content marked with my own personal ways of indexation. Yet it's not generally intended to seem elitist at all, just resist the passage of time.

Relatively to question #3 (about Consumption Method & Ritual) it reminds me of that same "acceptability" aspect actually refering back to at least mid-2016, trying to offer 1st-person perspectives through the VaporGenie pipe transformed into some "Prototyping Platform", pointlessly of course as there's never been 1 single emulation attempted... Since then more fancy tag-words emerged as "Micro-Bursting", "Pulse Heating" and "Packetization" of a "Heat Charge", etc. All boiling down to acquiring improved dosing control.

Meanwhile the average trend revolved around "monster toking" displays and yet coercitive/prohibitionist attitudes just don't appeal to me: consumers should be allowed to make their own choices and that's why i reasoned long ago that consumption tools must address acceptability concerns from *ALL* sides, well aware that the FCTC/COP6 event of 2014 might have come with potential domino effects, finally leading to a vape ban today... In other words my argument used to be that we would have been better served to perform adjustements ourselves rather than wait for bigots to fix it for us.

With all that cleared, lets have a closer look at the cigarette/"joint" format democratized by James Albert Bonsack in the early 1880s!

;)

1st of all that's most convenient (by Victorian-age standards...) since its rolling-paper happens to fulfill multiple functions:

a) Self-adjusting variable-length containment of the inhalation path...
b) Rudimentary self-regulation (dosing) of stream density
c) Contribution to a disposable power source
d) Most economical accessibility

On another hand it turns out young persons initiating to cannabis (like "joint" smokers) only enjoy some approximative dosing features at the cost of also capturing poisonous by-products from vegetal combustion via that same paper tube. Here's a fresh remake of a much older snapshot illustrating the best alternative available to me decades ago:
Combustion-vs-Vaporization-2017-Feb-28-480x250.png

As a former smoker myself i eventually managed to find this "cool" ready-made "finished product" labelled as "TOKEU", still depending on the "joint" format inside. Juxtaposed to that there's my early 2017 Customized VG Pipe identified as "VAPO", with one major difference being that "more with less" is no deceiving mirage anymore.

Besides the gross smell of such tokeu (paraphernalia) i also obtained a bogus sense of "dosing", although loadind it with hashish + fine blond Drum tobacco; not to mention at some point i even tried sub-division markings performed on the paper itself... This became increasingly frustrating when i started to worry about finding fair equilibrium between the number of doses vs wasted material during (re-)ignition(s). Which i wrongfully perceived as "progress" comparatively to burning a whole ~300 mg "spliff" made of dry leaves alone.

It was pure luck which caused me to discover vaporism years after i gave up the habit in mid-2007, previously thinking i'd never enjoy cannabis again. For my 1st vaporizer i chose the HerbalAire, a decent product though it made me want to empty every single bag after staring at those for 2 ~ 3 long minutes, then 6 months later early hints of trouble (on top of tolerance issues) emerged again... In either cases none of the consumption methods & associated rituals truly invited opportunities to explore dosing scenarios other than what leads to a couch-lock, ultimately. That's why i tweaked the "Prototyping Platform" until it supported a wide inclusive range of applications not excluding party missions, while also paving the way to less extreme behaviours as "Micro-Dosing", etc.

I dont think I ever said my parents gave me weed?

Who ever pretended you have? It's about the absence of suitable dosing for cannabis while alcohol usually comes with a reasonably-sized glass in most households!...

In other words the "dangers" of cannabis begin with a faulty landscape politically decided by a society itself turned socio-toxic and that's why it would have been quite a good idea to fix this before the bigots pretend doing it using cobalt-60 irradiation and savvy synergy-boosted PCP soups applied to "Tumble" mari-caca... Etc., etc.

Good day, have fun!! ☮️

Last edited:
I think its more like the difference between using your non-dominant and dominant hand, it's just that you've been doing it for so long that now everything else feels unnatural

only stoners say that weed is not addictive. So probably someone here is going to advocate that is not a drug, it is a plant.. Weed will take care of you and dominate your life as all other drugs will do.