MAPS Receives $2 Million Grant from Colorado for Study of Medical Marijuana for PTSD

Very cool. I had an ex-roommate with PTSD, who smoked all day erry day, and he swore by it. Mind, he had never sought counseling for his condition, which I think is really a shame. I know lots of people with varied mental illness who swear by it..so this is good!

Screaming_Skull;12765154 said:
Well, this is good...but I couldn't imagine smoking pot for PTSD,increases my anxiety at times.
This can be true but when medicinal marijuana is used in studies they have the ability to leave out or add certain properties that enhance certain side effects as well as diminish other side effects its all about the strain how its grown etc this is a great and huge step for us its exhilarating that we are on the right path towards acceptance

I knew a guy who was a Vietnam war POW and had severe anxiety and explosive rage, and pot made him totally normal for someone who was tortured for months on end. It did nothing for his depression but no med is perfect. This is fantastic news.

Of course it would help with ptsd you don't have to talk to any doctors or scientist just go talk to a pot smoker

Good for MAPS,

my brother in law is a vet who suffers from PTSD and uses mJ and synths to self medicate.

I am sure he would love to contribute to their study, hopefully we see some surveys or something here from them for him to participate in.

that being said, MAPS went so long on their own funding from donations, I wonder what if any "strings" are attached to this grant and what effect if any that will have on research.

gr33n3y3z;12766859 said:
I couldn't agree more, but more props to people that can toke and have somewhat some peace. I would be having anxiety out of my ass without my benzos on hand. Although I have increased my smoking herb here lately I just need my other meds to keep me from jumping out of my skin.
IME, Marijuana becomes more effective for psychiatric conditions once a tolerance is built! The opposite can be said for most other psychiatric meds, especially benzodiazepines.

Not all anxiety is the same, there are many different varieties and not all people are the same either. For me it's just as good as benzos for my anxiety without the negative side effects such as physical dependence and addiction.

The reason why you probably need benzos is because you take them too much. You realise they will just make your anxiety worse in the long run and weed won't right? They're only a temporary quick fix.

Benzos can cause brain damage*!! They will fuck up your GABA receptors, what mostly controls anxiety, if you take them too often which will ruin chance of becoming better through therapy because now there is an unnatural chemical imbalance in a damaged brain instead of a chemical imbalance brought on by hard times in life or genes.

IMHO weed (also other psychedelics) + therapy is the way to go for a permanent recovery ...without any dependence on medications.

*near full recovery of the brain can be achieved with by tapering off and staying clean from them but it's usually a pretty long and painful process. It's uncomfortable with insomnia and high anxiety for a few days at the least if dependant, withdrawal from long term use can last months I've been told by people with first hand experience

Nootropics;12767771 said:
Honestly, anxiety is all mental. I'm sure some people would naturally get anxious every time they smoke, but if someone is legally permitted, and needs no worry of repercussion, i think a first edible would be a nice experience.

Everything is "all mental". Anxiety is as real as anything else you experience through your brain.

This is great news! Lol now if we could convince the government to devote some time/manpower/money to research MDMA for PTSD we'd be in business.

Nootropics;12767771 said:
Honestly, anxiety is all mental. I'm sure some people would naturally get anxious every time they smoke, but if someone is legally permitted, and needs no worry of repercussion, i think a first edible would be a nice experience.

Now all CO has to do is legalize certain psychs.
Anxiety isn't always all mental my brother...sometimes its caused by legit medical conditions. Like me...I started developing random weird anxiety after developing neurological Lyme(it's common in advanced cases of the disease). No mental trigger, just random onset from my brain reacting to the infection. Smoking aggravates it 100 fold. It really sucks because I used to love to smoke. Bums me out.

Has anyone else here heard about the testing of psilocyibin to treat PTSD? Dont remember which university...but its a major one. Yale maybe?

harmacologist;12766866 said:
Not smoking the right strains then.
I totally agree not smoking the right strain. The right strain has you crashed out in a few minutes with no stress at all

Kitten27;13043955 said:
I totally agree not smoking the right strain. The right strain has you crashed out in a few minutes with no stress at all

... and luckily they are developing strains maximizing the therapeutic benefits and reducing the "crashed out" high feeling. With fewer restrictions research focusing on predominately CBD containing strains and other cannabinoids should increase. Government regulations reduced this research over the years and this new development is nudging medicinal marijuana ahead. Eventually the variates of marijuana should develop with some strains getting you high and others addressing other issues.