Many Washington marijuana activists oppose legalization initiative

policy.png

A historic vote this November on legalizing marijuana may seem like the perfect backdrop for Seattle's Hempfest at Myrtle Edwards Park, but activists will unfurl their pot-leaf flags Friday amid unprecedented political infighting.

The pro-marijuana movement in Washington state is so splintered that Hempfest organizers are staying neutral on the legalization measure, Initiative 502.

For months, a faction of pot activists has been campaigning against the initiative. And on Saturday at Hempfest, activists for and against the initiative will square off in a panel discussion.

Things are so fractured that Hempfest director Vivian McPeak, a critic of I-502, said several staff members would have left the organization if it had taken sides on the measure.

"It's painful and it's frustrating," McPeak said. "For Hempfest it's been sort of like navigating shark-infested waters."

Hempfest, which began in Volunteer Park in 1991, draws tens of thousands each year to Myrtle Edwards Park for music and entertainment, vendors, forums and speakers.

It's a political rally above all else, and organizers used the event to campaign heavily for marijuana-related ballot measures in the past. But McPeak said it was easy to support legalization when it seemed like a far-off dream. Now that it's here, with dozens of pages attached, disagreements have surfaced.

Those opposed to I-502 say it doesn't go far enough.

It wouldn't legalize home growing except by medical-marijuana patients and would allow sales for recreation use only at state-licensed marijuana stores.

Another concern is the measure's driving under the influence, or DUI, provision, which would allow convictions based on the amount of active THC in a driver's bloodstream, which medical-marijuana patients say would effectively criminalize their driving. No amount of THC is allowed for drivers under 21.

"I believe that Hempfest should have taken a position against 502, and I think some of these national organizations who have come out in support of it have done so on a really knee-jerk basis," said Doug Hiatt of Sensible Washington, which opposes the initiative.

He calls the initiative "a ridiculous waste of time and money" because it doesn't actually repeal laws barring marijuana. Instead, the initiative makes an exception to existing law to allow people over 21 to possess up to one ounce.

"Changing 100 years of prohibition is going to be complicated," said McPeak.

Full Story: http://abcnews.go.com/US/seattle-he...lot-initiative/story?id=17033686#.UDk1WtZlTSg

f33lg00d;10850286 said:
Well 502 is obviously not perfect, but it's a step. I dont see any reason that someone pro full legalization would appose it.

Exactly how I feel man. We have to take what we can get at the current time as far as legalization efforts go. I can't wait for the day where all stoners can enjoy Marijuana without fear of prosection.

502 sucks ass, vote for 514

I went to Hempfest, they talked about this indeed. You can't grow ANY weed under 502 and have to buy it all from government shops

f33lg00d;10850286 said:
Well 502 is obviously not perfect, but it's a step.

In the wrong direction perhaps... it places full control of marijuana into the Gov... you know they're going to jack up the prices, they do at the dispensary already. Until we can grow we for ourselves and have it be FULLY legal, it's not worth the .9% tax on a dub

frankly I think you guys are being brainwashed by the dispensaries. Legalization in Washington would be a powerful symbol for the rest of the country.

Two years ago the dispensaries did something similar in California, and legalization failed. Today, the dispensaries are getting raped by the Feds.

Well, the Feds are always going to try and fuck with some kids that just want to get high...

but can you even conceive that we cannot grow a weed?? Any body can grow marijuana, it's not hard, and it's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper... if we vote for 502, we give up that completely.

502 isn't the only initiative on the ballot right now... it's the inferior of the two... so I kind of wonder why this article only talks about it.

Vote yes on 514 and the whole state will have a few plants in their attic by the end of the year

Taking control of the drug trade from the cartels and giving that directly to a big and corrupt government (wait, what's the difference..?) isn't exactly the best idea.... and no, I don't think we should settle for less.

Have any of you considered the fact that you are creating bullshit divisions forsaking the big picture? Go watch Life of Brian and shut the fuck up about the particulars. The rest of the nation, and the world, are waiting on you not to fuck up.

Just because we want marijuana legalized does not mean we need to vote for the first horrible law to come by.

502 is simply a law designed to put as much money in the hands of big business as possible, that's not something I support. If you can't grow a damn weed then there is a problem.

I know a lot of long term growers in Washington state, I grew up there, and truthfully most of them oppose 502 because it would be a loss of their livelihood. It's that simple.or complicated, however you want to look at it.

^ Yeah, I was gonna mention that actually. People that have been making their lively hoods for decades through growing the highest quality weed (sometimes doing it legally for the Government)... this would take that all away from them.

and I don't know about you guys, but I don't like paying $15 a gram for the same quality of weed I can buy for $10... the medical shops charge $13+ per gram plus a fat tax

Folley;10850748 said:
Vote yes on 514 and the whole state will have a few plants in their attic by the end of the year

but it's not legalization

yeah uh sorry; it's worded in a very confusing way

I just read 514, and it seems like complete free-market legalization, no?

And can you not vote "yes" on both 502 and 514?

Frankly, you Washingtonians should realize how lucky you are to have any marijuana legalization initiatives, and vote for ALL of them until something passes. Then move on from there. Don't extend prohibition because you're holding out for something perfectly suited to your individual taste.

Of course, the "growers" don't want a state monopoly on cannabis. No shit. Neither do the cartels. They're too greedy; they just want their money. Well, fuck the growers if they're going to impede progress like this just to keep their cash.

Didn't legailzation in Cali get shit on (partially) for that reason? Logic being: The growers currently in the "market" have invested large amounts of time and money into these clandestine systems and it would likely undercut their margins if suddenly any Joe Blow can gorw 4 ounces a month of killer kush. We came to the playground with our ball first and fuck you if you want to play with it.

I would havre thought that these people would be the same ones to suggest that marijuana being illegal is a huge conspiracy by Big Business. Well maybe there's some truth to that, it's just that when it comes to weed Big Business is all illegal.

This of course discounts the fact that while anyone can grow cannabis, it takes at least a little knowledge to knwo what the hell you're doing and to come out with a good crop and not a bunch of mushy rotting plants. Look at how many people have trouble telling male from female plants, or diagnosing nutrient deficiencies ... and those are generally the people who are at least mildly enthusiastic.

The average guy who wants some chronic isn't going to have a prime quality commercial hydroponic setup, he probably doesn't even water his houseplants.

Just legalize it so people can enjoy a plant without getting their life ruined. If it gets cheaper, oh well, let the best herb grower win.

These guys need to get some fucking perspective. It's a start, for christ sakes. You cannot always have everything your own way, that's the nature of compromise. But the fact is, once the ball is rolling and momentum picks up, such details can be amended over time as needed.

If you are opposed to this, and you vote NO just because you don't like the fact marijuana will be sold in government shops, you're a fool. Who do you think sells the alcohol and tobacco that millions of people consume everyday without fear of persecution or contaminated product? The governement does, through state licensed vendors who make sure their products are up to strict levels of quality control. You may not like "big government" getting involved, but I'm sorry: if you want prohibition to end then you're gonna have to accept the fact that the general population will want to see strict quality control, regulation, and education associated with it. And that means government intervention.

What's stopping you from carrying on buying it under the radar from Joe Bloggs down the street and breaking the law? Nothing. People still sell tobacco in this way to avoid tax laws, so I fail to see how this initiative will affect those of you who still want to do things your way. Then again you may find that such a regulatory scheme proves beneficial over time, since everyone can agree upon measures which make the whole thing safer and cleaner for everybody.

You can also vote on the other ballot if it suits you, so that's no excuse. There's no need to halt progress for everyone else just because of your anal desire for "the perfect law".

folley said:
but can you even conceive that we cannot grow a weed?? Any body can grow marijuana, it's not hard, and it's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper... if we vote for 502, we give up that completely.

You keep going on about how Washington citizens will be giving up the right to grow their own cannabis plants - but they're not allowed to at the moment anyway, because it's...erm... ILLEGAL!

Jesus christ, it's not as if the measure would make anything worse than it already is. As someone said before, it is a step in the right direction. Nothing is being made worse than the current situation of total illegality, but some things will be made a damn sight better.

Prohibition has been going on for far too long now on all drugs. The situation is intolerable for many in the people in the world. You could wait for the next 50 years pussyfooting around voting no on every such ballot that comes along just because it doesn't 100% fit your requirements. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands more people would die in a futile "war on drugs" just because people like you want all or nothing right now. Progress is made by chipping away in baby steps, not sitting around sulking like a child and boycotting every measure that comes along just because you can't get it all how you want it right now.

S.J.P.;10851055 said:
I just read 514, and it seems like complete free-market legalization, no?

The "Child Cannabis Protection Act" is free market legalization?

Folley, sorry if I was wrong about that.

look at what happened to california guys. they had a chance to legalize and they got too greedy with the fine print and now the gov is cracking down even harder there. dont look a gift horse in the mouth and legalize the shit you can always change the law later. who cares if you cant grow it yourself

AFAIK 514 means complete deregulation of anything involved with cannabis with only a few rules here and there (such as anything cannabis + anyone under 21; paraphernelia + anyone under 18; growing cannabis in an area larger than 400 sqft; carrying cannabis over the state borders). So possession, sale, purchase, use and cultivation are all legal. Just make sure anyone that comes near your weed is 21 or older.

Also, I absolutely fucking love how they named it the 'Child Cannabis Protection Act'. That's absolutely sneaky and I think much deceiving of well-meaning and concerned (grand)mothers will occur :D

Solide;10851705 said:
AFAIK 514 means complete deregulation of anything involved with cannabis with only a few rules here and there (such as anything cannabis + anyone under 21; paraphernelia + anyone under 18; growing cannabis in an area larger than 400 sqft; carrying cannabis over the state borders). So possession, sale, purchase, use and cultivation are all legal. Just make sure anyone that comes near your weed is 21 or older.

Yeah, that's exactly what I interpreted.

I think either one is a step in the right direction. My problems, if I read it right, with 502 is that it bans anyone suspected of past criminal activity from growing. That would basically cut out any grower who knows what the fuck their doing. Also it has an unscientific DUI law that doesn't factor in level of intoxication or legitimate medical use. Other than that it doesn't seem any different than some states liquor laws.

My problem with 514 is it's anti-federalist rant at the beginning. I don't like the implications of letting states ignore federal laws in other areas, for stuff like the environment, civil rights, worker's rights, etc. I for one feel that using drugs is an individual right that not even the states can take away. Also that the 400sqft plot has to be hidden. Other than that, good.

Love the name of 514, "Child Cannabis Protection Act". It like playing the reactionaries at there own game.They always sugarcoat their shit with deceptive phrases like "right to work", "protect marriage", "broaden the tax base", "tort reform", "protect our healthcare", "right to life", "ban preferential treatment", "secure the border", "crackdown on crime", "cut spending", "help job creators" and "to protect freedom". Take a guess what those really mean.