• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Managing Alcohol Withdrawal at home using Benzos.

Steel Rag

Greenlighter
Curious who else is or has been in a similar situation.

A few years ago i got a proper in patient medical detox, for the previous 3-4 years i was drinking around 20 drinks a day. It helped me get some weeks sober, but my living situation was essentially homeless so never was able to build enough positive routines to avoid slipping back.

I have had many 'relapses', though over the 3 years since my initial detox, i can count more sober days than not, and when i do drink my tolerance isn't quite as high. Feels like progress.

What has helped me is having a doctor who is willing to prescribe diazepam so i can detox and at home, or not have to wait months until a place in the clinic comes up.
It is happening a lot though, and i am curious if anyone else has a similar situation and how much you use to detox. I'll get 150mg diazepam, though 100-120 is usually enough to get through 4-5 days, then after that i feel great and can continue to be booze free for weeks/months until the cycle repeats.

I'm concerned relying on the diazepam, it doesn't seem like a huge dose but feels the only way to stop me if i'm losing control with alcohol.

Soon i'll have my own house again (sharing with people i don't know well atm, with similar issues) and think keeping consistent routines will help avoid so many relapses in future, for now just it's just managing things best i can and using the valium as responsibly as possible.

If any of you had to detox from Alcohol with diazepam, or any benzo, what was the dosage used to be most effective?

Many thanks!

Hi there and welcome to The Dark Side :)
Yes I have done an at-home detox off alcohol using benzos many times. The valium dose schedule will vary depending on how much you're drinking per day, and for how long you've been drinking.

It will also require some discipline on your behalf. Not only to stay off the booze, but also to stick to the original dose schedule of the diaz, and not then use it to get high instead, cos that will make everything harder in the long run. You'll also need to taper down and wean yourself off the valium, that takes a lot of discipline too.

The whole process should take 5-7 days depending on the severity of your withdrawal symptoms.

Are you drinking so much that there is a real risk of you having a seizure without booze??

Many thanks for the reply :)

No, i don't think i am at risk from seizures with recent drinking levels, when i go off track it's usually around 2 weeks before i look for help and at around 2 bottles of wine a day or 50cl whisky.
My doctor trusts me to be responsible. I'll get 150mg diazepam, so generally i'll start with 30mg on day 1 and 2, then go down from there and by day 6-7 5mg is the morning is my last dose.

I have heard of people needing (or using) far more, but 150mg just seems a lot as every few months i am going through it again.
After a week booze free, i don't have the cravings i used too, but with stress in life it's easy to fall back into old drinking habits.
Not had any adverse reactions with previous home detox, so will stick with the same plan and aim for another good run in the coming months. Keeping busy feels incredibly import to succeed.

Cheers!

Hey @Steel Rag

awesome work man. Alcohol fucking sucks as you are obviously aware.

thata fantastic you have more sober days than non sober over the last couple of years. Also finding a compassionate doctor that seems to be helping is really great.

I’ve battled against alcohol and other stuff for a few years.

i don’t want to talk exact numbers as I think some people are more prone to seizures than others, but I believe the worst period for me I drank every day for a year (maybe a day or 2 off with benzos) I can’t exactly remember.

For the past 8/10 years (maybe? I can’t remember) I’ve tried to stop drinking at various points and have gotten scripts for Valium (and Antabuse/disilfuram) every once in a while.

I know I’m not giving you much help in the way of dosages, but just want to let you know there are a lot of people who are/have gone through the same thing.

it sounds like you have gotten through the initial detox a bunch of times, what’s your plan for staying off alcohol?

good luck friend ✌️

Thanks for the encouraging words mate :)

It will always be a battle one way or another, certainly it would have been much harder without an understanding doctor. I moved to Netherlands a while back so getting an inpatient detox and access to a psychiatrist helped give me some tools to limit the damage. It was only a week but showed that i could do it, and felt the support was pretty good afterwards.

I have been 'homeless' for 3 years, and staying with an organization that gives a temporary room and helps people find a home. In A'dam there is little so I'm waiting for something to come up in a smaller city. Shouldn't be too far off now.
For staying off booze, having my own space will make keeping routines easier, and get back to doing something for work.

Through it all i was diagnosed with ADHD, so that has helped understand a lot about my self medicating. I'm prescribed Dex which helps a lot, but i don't take it all the time, and never if i have had a drinking period. Want to see how i can get on without being too dependant on anything. All my best years i just enjoyed a smoke.

Best wishes to you mate!