• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Making something extended release?

checktest

Bluelighter
I know this is the opposite question from many posts, but I was just curious for possible routes to approach.

Basically my friend has been prescribed methylphenidate since she was 6 years old. She has OCD and always fills her prescriptions and keeps everything. Hundreds of bottles as she reduced her dose but keeps filling because she feels compels not to leave something unfilled. I'm guessing she probably has close to 50 grams of the pills. She is moving and looking to get rid of some of her methylphenidate/dexmethylphenidate.

She was asking me to take some since she doesn't want to get rid of anything (pretty much ever) . I am prescribed methylphenidate but extended release. I take a smaller dose and am looking to not take multiple doses throughout the day. Something something tonic vs. Phasic dopamine regulation or whatever that hypothesis is. (Not that the double dose dumping of some extended release/long acting is really any different pharmacokinetically, but still.)

I wouldn't want to have it be hydrolyzed to ritalinic acid in water in making a solution. I was considering perhaps using some to make isopropylphenidate or ethylphenidate.

Basically what are some viable options for making extended release. Or even layering some on a patch for a DIY daytrana? Is it too unrealistic due to having to know polymer chemistry and the relative processes?

Also I guess this is synthesis of a sort and may be taken down but in the terms of harm reduction in appropriately matching my current regimen it may be viable. The opposite of making something short acting.

I get what you're saying, Ritalin and Ritalin LA/SR affect me in different ways even at the equivalent doses. The only thing I think you could do would be to look at how the doses are released, they're different for Ritalin LA, Ritalin SR, and Concerta, depending on which one you take. I'm pretty sure at least one of them just releases full doses at different times rather than a constant flow and they all start with a pretty big IR.

the extended release mechanism in Concerta is very hard to duplicate with kitchen-sink technology

a central problem is verification: unless you have the equipment to monitor the release of your pills in simulated gastric fluids over time, you'd be working in the dark so to speak, your pills could end up releasing very little or dumping the whole dose and you wouldn't know