• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids making poppy seed tea..

I used to buy the actual dried poppy pods, ground them up, boiled them, strained out the grinds and drank it, and never got zip from them, except sometimes violently sick the next day.

and this is from the actual pods, not just the seeds, so I'm curious that people can actually get high from the seeds, but if you do, always remember to start low as you can't measure how much opium might be in them

You might be a poor metabolizer too. Assuming you had no existing tolerance.

I mean, poor metabolizers are uncommon, but they're not exactly very uncommon.

I dunno. But they definitely can work in some situations.

You might be a poor metabolizer too. Assuming you had no existing tolerance.

I mean, poor metabolizers are uncommon, but they're not exactly very uncommon.

I dunno. But they definitely can work in some situations.

well I tried codeine and DHC and didn't get anything from them - titrated up to around 300mg - so figured I lacked the enzyme that metabolises them - is it the CYP2D6 enzyme you mentioned that is needed to convert codeine/DHC to morphine?

I thought trying the actual opium from pods might work better as it mostly contains morphine, but either the pods I used were bunk (although they were the Papaver Somniferum strain) and didn't contain morphine, or consuming opium in this fashion doesn't work - as they were dried pods, or it just doesn't personally work for me. I don't know which it is.

But while I got no pleasant effects from pods, the unpleasant effects the next day were awful - copious vomiting and terrible hangover

Last edited:
well I tried codeine and DHC and didn't get anything from them - titrated up to around 300mg - so figured I lacked the enzyme that metabolises them - is it the CYP2D6 enzyme you mentioned that is needed to convert codeine/DHC to morphine?

I thought trying the actual opium from pods might work better as it mostly contains morphine, but either the pods I used were bunk (although they were the Papaver Somniferum strain) and didn't contain morphine, or consuming opium in this fashion doesn't work - as they were dried pods, or it just doesn't personally work for me. I don't know which it is.

But while I got no pleasant effects from pods, the unpleasant effects the next day were awful - copious vomiting and terrible hangover

Yes, that enzyme metabolizes a bunch of these prodrugs into their active form. And some people either don't have it or don't have much of it.

The unpleasant affects are probably from thebaine.

Yes, that enzyme metabolizes a bunch of these prodrugs into their active form. And some people either don't have it or don't have much of it.

The unpleasant affects are probably from thebaine.

any way of testing if you have the enzyme or not? And is morphine also a prodrug?

If memory serves there's actually a bunch of opiates in poppy latex along with the well known ones. That and that it's taken orally is probably why it takes a while to come on and lasts so long.

And why its withdrawal can be surprisingly brutal given how relatively mild the habit otherwise is.

Well it's not just that, poppy pod tea and eating opium lasts like half as long as seeds.

Thing is even fairly strong poppy seeds are still probably on the low side of opioid strengths.

I mean they're still strong enough that potent seeds can kill an opioid naive person. But in anyone who's a heroin user, even with fairly potent seeds it's usually going to be a fairly mild effect even at the best of times. Assuming the heroin isn't garbage quality I mean.

Not true, strong seeds got me higher than heroin ever did, in fact good poppy seed tea is my favorite opioid. And I mean real heroin, many years ago I was visiting my family for a while and my friend was big into heroin at the time, and I was going to Chicago with him and picking up bundles of powder heroin with him. Some aspects of it were superior but I missed my poppy tea and was happy to get home. I once got some nearly pure heroin from Pakistan, 7mg would make me nod, and I'd say that was about on par in terms of personal preference (I didn't do PST yet then and my tolerance was still pretty low although I had been on opiates for years still, but mostly kratom and pharma morphine pills), it was cleaner feeling but the duration of PST s very appealing to me, and the high was very heavy and lovely.

Granted, I never IVed because I won't IV anything. Most seeds you can find are washed or very weak, though. I happened to have a good source for strong seeds for years. They were sticky with opium latex and a pound and a half got me nodding out for an entire day without redosing. In fact they were so strong that it was hard to even get high on anything else after I really settled into a serious habit.

Last edited:
Well it's not just that, poppy pod tea and eating opium lasts like half as long as seeds.

Not true, strong seeds got me higher than heroin ever did, in fact good poppy seed tea is my favorite opioid. Granted, I never IVed because I won't IV anything. Most seeds you can find are washed or very weak, though. I happened to have a good source for strong seeds for years.

I would wanna know how potent the heroin was in your area before believing that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't match my experiences and since heroin potency can vary a lot, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to wonder.

It is also worth mentioning though that my use of heroin is exclusively IV. As has almost all the people I've known. So I'm comparing with that.

any way of testing if you have the enzyme or not? And is morphine also a prodrug?

I don't believe it is no.

And yes, I believe genetic testing can determine if you express the enzyme. But it's probably a pretty expensive test.

I dunno if there's a cheaper way. It's basically a question of if your DNA causes the enzyme to be expressed if I understand correctly.

I'm sure IVing heroin is more euphoric and stronger than drinking PST, I only ever snorted it.

Also I edited more into my previous post.

Not true, strong seeds got me higher than heroin ever did, in fact good poppy seed tea is my favorite opioid. And I mean real heroin, many years ago I was visiting my family for a while and my friend was big into heroin at the time, and I was going to Chicago with him and picking up bundles of powder heroin with him. Some aspects of it were superior but I missed my poppy tea and was happy to get home. I once got some nearly pure heroin from Pakistan, 7mg would make me nod, and I'd say that was about on par in terms of personal preference (I didn't do PST yet then and my tolerance was still pretty low although I had been on opiates for years still, but mostly kratom and pharma morphine pills), it was cleaner feeling but the duration of PST s very appealing to me, and the high was very heavy and lovely.

Granted, I never IVed because I won't IV anything. Most seeds you can find are washed or very weak, though. I happened to have a good source for strong seeds for years. They were sticky with opium latex and a pound and a half got me nodding out for an entire day without redosing. In fact they were so strong that it was hard to even get high on anything else after I really settled into a serious habit.

did you think about trying pod tea rather than just the seeds? although the pods I've tried were all dried so no sticky latex. Perhaps you need to use fresh pods for them to work?

also how do you find Kratom?

I have tried pod tea, too. I never had as much availability for it, and seed tea lasts longer (for whatever reason, one user @negrogesic postulates that the oils in the seeds form a sort of time-release mechanism upon shaking to extract it into liquid, which seems plausible to me), so I prefer it anyway, though the pod tea hits quicker which is cool, so it feels more like eating actual opium (which it essentially is).

I'm in the USA, I literally can't escape kratom, they sell it at gas stations around here. There are like 50 places in town I can get kratom, including some that I regularly go for other stuff (gas stations). It actually really sucks for me. I used to order it online back in the day before it really caught on.

Last edited:
I would wanna know how potent the heroin was in your area before believing that.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't match my experiences and since heroin potency can vary a lot, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to wonder.

It is also worth mentioning though that my use of heroin is exclusively IV. As has almost all the people I've known. So I'm comparing with that.

Poppy seed tea can rival say smoked heroin in overall experience. Perhaps not in rush but in the totality of the experience. Comes on slow with a nice nose scratching high. The peak of which is great and very long lasting. Of course in rush it cant be compared. But overall I can see what @Xorkoth is saying.

These days id rather have a handful of methadone than a shot of heroin (but i dont IV). Heroin is pure bliss of course.

Smoked heroin, especially tar, can be pretty edgy sometimes.

Poppy seed tea can rival say smoked heroin in overall experience. Perhaps not in rush but in the totality of the experience. Comes on slow with a nice nose scratching high. The peak of which is great and very long lasting. Of course in rush it cant be compared. But overall I can see what @Xorkoth is saying.

These days id rather have a handful of methadone than a shot of heroin (but i dont IV). Heroin is pure bliss of course.

Smoked heroin, especially tar, can be pretty edgy sometimes.

You guys might be right. I just don't have enough experience with smoked heroin to argue this. I've always been an IV heroin user.

Yeah me too, always injected it. The first time i used heroin was IV 😔

But when i smoked it i wasnt a fan.

Yeah me too, always injected it. The first time i used heroin was IV 😔

Same. Frankly at the time I was so self destructive I wasn't thinking much at all about harm reduction or preserving my health.

I have tried pod tea, too. I never had as much availability for it, and seed tea lasts longer (for whatever reason, one user @negrogesic postulates that the oils in the seeds form a sort of time-release mechanism upon shaking to extract it into liquid, which seems plausible to me), so I prefer it anyway, though the pod tea hits quicker which is cool, so it feels more like eating actual opium (which it essentially is).

I'm in the USA, I literally can't escape kratom, they sell it at gas stations around here. There are like 50 places in town I can get kratom, including some that I regularly go for other stuff (gas stations). It actually really sucks for me. I used to order it online back in the day before it really caught on.

do you find kratom works? About how many grams do you take to feel a buzz?

I've tried several strains plus extracts but never really got much from it

Unfortunately, some people have the misconception that poppy tea is safe or less serious than other opiates simply because it comes from poppy seeds. However, this really isn't true. The seeds actually have a mix of morphine and codeine, along with other more minor alkaloids. So, it's basically multiple drugs in one, and the dosages can actually be quite high if you take enough. The amount of alkaloids in the seeds is highly variable, so it's important to start with a low dose (e.g. 80g or so) to determine if you want more or not.

You can absolutely overdose on the stuff if you take too much, just like any opiate. From what I have heard, the high is often very intense if you have no tolerance built up to opiates. The unfortunate issue is that it's addictive in a way that's a little different than most opiates. The high doesn't create much of a "rush" per say on the come up by comparison. So, it seems like it's relatively mild by comparison to other faster-acting opiates. However, the total dosage of alkaloids can actually be really high, and there's multiple types of them in the seeds.

So, the withdrawals are notoriously rough. Plus, the fact that they're cheap and easily available makes it all too easy to keep upping the dosage, which obviously contributes to addiction and could even lead to overdose. It isn't on the level of heroin use of course, but it's comparable to or worse than many/most pills. In addition to the horrid withdrawals from becoming a regular user, the difference in potency between batches can increase the overdose risk. Though, the fact that it's taken orally and that you can (and should) sip it rather than guzzling large amounts at once lowers this danger.

Still, it's not the relatively benign and harmless natural alternative to conventional opiates that some people think it is. So, it isn't a good idea to try to use it as a way to quit a pill habit or anything like that. You most likely will just end up switching addictions. If one is an IV drug user, drinking poppy tea can be a much less dangerous alternative to one's DOC. It's still highly addictive, causes horrendous withdrawals, and it's very possible to overdose on it like any opiate. Though, the risk of overdosing and dying is far lower than slamming dope obviously.

Relatively few people actually end up drinking enough of it to actually overdose and die, but it does happen enough to warrant serious caution with the dosage like any other opiate. Furthermore, many people on here have said that the taste of the stuff is absolutely and utterly vile. So, getting addicted to it and having to drink the stuff all the time to avoid withdrawal symptoms is an absolutely fucking miserable experience. It's essentially the Benzedrex of opiates. Obviously, it's completely different than that, but they both have the same sort of "shitty, yet addictive drug that probably won't actually end up killing you or anything" quality to them. Kratom is actually a safer alternative to opiates though.

Unfortunately, some people have the misconception that poppy tea is safe or less serious than other opiates simply because it comes from poppy seeds. However, this really isn't true. The seeds actually have a mix of morphine and codeine, along with other more minor alkaloids. So, it's basically multiple drugs in one, and the dosages can actually be quite high if you take enough. The amount of alkaloids in the seeds is highly variable, so it's important to start with a low dose (e.g. 80g or so) to determine if you want more or not.

You can absolutely overdose on the stuff if you take too much, just like any opiate. From what I have heard, the high is often very intense if you have no tolerance built up to opiates. The unfortunate issue is that it's addictive in a way that's a little different than most opiates. The high doesn't create much of a "rush" per say on the come up by comparison. So, it seems like it's relatively mild by comparison to other faster-acting opiates. However, the total dosage of alkaloids can actually be really high, and there's multiple types of them in the seeds.

So, the withdrawals are notoriously rough. Plus, the fact that they're cheap and easily available makes it all too easy to keep upping the dosage, which obviously contributes to addiction and could even lead to overdose. It isn't on the level of heroin use of course, but it's comparable to or worse than many/most pills. In addition to the horrid withdrawals from becoming a regular user, the difference in potency between batches can increase the overdose risk. Though, the fact that it's taken orally and that you can (and should) sip it rather than guzzling large amounts at once lowers this danger.

Still, it's not the relatively benign and harmless natural alternative to conventional opiates that some people think it is. So, it isn't a good idea to try to use it as a way to quit a pill habit or anything like that. You most likely will just end up switching addictions. If one is an IV drug user, drinking poppy tea can be a much less dangerous alternative to one's DOC. It's still highly addictive, causes horrendous withdrawals, and it's very possible to overdose on it like any opiate. Though, the risk of overdosing and dying is far lower than slamming dope obviously.

Relatively few people actually end up drinking enough of it to actually overdose and die, but it does happen enough to warrant serious caution with the dosage like any other opiate. Furthermore, many people on here have said that the taste of the stuff is absolutely and utterly vile. So, getting addicted to it and having to drink the stuff all the time to avoid withdrawal symptoms is an absolutely fucking miserable experience. It's essentially the Benzedrex of opiates. Obviously, it's completely different than that, but they both have the same sort of "shitty, yet addictive drug that probably won't actually end up killing you or anything" quality to them. Kratom is actually a safer alternative to opiates though.

Excellent post I agree with nearly every word. The only part I remotely disagree with is the last sentence. And mostly just cause I don't know enough about it (kratom) to agree.

+1

Kratom is absolutely safer than other opioids, it is, as far as I know, impossible to OD on because it doesn't depress breathing at all. Also there are diminishing returns beyond a certain point and dosing more just gives you a weird dizzy/crappy feeling, so it's self-limiting (in dosage). But it's definitely addictive and the duration is very short if you become addicted to it, so you end up redosing 4 or 5 times in a day and at that point, the withdrawals become pretty bad. It doesn't make you feel sick or achey like full agonist opioid withdrawals, but the RLS is even worse, god it's awful. If you're a person who doesn't consider the RLS to be the worst symptom of opiate withdrawals you might tend to think kratom has mild withdrawals but if you are (like you and me)... it really sucks.

do you find kratom works? About how many grams do you take to feel a buzz?

I've tried several strains plus extracts but never really got much from it

Kratom works, for sure. If you're relatively opiate naive, it even has a really nice high, I got into opiates with kratom and found it better than any other opiate experiences I had had to that point (hydrocodone and oxy). If you have a lot of opiate experience, it is more lackluster, but still, if you're not dependent on other opiates, it's rather nice, mild though. It also works pretty well to take away withdrawals from stronger opiates but you won't get high, you'll just not be sick.

It's not worth trying to get if it's illegal in your country or really hard to get.

Kratom is absolutely safer than other opioids, it is, as far as I know, impossible to OD on because it doesn't depress breathing at all. Also there are diminishing returns beyond a certain point and dosing more just gives you a weird dizzy/crappy feeling, so it's self-limiting (in dosage). But it's definitely addictive and the duration is very short if you become addicted to it, so you end up redosing 4 or 5 times in a day and at that point, the withdrawals become pretty bad. It doesn't make you feel sick or achey like full agonist opioid withdrawals, but the RLS is even worse, god it's awful. If you're a person who doesn't consider the RLS to be the worst symptom of opiate withdrawals you might tend to think kratom has mild withdrawals but if you are (like you and me)... it really sucks.

Kratom works, for sure. If you're relatively opiate naive, it even has a really nice high, I got into opiates with kratom and found it better than any other opiate experiences I had had to that point (hydrocodone and oxy). If you have a lot of opiate experience, it is more lackluster, but still, if you're not dependent on other opiates, it's rather nice, mild though. It also works pretty well to take away withdrawals from stronger opiates but you won't get high, you'll just not be sick.

It's not worth trying to get if it's illegal in your country or really hard to get.

it was easier to get here in the UK before 2016 when the government brought in a 'legal high' bill. Of course they didn't know what the fuck kratom was but banned it anyway in response to misinformed tabloid scare stories.

Is it worth using extracts with plain leaf Kratom powder in your opinion? Does it give the kratom a boost, or does it just tip you into the too much dizzy/crappy territory?

There's something off about the tea itself. I think its possible the first digestion of the tea is not a good time for many people. I can't think of an opiate containing so many alkloids other than the poppy tea. My first experience making it was somewhat pleasant, but then I was scratching myself non-stop and dazed eyed for an entire weeek. I've never heard of anyone who experienced effects so prolonged like this..

But its possible the army of alkoids taken were not something I was used to. I wish I tried more attempts at making it.. but then again looking back on it--I can't imagine myself having self control with the tea. Obviously then withdrawing to impossible-to-hide levels in all the wrong places, lol. Such is life :)