• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Making meth out of straight Ephedra plant?

I once read viridis contained much more pseudoephedrine than ephedrine but this doesnt make alot of sense to me.

It’s very possible other species get sold as “Mormon tea” but from all the sources I’ve seen it typically refers to E. nevadensis. Is E. viridis native to North America too?

-GC

I don't know. I get it on a very popular corporate internet site for about $35 a bag.

"The North American variety (Mormon Tea) appears to be devoid of alkaloids entirely."

"The North American variety (Mormon Tea) appears to be devoid of alkaloids entirely."

I’ve seen mixed talk on this. My impression is that it’s devoid of Ephedrine and Pseudoephedrine but still contains PPA, which is still stimulating.

I see some places also refer to Mormon tea as the species you mentioned, it’s probably a round about term for a few species.

-GC

I've been looking into the meth being produced in afghanistan an wondering i anyone knows more about it. I hope it's slot better than the Mexican shit. If sonic hope I makes it way to the west coast. Here's a link

The process of extracting ephedrine from Ma Huang is long and tedious. Most of the ephedrine is produced synthetically. You can make ephedrine by fermentation, though, As for using the herb straight out, it would create an unpurifiable gunk.

Why would anyone want to make methamphetamine, anyway? Using meth is the most sure-fire way of getting Parkinson't Disease. It also is strongly inflammatory in the brain, and makes your astrocytes die and your glial cells to attack your own brain tissue.

If you are going to use meth, take it orally in doses below 50 mg, and take it with lipid-soluble antioxidants that can cross the blood-brain barrier like tocopheryl acetate, alpha-lipoic acid and astaxanthin. Not that it will work, but it will at least diminsh somewhat the neurotoxic effects of the drug. There is also evidnece that calcitriol, the active form of vitamin D, protects neurons from the toxicity of meth.

d67e28.jpg

The process of extracting ephedrine from Ma Huang is long and tedious. Most of the ephedrine is produced synthetically. You can make ephedrine by fermentation, though, As for using the herb straight out, it would create an unpurifiable gunk.

Why would anyone want to make methamphetamine, anyway? Using meth is the most sure-fire way of getting Parkinson't Disease. It also is strongly inflammatory in the brain, and makes your astrocytes die and your glial cells to attack your own brain tissue.

If you are going to use meth, take it orally in doses below 50 mg, and take it with lipid-soluble antioxidants that can cross the blood-brain barrier like tocopheryl acetate, alpha-lipoic acid and astaxanthin. Not that it will work, but it will at least diminsh somewhat the neurotoxic effects of the drug. There is also evidnece that calcitriol, the active form of vitamin D, protects neurons from the toxicity of meth.

Some people, like myself, only use very low oral doses very infrequently.. It’s totally possible to use this drug responsibly in my opinion.

First tried meth alone 4 years ago and pretty sure I’ve only used it like 6 or so times in dosages of less than 10mg each time. Probably wont use it again for awhile though as it’s agonistic effects on TAAR1 increase risk of certain cancers as well which I’m dealing with.. (Same with amp, MDMA, and the APB Class.)

-GC

Some people, like myself, only use very low oral doses very infrequently.. It’s totally possible to use this drug responsibly in my opinion.

First tried meth alone 4 years ago and pretty sure I’ve only used it like 6 or so times in dosages of less than 10mg each time. Probably wont use it again for awhile though as it’s agonistic effects on TAAR1 increase risk of certain cancers as well which I’m dealing with.. (Same with amp, MDMA, and the APB Class.)

-GC

You should buy more lottery tickets with luck like that.

there are many different species of Ephedra, I was under the impression that E. sinica was the species traditionally used as a source of ephedrine.
The paper that claims that no North American species contain any alkaloids is from 1927 and uses some old colorimetric assay (not even specific for ephedrine - it's for belladonna?). Who knows how long the plant was stored, and under what conditions (ephedrine/norephedrine are not super stable)...
It seems that depending on the species of Ephedra you look at, there is either no alkaloid, or there is some combination of the 6 different ephedrine alkaloids: ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, norephedrine/phenylpropanolamine, norpseudoephedrine/cathine, N-methylephedrine, and/or N-methylpseudoephedrine can all be present in varying amounts.

Commercially it is cheapest to make ephedrine and pseudoephedrine by using enzymes to condense benzaldehyde with pyruvate (which can be produced from glucose metabolism) to make enantiomerically pure L-PAC which can undergo reductive amination to make L-ephedrine. L-ephedrine can be isomerized to D-pseudoephedrine without too much difficulty.

Last edited:
My Mormon tea says it's ephedra viridis. It's pleasant enough, but I have no idea if it contains ephedrine.
Mormon tea doesn't contain the same stuff as Ephedra Sinica I'm pretty sure... I've been trying to grow Ephedra Sinica for many years and have one growing right now barely! I'm growing it to chew the shit out of it and eat the shit. I've had very positive experiences with this stuff back in highschool when it was legal. I absolutely love it and when compared to the psudo shit you get now from pharmacies it pisses me off. Anyways this shit is very hard to get sprouted but once it does it literally will never die unless you stop watering it or over water it. I noticed it wasn't growing at all for like 3 months so I added some fertilizer for hydroponic vegetative growth and it started to grow VERY fast. I'm taking it very easy on this one because I don't want it to die as I've invested many months into it. Once it's large enough to make a clone or two I will try adding way more fertilizer to see if it will grow even faster and hardier. Right now I'm treating it like a bonsai tree haha.

Anyways with what I've seen they have the right soil, the right weather, and access to plenty of water. All they would need to do is track in fertilizers and this stuff grows like crazy. They wont be able to produce enough meth to compete with Mexican meth but their meth may be able to fetch a higher price idk. high price for not being made from synthetic chemicals? All organic haha.

20201227_041128.jpg

I looked into using ephedra but since those products are not regulated at all you could get anywhere from 2-20 percent purity and like the above poster said it makes for really shitty meth and doesn't come close to pure ephedrine hcl. There is a paper out there that says some california labs do this with decent results but all agree that you'll never get anywhere near as good a product. Pure ephedrine is cheap and can be bought in any quantity in canada at any vitamin shop.

Ask any cook with experience and they will tell you not to use ephedra.

That statement is a bit hyperbolic. The only major large-scale long-term study of the link between meth and Parkinson’s found that:

“To put the study findings into numbers, if 10,000 people with methamphetamine dependence were followed over 10 years, 21 would develop Parkinson's, compared with 12 people out of 10,000 from the general population.”
That's almost twice as much! Do you even know how to read statistics? Because you have just disproven your own point.

That's almost twice as much! Do you even know how to read statistics? Because you have just disproven your own point.
Statistics: yes. I’m also quite handy with the English language and reasoned arguments. You said Meth was a “sure fire way to get Parkinsons”. I did not say Meth does not or cannot contribute to Parkinsons. I said you were hyperbolic in your claim because “sure-fire” implies it is basically guaranteed you’ll get Parkinsons if you use meth. In fact it is highly unlikely that you will. What the cited study demonstrates is that statistically speaking a meth user has more risk than someone who has not been a meth user That was clear in my original post.

Bluelight is full of emotive and hyperbolic claims about different drugs, I’m just trying to keep things factual.

Statistics: yes. I’m also quite handy with the English language and reasoned arguments. You said Meth was a “sure fire way to get Parkinsons”. I did not say Meth does not or cannot contribute to Parkinsons. I said you were hyperbolic in your claim because “sure-fire” implies it is basically guaranteed you’ll get Parkinsons if you use meth. In fact it is highly unlikely that you will. What the cited study demonstrates is that statistically speaking a meth user has more risk than someone who has not been a meth user That was clear in my original post.

Bluelight is full of emotive and hyperbolic claims about different drugs, I’m just trying to keep things factual.

Your English is actually pretty average. English is a second language to me, and I don't find your phrasing or grammar are particularly good. As for reasoned arguments, your argument is not reasoned at all. You basically shot yourself in the proverbial foot by disproving your own claims. Stating that I am wrong because not every one that takes meth develops Parkinson's is asinine, because not 100% of people will develop a particular illness to anyting. Hell, there are people that are exposed to MPTP, which is one of the most potent neurotoxins to dopaminergics neurons and don't develop Parkinson's. Basing your argument on a dicothomy of either/or is absurd. Meth is a proven neurotoxin. In fact, a few years back the FDA almost revoked the license for Desoxyn on the grounds of all the studies, done in both cell cultures and live rodents and monkeys, that demonstrated dramatic declines in substantia nigra volume and dopamine metabolites. Granted, humans tend to be more resilient to neurotoxic models than rodents and monkeys due to higher levels of antioxidant enzymes like SOD and catalase, but that meth is harmful to the brain is NOT debatable.

Hyperbole? Hardly. What I think is that you are a meth user, you enjoy the euphoria that it cases and you want to justify, to yourself, that meth is not really that harmful. But it is. And here is the thing...I LOVE meth. It is my favorite drug ever, more than coke, other amphetamines or opiates. But this drug is incredibly hard on the system. Meth makes even strong DRIs like methylphenidate and amineptine seem like candy in comparison. It is a terrible drug that gives a rush of euphoria that is unmatched. While coke makes you feel on top of the World, meth makes you feel like the conqueror of the Universe. It is amazingly strong and euphoric, but we cannot pretend that it is harmless.

Your English is actually pretty average. English is a second language to me, and I don't find your phrasing or grammar are particularly good. As for reasoned arguments, your argument is not reasoned at all. You basically shot yourself in the proverbial foot by disproving your own claims. Stating that I am wrong because not every one that takes meth develops Parkinson's is asinine, because not 100% of people will develop a particular illness to anyting. Hell, there are people that are exposed to MPTP, which is one of the most potent neurotoxins to dopaminergics neurons and don't develop Parkinson's. Basing your argument on a dicothomy of either/or is absurd. Meth is a proven neurotoxin. In fact, a few years back the FDA almost revoked the license for Desoxyn on the grounds of all the studies, done in both cell cultures and live rodents and monkeys, that demonstrated dramatic declines in substantia nigra volume and dopamine metabolites. Granted, humans tend to be more resilient to neurotoxic models than rodents and monkeys due to higher levels of antioxidant enzymes like SOD and catalase, but that meth is harmful to the brain is NOT debatable.

Hyperbole? Hardly. What I think is that you are a meth user, you enjoy the euphoria that it cases and you want to justify, to yourself, that meth is not really that harmful. But it is. And here is the thing...I LOVE meth. It is my favorite drug ever, more than coke, other amphetamines or opiates. But this drug is incredibly hard on the system. Meth makes even strong DRIs like methylphenidate and amineptine seem like candy in comparison. It is a terrible drug that gives a rush of euphoria that is unmatched. While coke makes you feel on top of the World, meth makes you feel like the conqueror of the Universe. It is amazingly strong and euphoric, but we cannot pretend that it is harmless.

When someone says “sure fire way” it implies highly likely, I think Atelier did well explain how it isn’t.. Semantics I suppose but since English isn’t your first language it makes sense you may not realize that.

Also the poison is in the dosage, low doses of methamphetamine (similar to Amphetamine) actually provide neuroprotection and possibly neurogenesis.

-GC