• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Major Health Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodle448

Bluelighter
Currently, I am very concerned about the health of my girlfriend. Before I can discuss my concern, I would like to provide a bit of details about our current drug usage for a slight better understanding of what exactly is going on.

My girlfriend and I are IV heroin users. We do about 3-4 shots of tar a day. On occasion, we will do meth also, and boy do we love our speedballs! For me, I only inject meth when I am doing a speedball; Other than that, when I do meth, I will smoke it and only take about 3 or 4 hits. I'm not a very big fan of meth for the most part, it just sounds kind of nice every now and then. Meth and I do not really get long because when I do it, (it's pretty much the same feeling for me completely, regardless of injecting it or smoking it,) I will feel really good for about 3 to 4 hours, but then I'll begin to crash and I will begin feeling this awful "peak," which does nothing but cause me to be excessively paranoid, anxious and depressed, along with moderate meth psychosis (it's a 50%/50% chance every time I do it if I will experience this,) for an average of 2 days.

Putting my moderate hatred for meth aside, I believe I should talk about my girlfriend, who kind of worries me when it comes to meth. She will normally IV heroin, then when she does meth, IV the meth right after; When she's doing meth, each dose of meth will normally be around 0.1g to 0.2g with around 1 to 2 doses daily. These past two weeks have been the exception. Her dosing for meth had been around 0.35g with an average of 6 doses (IV) per day. Every day these past few weeks, she's been doing 6 doses weighing out at 0.35g; She has not eaten a single thing, and she has probably only had about 10 glasses of water in these two past weeks, which is nowhere near enough, especially when taking these amounts of meth.

Now, with all of that information provided, here is a little story about what happened. Yesterday, her and I had done our first heroin IV of the day. All went well, it helped us both not be sick and helped get us high. Fast forward an hour. My girlfriend decides that it's a good time that we do a little bit more heroin to just get a little higher. This wasn't anything new for us, nor would I expect it to be for any other IV users. Well, I got my shot first and I felt the rush, then I was blasted! My girlfriend goes to do her shot, but adds 0.12 of meth into it, she shoots it and starts feeling very ill, almost instantly. We didn't think much of it, because meth has always made her stomach hurt. Well, time passes, and she's more and more sick and she's almost in tears at this point and wants to go to the hospital.

I drive her to the hospital, we walk into the Emergency Room, and at this point, she is aware that she's probably very dehydrated. I don't really understand why, but she tells all the doctors and the nurses that she fainted. They keep helping her with her intake and all that good ER stuff, then they ask her how much she weighs. She tells the doctor "300," and then the doctor asks her to step on the scale which reads 270. This is scary. I know for a fact that she did weigh 300, and now the doctor is saying that she weighs 270. The doctor asked her when the last time she'd checked her weight was, and she says that it was last Thursday, 15 days ago. She had lost 30 pounds in two weeks. After this, and a few more final steps and checks, they finally put her in one of the Emergency Room rooms, and they see she's dehydrated and so they get her all set up with a drip of liquids to help hydrate her. She laid in that bed for 10 hours before the doctors decided that she was hydrated enough to leave, and they discharged her.

My girlfriend doesn't seem to be too worried about the fact that she lost 30 pounds in two weeks, and that it took her 10 hours to get hydrated and all the fluids she needed to be healthily hydrated again; I am very worried about her, and think that she may need to cut down on the meth. She's already begun to drink more water, she didn't pick anymore meth up when she ran out today, and seems to be doing better. However, she is still refusing to eat.

I was wondering what you guys thought, and if this would in any way at all be acceptable that she lost so much weight? Can somebody please give me some more information so I can either try to talk some sense into her, or so I can stop worrying?:?

It seems quite obvious to you that she should stop, and you're correct. Being admitted to the ER for dehydration is not in any way normal, and you're both taking big risks with your health on your current usage protocol. Her risk of developing a potentially life-threatening blood clot would have been sky high at that point.

Why don't you both agree to stop using the meth and then to reduce your IV heroin as much as you can for now?

30 pounds means she lost 10% of her weight in 15 days. This is not unusual with Meth. It speeds the hell out of the central nervous system, on top of dehydration and lack of food dramatic weight loss is to ensue.

I had completely forgotten about that increasing the risk of a blood clot. I couldn't agree more with you on cutting back on heroin and just taking a break from meth. She's agreed to cutting back on heroin, which was something we had been talking about for a while; I am starting to get much more concerned about her problem with meth, however. I had tried talking to her on the way home from the hospital about how it would be a good idea if we both took a break for a decent amount of time from meth, (which I have absolutely no problem with,) and she had said "I guess I can go one day without doing it," which I had replied to her by saying that I think it would be better to probably not do it for more than just one day, and she snapped at me. I truly believe that this is becoming much bigger than just a binge for her. Would there be a fitting place on this forum to post a little bit about this and possibly get some advice on how to handle this situation better?
It seems quite obvious to you that she should stop, and you're correct. Being admitted to the ER for dehydration is not in any way normal, and you're both taking big risks with your health on your current usage protocol. Her risk of developing a potentially life-threatening blood clot would have been sky high at that point.

Why don't you both agree to stop using the meth and then to reduce your IV heroin as much as you can for now?

Is that bad, or something to be worried about, since it's 10%?

30 pounds means she lost 10% of her weight in 15 days. This is not unusual with Meth. It speeds the hell out of the central nervous system, on top of dehydration and lack of food dramatic weight loss is to ensue.

I had completely forgotten about that increasing the risk of a blood clot. I couldn't agree more with you on cutting back on heroin and just taking a break from meth. She's agreed to cutting back on heroin, which was something we had been talking about for a while; I am starting to get much more concerned about her problem with meth, however. I had tried talking to her on the way home from the hospital about how it would be a good idea if we both took a break for a decent amount of time from meth, (which I have absolutely no problem with,) and she had said "I guess I can go one day without doing it," which I had replied to her by saying that I think it would be better to probably not do it for more than just one day, and she snapped at me. I truly believe that this is becoming much bigger than just a binge for her. Would there be a fitting place on this forum to post a little bit about this and possibly get some advice on how to handle this situation better?
I suggest you post this thread on "The Dark Side" section of this forum. You will get a lot more replies as to how to approach this situation with your gf.

Your girlfriend arrived in the famous meth abuse region called material balance. Material balance is defined as the body's inability to:

- vasoconstrict any further
- produce energy
- process intake vitamins
- make further neurotransmitters

because of:

- a lack of raw material available by absence of food in the intestines combined with:
- an insufficient rate of muscle/fat breakdown to sustain life or:
- insufficient water to hydrolyze nutrients into raw material or:
- lack of electrolytes.

The way to proceed is to administer a very small meal with a glass of water every 3-4 hours. A large meal can cause serotonin syndrome and death, as there is too high of a signal to produce neurotransmitters and an absence of food to fulfill it. In other words, your girlfriend already overdosed, but she doesn't have the food required to make those neurotransmitters that her brain ordered for and actually kill her.

I would be thrilled to lose 30lbs in 2 weeks! :\ it usually take me at least 6. but I imagine if I weighed 300lbs I could do it in 2. xP

I assume she's been doing so much meth that she hasn't had any appetite/hasn't been eating; and meth/uppers in general will also, as you said, dehydrate you, and therefore make you lose a fuck ton of water weight.

maybe it's my anorexia talking, but I find it rather difficult to be concerned about someone who weighs 300lbs losing 30.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if she wants to feel better, obviously she's got to lay the hell off the meth. no way around that.

if she wants to feel better, obviously she's got to lay the hell off the meth. no way around that.

Sure there is. It's called know what you're talking about and don't give approximate information. All she needs to do is sleep for 2 nights and eat for 3 days, then she can get right back at it. Don't take advantage of emotionally sensitive people facing a bad side effect to tell them the drug made them sick. It is not meth that made her sick, it is her meth intake methodology that left her dehydrated with her body running on empty.

When you haven't eaten, drank nor slept for days, you will be severely ill because the absence of food/water/sleep by itself, is enough to cause her symptoms. Think about it, meth didn't make her sick in her first shot, nor in her second, nor in her third, nor in her fourth. So what changed with time that made her sick? Lack of water/food/sleep. So the proper advice to give is:

While doing meth, watch your food/water intake, and ensure you get some form of sleep every once in a while. Thank you.

Sure there is. It's called know what you're talking about and don't give approximate information. All she needs to do is sleep for 2 nights and eat for 3 days, then she can get right back at it. Don't take advantage of emotionally sensitive people facing a bad side effect to tell them the drug made them sick. It is not meth that made her sick, it is her meth intake methodology that left her dehydrated with her body running on empty.

When you haven't eaten, drank nor slept for days, you will be severely ill because the absence of food/water/sleep by itself, is enough to cause her symptoms. Think about it, meth didn't make her sick in her first shot, nor in her second, nor in her third, nor in her fourth. So what changed with time that made her sick? Lack of water/food/sleep. So the proper advice to give is:

While doing meth, watch your food/water intake, and ensure you get some form of sleep every once in a while. Thank you.

gee, I wonder what it is that makes you not sleep/not want to eat? maybe meth?
"sleep for 2 nights & eat for 3 days" <<-- that would probably involve cutting down on meth usage yes?
so the point stands -- if she wants to feel better, she should lay the hell off the meth.
or not. I mean it's not like it's toxic or anything right? 8)

and FWIW my boyfriend is a hardcore tweaker and at this point can eat & sleep while staying twacked the fuck out 24/7, yet that doesn't seem to make him any less fucked up. :\ you know actually, he's been way more fucked up since now he doesn't feel the need to take any breaks to crash for a while.
^ just one person though, and admittedly he sure as hell cannot handle his shit.

gee, I wonder what it is that makes you not sleep/not want to eat? maybe meth?
"sleep for 2 nights & eat for 3 days" <<-- that would probably involve cutting down on meth usage yes?
so the point stands -- if she wants to feel better, she should lay the hell off the meth.
or not. I mean it's not like it's toxic or anything right? 8)

and FWIW my boyfriend is a hardcore tweaker and at this point can eat & sleep while staying twacked the fuck out 24/7, yet that doesn't seem to make him any less fucked up. :\ you know actually, he's been way more fucked up since now he doesn't feel the need to take any breaks to crash for a while.
^ just one person though, and admittedly he sure as hell cannot handle his shit.

I thought you meant to lay off meth permanently. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the English language lol. What makes you not want to eat is poor organization and the absence of food that's juicy, fresh and easy to swallow like things involving mayonnaise or cooked red potato with oil. That's mushy and you can get it in pretty easy even if your mouth is dry as a rock. Of course, if you have some old fried chicken in your fridge, it will feel like eating Kleenex tissue and you'll give up after chewing a few grams and spitting it back out. Organization...know what to expect, know what to prepare and act according to plan.

If you mean that she should lay off the meth for the next 3 days you're entirely correct. Right now she's badly hurt, if, in her current state, she continues to take meth she will only hurt herself even more. She's at the end of her trip, she needs sleep, food, water and relaxation for a few days so she can start it all over again on Thursday.

....A large meal can cause serotonin syndrome and death, as there is too high of a signal to produce neurotransmitters and an absence of food to fulfill it. In other words, your girlfriend already overdosed, but she doesn't have the food required to make those neurotransmitters that her brain ordered for and actually kill her.
Uhhhh, what? Pretty sure not. And to OP you are about to contend with what kept me on meth for so long-that all risk goes out the window when rapid weight loss is the payoff. I lost 30 lbs in a month but was around 160 at the time. I've been off speed for a long time now but the effectiveness is a huge temptation still. I never felt sexier than the height of my speed addiction. I never felt more like myself and I never felt like I matched my self image as well as I did then. Be aware that a meth comedown is riddled with rage and suicidal level depression. Yes I think a lifestyle change is warranted before it gets worse but for me while the physical symptoms were not so bad, the psychological ones were and whatever lead her to want drugs in the first place is not only going to be there waiting to take over every conscious thought but the rebound weight gain is going to make her that much more miserable with sobriety. Get a support system going now and start doing things to compensate (take long walks, join a gym, go swimming, etc.).

i

This is one thing i could never tell you......since i was 16 years old i was 6;2 blonde hair blue eyes 175.........im 32 now i look the exact same.l have no wrinkles, not balding one bit, i could be looked exactly in the yearbook. I also take adderall every once in a while prescribed 30mg, 90 pills, 5, 2 mg xanax, and 40 mg of methadone. I obviously take way less than supposed to. Maybe 1 bar, 1 adderall and 2 methadone a day, the rest i keep so no idiot trys to steal it....... is that too much?i have a good job as a software engineer, but i m on xanax adderall and methadone everyday, which is a killer combo but i dont take nearly as what i am supposed to take, oh well everyday is good with me, my health, working out, somewhat.....i can just look at the bottle and wheen i fill i have soo many left,. but now we have to worry about benzos after being on them for 15 years cuz psychiatrists can give you a piss test. i get one from my new dr i know to stop everything 2 weeks before but keep everything you are supposed to take in your system,.....then you have extra to fuck around with...i love those months, having 40 extra bars,.hahah

Uhhhh, what? Pretty sure not. And to OP you are about to contend with what kept me on meth for so long-that all risk ]goes out the window when rapid weight loss is the payoff. I lost 30 lbs in a month but was around 160 at the time. I've been off speed for a long time now but the effectiveness is a huge temptation still. I never felt sexier than the height of my speed addiction. I never felt more like myself and I never felt like I matched my self image as well as I did then. Be aware that a meth comedown is riddled with rage and suicidal level depression. Yes I think a lifestyle change is warranted before it gets worse but for me while the physical symptoms were not so bad, the psychological ones were and whatever lead her to want drugs in the first place is not only going to be there waiting to take over every conscious thought but the rebound weight gain is going to make her that much more miserable with sobriety. Get a support system going now and start doing things to compensate (take long walks, join a gym, go swimming, etc.).

I obviously take way less than supposed to. Maybe 1 bar, 1 adderall and 2 methadone a day, the rest i keep so no idiot trys to steal it....... is that too much?
You obviously take way more than you need to as evidenced by that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.