Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Magic Mushroom ID - Melbourne

acidis

Bluelighter
Hi,
I recently found large numbers of mushrooms that I believe "look" very much like psilocybe azurescens. They were found growing in woodchips in groups, they bruise blue when picked. Around 5 CM tall and between 1 and 4 CM cap diameter. Please comment on saftey of eating these mushrooms.
Thankyou

Welcome 2 Bluelight Acidis!
It is the season 2 b jolly - Mushie Season, yay, so there's a chance that the mushies u've found are magic, however there's also a chance that there not.
Identifying a magic mushie can be very hard, especially if u don't know what ure looking 4, and r going from pics or descriptions.
It's true, MMs can grow in wood chips or sawdust, it's also true that MM's stain blue wen picked or wen the cap is damaged....the dimensions also sound about right.
HOWEVER there r other varieties of mushies that stain blue and r not magic. There r also mushies that have the same dimensions as u've described and look almost identical 2 MMs, these mushies will kill u tho...where I pick these mushies grow right along side the MMs.
I would love 2 tell u that the mushies u've got r the magic ones (ure description sounds like they r) but there's no way I could b 100% certain unless I saw them in real life....a pic may help, but even then I still wouldn't b 100%. I'd hate 2 say 'go 4 it m8' and then find out I was wrong and u spent ure last few hours on this world in extreme pain as ure liver shut down and toxins filled ure blood. Your best bet is 2 find someone who has experience in picking MM's and get them 2 give u a yay or nay.
There was a thread about sum guy finding mushies in his bathroom asking if they were magic, and johnnyonelove gave an excellent web site which has a testa 4 psilocybin find it Here
everything else u'd want 2 know about mushies can be found at The Shoomery
[ 23 May 2002: Message edited by: BigTrancer ]

Thankyou Lord Kaos,
Im aware of the Shroomery and Erroid and Lycaeum etc. I have read many many texts on identification and looked at numerous photo's of the strain I believe it is amongst others.
Being a first time picker I am hestant as I know the deadly consequenses. But even now when Im almost sure that they are what they seem to be I think twice.
I to have found the mushrooms you reffer to that grow allong side the magic ones. Are they a slightly lighter colour when dry and dont stain blue?
Also in regards to the ones I believe are magic, they have a slight nipple and sort of creamy brown gills with greeny blue bits here and there due to bruising.
Can you make any more comments on this?
I understand no one but myself can be responsible for me taking these mushrooms and I wasnt expected an affirmative response when I posted on Blue Light. As that if far to much to ask for. Your response helps allot thankyou

OH I may be able to get a photo as a friend has a digital cam that I can use. Would you be happy to look at a photo?

Nice 2 c u've done ure research bud ;)
The mushies I refer 2 that are not magic, but look very similair are lighter in colour, have more of a woody stem, don't stain blue and the gills r different (i can't remember xactly wat is different about the gills, sorry)
Yes the magic variety have a nipple on top and the gills are exactly as u've described....greeny tinges, creamy colour, etc.
The cap starts off fairly round and cone shaped, but as it grows it expands and becomes flatter. BTW, the small ones r more powerful....especially if there is still a white membrane covering the gills, or bits of the membrane are still visible
u can send me photo if u want, make sure u get shots of the cap, the gills and the stem.
A pic of some un-picked ones would b helpful 2.
My addy is [email protected]

acidis: Try the mushroom identification forum on the shroomery. There are Australians there also, and maybe even a AU forum?
Check anyway, they will want pictures, and possibly a spore print.

oh yeah another resource, with a lot of experienced shroomers would be the newsgroup alt.drugs.mushrooms
lotsa australian shroomers in there last time I checked....altho that was a couple of years ago now, I don't know how popular it is now

[Edit: Dangerous and potentially fatal advice removed. BigTrancer]

halmoney i cant agree with that advice its too risky. acidis has the right to be toey, if he eats some galerinas by mistake he could die.
if in doubt dont eat them.
Another step you can take in postively iding them is taking a spore print.

...i did a bit of reading on a normal mushroom website, one that wont have to deal with any legalities if soemone dies from eating what they think to be magic mushies, and they pretty much said that nearly ALL mushrooms will have no ill effects, especially if taken in small amounts...
Halmoney this is extremely dangerous advice to give. Some mushrooms can be extremely toxic and can cause irreversible liver damage. You should never eat mushrooms you aren't sure about. It’s not worth gambling your health on one trip.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the overwhelming response. Im starting to think twice about this whole deal now. As I mentioned above I have found two varieties. One I am amost totaly sure are azuraceans (spelling?) and another that I initialy believed where poisonouse look alikes. I have now noticed that the lighter coloured fungi with amost exactly the same physical decription but more concave caps buise allot bluer than the other ones. Any coments?

Erowid --> Psilocybin Mushroom Vault --> Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand
Erowid --> Psilocybin Mushroom Vault --> Psilocybin Mushroom Image Vault
From the vault -- Psilocybe azurescens:
psilocybe_azurescens6.jpg

BigTrancer :)

Paul Stamet's rule of Thumb
"IF a mushroom stains blue AND has blue to black spore prints it is most likely a psilocybin mushroom, however, although i know of no exceptions to the rule does not mean there isn't one."
Also, the differences between species of fungus can quite often be only microscopic. It is highly contentious to attempt to identify any fungus from macroscopic details alone. I'd highly recommend Stamet's "Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World" The index provides details as to every species positively identified in Australia to date.
[ 24 May 2002: Message edited by: killarava2day ]

Thanks again People,
Good work, BT, that was one of the photos I have been comparing my varies to. I think I have two different types of magic mushrooms!!!
The lighter variety bruise destinctly blue and have black spore prints. The others I have found match to azurescens exactly by visual comparison.
I have been told that smokeing real magic mushrooms is posible for a slight affect. I am considering this may be a safer way to see if they are indeed what I think thay are as some toxins may be destroyed by the proccess if there are any.

Smoking shrooms DOES NOT work. Heat destroys psilocybin and leaves it inactive. Have heard rumours that smoking the outer skin from caps works, but my experiments have never worked, maybe it varies from strain to strain. Some strains do contain DMT but you would have to smoke to much in to small a time.

smoking will give u mild effects at best as killarava2day says heat breaks down the active chems. The other possiblity is u might feel mild affects from smoking any type of mushroom, just like smoking any plant material (this is just specualtion.
Dont give up mate it sounds like you are getting closer to a postive ID, gallerinas the main little brown mushroom that looks similar to a psylocibe has a rusty brown spore print. maybe go to www.shroomery.org and ask your question, there are lots of experienced ozzie shroom hunters there.
killarava2day Psilocybin and psilocin the actives in shrooms are 4-HO-DMT.
Or did you mean that pure DMT exists in some shrooms, do you know which ones?

i would like to start by apologising to acidis, my advoce was hasty. i meant only that you shouldn't worry about it TOO much, this IS supposed to be a fun experience, and if your worrying flat out while tripping then its not gonna be a good trip. but quite rightly my advice was shot down, cos in this situation you must be very cautious, its much less fun if your trip turns into one down to the local hospital. i apologise deeply as i realise that to have taken my advice would have been silly and im glad that there are some smarter people out there who told you so.
now for my question: what is the best way to grow your own mushrooms in an artificial medium if instead of having a spore syringe you have the actual mushrooms themselves? also, ive got the same species as acidis APPEARS to have, are these an easy species to cultivate? i've looked at erowid & the shroomery but i couldn't find anything.
cheers
halmoney

Originally posted by halmoney:
i would like to start by apologising to acidis, my advoce was hasty. i meant only that you shouldn't worry about it TOO much, this IS supposed to be a fun experience, and if your worrying flat out while tripping then its not gonna be a good trip.
now for my question: what is the best way to grow your own mushrooms in an artificial medium if instead of having a spore syringe you have the actual mushrooms themselves?

I agree, but thats not an excuse to 'stop worrying about it' and just eat any random shroom. In fact its a very good reason why an inexperienced shroomer should never eat something they come across, because even if it was a safe species, you are likely to be too worried about it to have a good time. Self-growing is a much safer and rewarding experience.
As to using the mushroom itself instead of a pre-purchased spore syringe... u can make your own spore syringe from a mushroom cap, provided its relatively freshly picked. Not too sure about the posting rules here, so i wont paste any methods but check out the Shroomery for all things to do with cultivation - www.shroomery.com
TheDweller