• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Madagascar periwinkle - A psychedelic?

They're indole alkaloids but I've heard that they're more toxic than hallucinogenic.

EDIT: Some research shows that they're commonly used as chemo drugs. I wouldn't touch that shit with a ten foot pole. I like my hair.

Last edited:
Vinca alkaloids are a diverse family of different compounds with different properties. The fact that they happen to contain an indole ring means nothing, you need to look at the molecule as a whole. Vincamine:
220px-Vincamine.svg.png

is used as a vasodilator, and it has such low toxicity its classed as a nootropic. Looking at its structure, its clearly not the same thing as vinblastine:
300px-Vinblastine-skeletal.svg.png

which is a mitotic inhibitor used in chemotherapy. Vinblastine doesn't actually occur naturally in the plant though, its just synthesised from two of the naturally occuring vinca alkaloids. In fact, all the chemo drugs of the vinca alkaloid family are produced by linking together two of the naturally occuring compounds found in the madagascar periwinkle, the plant itself doesn't produce them. It was the chemo drugs I was reading about, they should really change the name because at first I thought they were actually isolated from the plants too. The term vinca alkaloid should be reserved for compounds that occur naturally in periwinkles (plants of the vinca genus).

Last edited:
Never ingest this plant for purposes of hallucinating or any reason whatsoever. It is highly toxic, and it actually is used to make chemotherapy treatments, I have read. It can make you hallucinate, for the same reason that high dose chemotherapy causes hallucinations and delirium. It is a poison, and the body is under such extreme distress that hallucinations sometimes happen. I did read one "trip report" if you can call it that, and it sounded like scary stuff. It basically sounded more like the guy almost died rather than a hallucinogenic experience in the traditional sense. He said he felt as though his "soul was going to leave his body forever" if he didn't hang on........ and that's probably exactly what almost happened given what I know about this stuff. The stuff sounds pretty fucking dangerous, deadly even.

Never ingest this plant for purposes of hallucinating or any reason whatsoever. It is highly toxic, and it actually is used to make chemotherapy treatments, I have read. It can make you hallucinate, for the same reason that high dose chemotherapy causes hallucinations and delirium. It is a poison, and the body is under such extreme distress that hallucinations sometimes happen. I did read one "trip report" if you can call it that, and it sounded like scary stuff. It basically sounded more like the guy almost died rather than a hallucinogenic experience in the traditional sense. He said he felt as though his "soul was going to leave his body forever" if he didn't hang on........ and that's probably exactly what almost happened given what I know about this stuff. The stuff sounds pretty fucking dangerous, deadly even.

Where did you read the trip report??

I want to read it.

I've been fascinated by this stuff for a while cause I heard it was a hallucinogen but EXTREMELY poisonous.

Kinda sounds almost like Belladonna 10.0 lol...in that it's one of those things that will make you trip balls and be REALLY REALLY REALLY poisonous for you...probably moreso it sounds even than Belladonna or any of the Datura species.

Lets hear a trip report from some dude who mixed Madagascar Periwinkle, Belladonna, Jimson Weed and PCP lol.

Sounds like fun times.

Sounds like fun times.

It sounds like some pretty scary stuff. It can cause acute liver and/or kidney failure, kind of like acetaminophen can do. The stuff isn't really like belladonna or datura, it's more like an actual poison where the plant itself could cause your liver and kidneys to go completely defunct and you die of acute organ failure. That's seriously not a risk you'd want to take. Even if the plant didn't kill you, ingesting it could result in you needing dialysis or other medical treatments for the rest of your life. Yeah, the anticholergenic stuff like belladonna and datura are dangerous in the sense that the delirium can be so intense that you could do something like wandering out in front of a bus, trying to fly, etc., etc. and die that way. However, the plants themselves rarely kill anybody or damage any organs. I've entertained the idea of trying belladonna or datura with a good sitter that was experienced with psychedelics. However, hell would freeze over before I'd even entertain the idea of trying vinca after I read about it. It honestly sounds about on par in terms of danger and low quality experience as huffing paint or sniffing glue. Although, it's worse, because even with paint huffing any disastrous outcomes would happen instantly. With this stuff, liver or kidney failure could set in long after taking it making the hours and days after messing with it downright nerve wracking, even if it didn't kill you. Everything I have read about this stuff just screams poison. It talks about it on WebMD and other medical sites as an extremely toxic substance to the liver and kidneys.

The trip report I was talking about also sounded like a very bad trip, which is very unsurprising given what I have heard about the stuff. I wouldn't even call it a trip so much as that his spirit was starting to leave his body, because he was literally that close to actually dying of the poison in this plant. It wasn't a trip in my opinion, so much as a near death experience caused by nearly accidentally killing himself. This horrific experience also occurred more than 30 hours after he took it, so it wasn't anything at all like any drug....... much more similar to the effects of poisoning, which was what it was. Thankfully, the poor guy didn't die from it, but it sounded to me like he easily could have.

Last edited: