• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

M. Night Shyamalan Movies

ArcsAngles

Ex-Bluelighter
Please discuss all things M. Night here.

Which of his movies is your favorite:

The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Village
The Happening
Lady in the Water
The Last Airbender

I like all his films alot, except The Happening, which was crap, except for the concept, which was actually really creative.

I would say that it's a a tie between Unbreakable and The Village for me.

None.

Shamalamadingdong sucks a big fat one, in my professional opinion.

Actually, someone on IMDB said it best.

They don't hate HIM. They hate the way his lackluster work is always presented as the next "big movie", and he fails to deliver time and time again. Shyamalan's movies are on-rails. From project to project, we know to expect a slow pace, lots of emotionalism, experimental camera angles, possibly a cameo of Shyamalan himself, and a twist ending – the end.

There is nothing groundbreaking about any of his work, but his diehard fan base would have you believing he is the Messiah of the silver screen, when he's anything but.

Last edited:
I don't think he is "the Messiah" at all. he's not my favorite director.

I love his "emotionalism"

the only one i really enjoyed was the sixth sense. i liked the idea in the village but, while i did not twig to the actual twist, i knew a twist was coming...

alasdair

i enjoyed the sixth sense once or twice. i apprehensively enjoyed unbreakable as it spoke to my love of comics. i stopped watching after signs, which was just shit. i've seen others (village and happening, both completely ridiculous and forgettable), but i haven't spent a cent on any of it since signs.

he's an overrated hack so full of himself that he is doing some kind of trilogy named after himself. i'm glad people are catching on to his lack of writing skill. i would have given him a chance to direct a thing that is not his own creation, like airbender, but apparantly that turned out shit too.

ROAST JOKE (to a fellow comedian - ok - me):

"LL, each of your jokes ends worse than an M. Night Shyamalan movie."

- Tom McCaffrey (You haven't heard of him yet, I but PROMISE you, you will soon).

Comic GENIUS!

I generally enjoy his demeanor. I like learning the basic plot line of his movies rather than the entire film.
Village is my favorite. Perfect example of a great concept shown to the world sort of sub-par.

Sixth Sense was decent for what it was, I predicted it, but I think it's the most accessible of all his films.

Signs was shitty, I expected much more out of it.

the Good

the Sixth Sense was a great movie, although I must say that Unbreakable was my favorite. I am a sucker for comic book movies, and although the movie was never a comic, it essentially paid homage to the funny books

the Bad

Signs and the Village had potential to be interesting, well-conceived movies, but their conclusions were boring or not interesting

the Ugly

the Lady in the Water. I wasted my money on this atrocity in the theaters. not even Paul Giamatti could save this bastardization. I'm sure I could lump the Happening in on this one, but I won't because I haven't seen it

I really don't understand how this guy keeps getting films made. I'd have to say none of his movies are "my favorite" and I would have to be forced, at gunpoint, to watch any of them.

Related viewing. And here. Also.

I love, love love Signs. One of my favorites. Sixth Sense is also good.
Unbreakable is probably my favorite overall but Signs comes close.

I loved Signs, and greatly enjoyed Unbreakable. Haven't seen Sixth Sense, but The Village was such a huge turn-off that I've basically ignored every film he's made since. If I'd paid full-price to see that in the theaters I'd have been tempted to riot...

^^^How have you never seen The Sixth Sense, yet managed to see some of his other "films"? That's like saying you ate a chocolate-covered turd, but you wiped all of the chocolate off first.

They all suck, even the Sixth Sense with the lamest line of all time I see Dead people. I thought the Village was a neat concept, but directed horribly. But he seems to have lots of fans, so he must be doing something right.

^^^How have you never seen The Sixth Sense, yet managed to see some of his other "films"? That's like saying you ate a chocolate-covered turd, but you wiped all of the chocolate off first.

Or like saying I LOVE Robert Plant but never really listened to Led Zeppelin

Seriously Belisarius check out Sixth Sense you wont be disapointed :)

Why I hate MKS, a treatise:

When he writes his movies, he creates all this buildup, then literally thinks of the first, most obvious twist possible and makes that the ending. All of his 'twists' are stuff any good writer would instantly think of and make sure wasn't a part of their script. I literally called out the endings to Signs and The Village to my friends halfway through them.