• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Lyrica question(s). Possible cross-tolerance between Gabapentin? Not much effects.

Brian242

Bluelighter
Hey there, BL. Very long time no post, been through the ringer the past few years and have gotten completely clean from opioids/benzos (aside from kratom for the pain now) and have been working through some things in life. It's nice to see some familiar names still here, same with some of the mods too. Glad you folks are alright and still here!

Alright, so my question. I have gotten prescribed Lyrica 100mg since I've exhausted all of the options for my extensive nerve damage from scoliosis correction surgery with two 2½ foot titanium Harrington rods and 13 bolts fused into my spine. No more opiates after rehab. I was originally prescribed the max daily dose of Gabapentin, 3,600mg/day. I've made various posts about Gabapentin way in the past, and have taken it for years - both therapeutically, and recreationally. Nowadays I get almost zero effect from it.

So I got this Lyrica yesterday. Took initial test dose of 100mg to gauge its effect on my body, pain, and mind. All was good and there were no allergic reactions or adverse effects. Today, I did a larger dose; 400mg. Hmmm, still not much happening. I'm currently at 600mg and all I really have is a slight deep headache, and that's basically it.

Is there a cross-tolerance between Gabapentin and Lyrica causing me not to "feel" Lyrica? I've heard relatively good things about Lyrica, but I'm not getting them. I've heard people saying that 300mg had them "euphoric and uncoordinated" "gabapentin ×100" and whatnot. I actually have one to my father because he has similar nerve issues and was telling me about it so I gave him ONE pill about an hour and a half ago, and he said that it definitely has an effect and is helping him.

Why not me? Are my calcium channels different now, since I've been taking calcium channel blockers such as gabapentin for so long? I hope I haven't basically broken my brain or so something.

Also, please don't recommend me to "get better drugs instead of Lyrica lol". I don't have any desire for opiates/benzos, nor do I have access since I moved so I could get away from them and lose my connects. Couldn't get em even if I wanted to. I don't get many of these Lyrica pills, but I have enough for 3 maybe 4 recreational doses and all the rest are needed therapeutically. But maybe not at all, if I am immune to the effects!

Thank you all who read the whole thing (sorry it's a novel) and to everybody who can give me some insight on this subject. I'm genuinely curious as to what is going on. Sure hope my brain chemistry hasn't changed, causing this to happen.

TL;DR - Not much effects from Lyrica, was on highest dose of gabapentin when I made the switch, is there a cross-tolerance between the two? Why am I not getting much positive effects, even at 600mg on only my second time taking it? Is there anything I can do?

They are very similar calcium channel blockers. I (unfortunately, in my view) haven't had access to large quantities of both, but I'd definitely assume there's a cross tolerance.

I personally find a cross tolerance between lyrica, gapapentin, benzodiazepines and alcohol. ( I've never taken GHB or GBL or phenibut, but I imagine a cross tolerance would exist there as well)

They are most definitely cross-tolerant. I know this both from research and from personal experience. I'm sure that the cross-tolerance isn't totally complete, but in my experience, the drugs are practically interchangeable, with Pregabalin (Lyrica) simply being a more potent and fast-acting form of Gabapentin (Neurontin).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17126531
Pregabalin is structurally related to the antiepileptic drug gabapentin and the site of action of both drugs is similar, the alpha2-delta (alpha2-delta) protein, an auxiliary subunit of voltage-gated calcium channels.
Both act on alpha2-delta, while gabapentin seems to also act on glutamate decarboxylase and the mechanism of action isn't fully understood, but yes, you'll most likely experience cross-tolerance