• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Lump on arm still over a week

Informant

Bluelighter
This is my second post I am kinda new on here and it seems no one answered my first post some of you have to know what's going on and what to do. I was shooting up coke and I could of swore I was in after the shot I noticed I must of missed a little bit of it. In the beginning it was red, tender and showed signs of an infection so I jumped on antibiotics now I have a lump on my arm still and it's not infected anymore but it seems to not be getting any better it's not painful and is not obvious unless you feel it. I've been reading that you can lance it but I am worried I don't want to make it any worse but I do want to get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions or had anything similiar happen to them? I would really appreciate any help and input. Thank you!!

Sounds like you missed your shot. How long has it been?
Oh, I see it's been a week... Maybe some nasty cut in the coke caused this.
It should start getting back to normal soon. If it gets worse, I suggest seeing someone.
Hopefully someone else can shed more light on this

The only advice we can give is go to a doctor. We can't feel it or do imaging so we can't diagnose. Sorry

It's weird cause it's not getting worse it is just basically staying the same. If I really need to and if this was getting any worse or painful I would of already went to one it's just kind of embarrassing you know what I mean. I am really hoping it will go away on its own by either going down or just coming to a head . I've been around awhile and haven't seen something like this going on for so long also no infection that I can see. Someone has to know something about this. Thank you to everyone that are replying I am new on here.

I'm not saying it will turn out this way, but I've had shots I missed a little of and ended up with a little nasty looking lump that took maybe a month or two to fully clear up. I still have a little scar there. But it never turned into an abscess. It was super weird, as I'd never experienced anything like that before (I've experienced real abscesses and missed short that didn't turn into abscesses before, but never any hard little lump like that). It was from shooting methamp though, not cocaine.

Anyways I'm just saying, it may take time for this to heal and it might not be anything serious. It would definitely be smart to get someone who is a medial professional to look at it, but it very well might just be nothing to worry about.

Thanks I appreciate it!! what I have sounds very similiar to what you had. If I start not feeling well or it gets any worse I will definitely see a doctor. If you see a doctor for something like this will it basically say drug addict in your medical records or is there anyway to see a doctor and it not totally screw your medical records up?

It may fuck up your medical records, but if you need to see a doctor you need to see a doctor.

A better options would be to find your local needle exchange or harm reduction organization (you can search the web, most harm reduction orgs are listed on the harm reduction coalition website and others can be found via google) and go in to see them about it.

Just go in or make an appointment with them (an appointment shouldn't really be necessary, though you may have to wait or come back another time without) because you want their opinion about a missed shot, and they'll give you some generally good advice about how to proceed.

They're also good for learning which clinics and hospitals treat drug users humanely, so that if you need to see a doctor they can point you in the direction of someone who won't treat you like a criminal and fuck up your medical records.

I wish they did it privately I don't even know where the needle exchange is by me. I'm on pain meds and I can really screw myself if I have to go to the doctors hopefully it's going to go away on it's own there's no pain so there's a good chance my body can fight it off. If it was red and painful I would go to a doctor right away but it's basically a lump my plan is to wait till my arms heal up and if it doesn't go away then I will go to a doctor and play stupid most likely it's going to have to be an urgent care cause it will need to be lanced. Hopefully it's going to go away on it's own like yours you had a lump for over a month so I have some hope. I really appreciate your help. Thank you!!!!

I’ve never had a bump on my arm that long after shooting h but definitely have from shooting coke.

I’ve had just what you describe lasting up to maybe 3 weeks. And then it kind of goes away without you noticing.

I never had an abscess (and my shooting habits aren’t great) but definitely keep an eye on it.

Needle exchanges and other places that work with a lot of drug users or homeless will often have wound care. Maybe you could check that out before going to a doctor if it comes to that?

Unless they have a physician on-site, needle-exchange centers will just refer you to your physician.
I've never shot anything (God forbid !) but I've had shitloads of abscesses that were caused by cysts, and the way you describe it your affection might very well be an epidermal cyst (caused by any rupture of the skin usually, on persons susceptible). I'd refrain from shooting anything until needle marks disappear, then go to my physician or any surgeon, they can usually remove it (cut it out) in a matter of 30mins if it's not larger than an inch across. You can also apply any antibiotic cream on it, best-case scenario is that it'll reduce it in size, making the operation quicker.
But whatever you do, consult a physican ! This is no laughing matter as it can degenerate into an abscess if you prod it too hard, and an untreated abscess can kill you !

Wow thank you for all your replies I also missed a little in my hands in my palm and it still hurts too. I think the coke had a really bad cut. My plan is to stop all shooting up of anything go on oral antibiotics if nothing changes I will go into an urgent care center and act like I don't know what the hell it is. One good thing is I was just in the hospital a month ago and my big lump is right were they put their IV in me so there's a few stories I can go with. I actually think it may of been this new dope I was getting not the coke cause right when I started shooting that this is when all of this happened. The dope gave me a strong pins and needles feeling all over and the dealer snorts it. I have noticed a lot of dealers that snort their dope cut the dope they sell with something usually horrible for your veins at least in my experience. I will keep you all updated and definitely post the outcome. Thank you all I really appreciate all the replies!!!

Yeah, you never can know what's in the things you buy off of the black market, and injecting stuff just multiplies the risks hundred-fold (basically you bypass all of your organism's built-in barriers. There's a reason injecting is called "mainlining").
During one of the times when I was in custody I've heard a cop tell me of heroin (or coke, don't remember, was a long time ago) they seized that was cut with lead and aluminum salts (which cause saturnism and alzheimer's, respectively). During my studies I was also a trainee in the customs laboratory that analyses all of the samples seized in nor'eastern France, you wouldn't believe the shit I've seen pass in there during my 6-week internship (I've scored a vial of pure heroin there though, that shit was fucking intense ! Best I ever had ^^)...
A good rule of thumb to follow is : if you don't see your dealer consume the same shit that you're attempting to score, don't buy it ! (or at least give it a good cold-water wash before taking it)
And of course, never buy from the darkweb, especially from chinese vendors (not to be racist, but most of them are scammers in my experience, if they don't rip you off they send you random shit).

Yeah this dealer snorts it but I think he's cutting it with something that makes it horrible to inject. That intense pins and needles feeling has something to do with his cut. I live in FL and he picks the dope up in over town and steps on it with who knows what I heard niacin causes the pins and needles feeling but now it's like I am pissed at myself for getting back in shooting up cause I take pain meds and the only reason to bang anything is simply for fun and the rush. Nowadays heroin isn't like it used to be in most areas unless you go to big open drug markets known for good dope still then you don't know. My palm is starting to hurt where I missed so I got penicillin and just started taking that come to think about this all these problems with the lump and all started when I started using this guys heroin.

UPDATE: The big lump on 1 of my arms is going down I shot up in the palms of my hands so basically that's my main problem right now. I'm on the penecillin which is helping with the redness and pain in my palms. It's getting better but I may need a stronger antibiotic for my hands the other lump I have is very small and basically a cist. So far this is it and I will keep you all updated right now my only worry is my hands cause it still hurts sometimes and is red even while on the antibiotics. I figured out what to do I was in the hospital for 3 days a little over a month ago and 1 of the lumps is right where the IV was. I am thinking that I may have cellulitis on my hands if I don't see a big improvement or I still have pain and redness in my hands I will just go to a urgent care and play dumb. After everything is healed I will give you an update. I'm so done with shooting up I did it for years when I was younger and never had such problems like this it's not worth it especially if you are on pain management and getting all the pillls you need.

Last edited:
Exactly I iv only cause I can't get enough. Right now I use a Norco 5 in the morning, 20 mg done I want down to 10 mg or replaced completely possibly with seeds 100> grams, and either a Norco at night or 200? is my dose now for the seeds, which I hope will drop once the damn methadone dose is reduced.

Tac I have been on methadone for years but from a doctor for pain management not a clinic it's a great drug at least in my opinion here in FL a lot of PM doctors prescribe it for nerve pain. Methadone is very strong and stupid people give it a bad name but trust me I would love to get off of it. There really isn't that many options when it comes to pain meds which really sucks.

Unless they have a physician on-site, needle-exchange centers will just refer you to your physician.
I've never shot anything (God forbid !) but I've had shitloads of abscesses that were caused by cysts, and the way you describe it your affection might very well be an epidermal cyst (caused by any rupture of the skin usually, on persons susceptible). I'd refrain from shooting anything until needle marks disappear, then go to my physician or any surgeon, they can usually remove it (cut it out) in a matter of 30mins if it's not larger than an inch across. You can also apply any antibiotic cream on it, best-case scenario is that it'll reduce it in size, making the operation quicker.
But whatever you do, consult a physican ! This is no laughing matter as it can degenerate into an abscess if you prod it too hard, and an untreated abscess can kill you !

Good advice.

The value of getting a referral from a needle exchange is that they tend to refer folks to an MD/hospital/clinic that won’t give you a hard time for being an injection drug user.

Then again, if just going to an ER is necessary you can always just refrain from mentioning it was from injection drug use and make up some other story.

I never said methadone isn't good for pain. When it's dosed properly every 6/12 hours then it's good. When it is only dosed once a day only at certain early hours of the day that one has to get up and go out to get even though they don't sleep well because they can't dose at night, but rather the morning so every day they sleep in no matter what they try yet even if they don't being able to sleep past 2-3 am is lucky then it is not good for pain.... I'd go into details, but on however much 4-aco-dmt iv and however much ug if "exotic LSD" is not the right time to touch on too touchy a subject.

Ok I went to an urgent care the lumps seem to be going away and my main focus was my hands cause there seems to be a serious infection going on. I saw the doctor and she said it may be a form of staph and gave me a script of Bactrim she said I should go to a dermatologist for the lumps I was recently in the hospital and one of the lumps is right where the IV was. She was really cool and it all worked out well hopefully the bactrim works and this infection in my hands isn't that bad. Thank you all I appreciate your help and input!!!