• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD + Xanax... will it cut off the trip or just make it a mellow one?

mowiehowie

Greenlighter
Hello everyone

What you guys think about mixing XANAX (alprazolam) and LSD?

--- you can read here if you want to ---
A friend of mine have already tried LSD many times before, always at raves, or at another pleasant situations with mates, and eveything was always amazing. No bad trips. Just intense good feelings. What happens is that now he moved out to another country and he quite alone there, and have been on a bad mood. So this weekend, even though he went to a really good rave (sadly by himself), that he expected to see so much he didnt take any acid, afraid of having a bad trip. (He would have to take the acid before getting in the place, because of the sniffer-dogs. He actually don't know if they can or not sniff LSD, but.. why taking any risk? So he decided to not take the acid before, to avoid a bad trip, and not getting in with the acid to avoid gettin caught. And now he regrets. :()

---- please read here to answer the question straight away ----
So he is thinking of mixing xanax and LSD, like taking 1mg of a slow-absorption xanax (that takes longer to make effect but the effect lasts more) and have some LSD... so he will have a mellow trip.

Or the Xanax will just cut the trip off? Anyone has already tried this mix?

How much acid did your friend take? And does he have any tolerance to xanax?

I think that one mg would mellow it out and decrease it in length.... sounds like your friend is crossing borders while tripping?? Is this right? That could lead to interesting situations. If he can handle the trip and is in a good head, he could ride it out. OR if he feels anxious and needs to abort the trip I would certianly suggest that he takes the xanax asap.

Welcome to Bluelight BTW <3

hi karma1485. thanks!

the purpose of mixing xanax and lsd, is just to avoid any anxiety crisis during the trip, so he will enjoy just the good feelings. he is used to take xanax, but it is still has a good effect on him.

he has already take several acids, but always when his head was good. at that time i described above he avoided taking acid because he had been in such a bad mood during the week.

Last edited:
no problem. Where are you from?? Your English is very good :D

If I were in a bad mood, I would choose not to trip. But if your friend is tripping and not in a good head, it couldn't hurt to take the xanax.

Love and Lite <3

Xanax will not completely kill the trip, but it will definitely make it less psychedelic and less intense, not just mellow. Depending on how much you take, it could bring it way down or just a little down. Generally I think that if a person needs a xanax (or other benzo) to trip comfortably, they shouldn't trip until they deal with whatever it is that's making it so uncomfortable. If you're tripping and all of a sudden you start panicking because something unexpected happens, or someone starts to have a dangerously out of control experience, then that's one thing. But planning the whole time to take a benzo just seems kind of against the whole point.

On the other hand, some people whgo are prescribed regular benzo usage will take their daily dose and still trip. So it's a matter of opinion. But that's mine on the matter.

In my experience, a small dose will mellow it, and a larger dose will generally kill it (unless its a heavy trip).

The best use for benzos is generally at the tail end of the trip when the experience has mostly been integrated and all thats left is the 'cracked-out' feeling caused by not being able to sleep.

I used to take xanax for situational anxiety and as a sleep aid and originally .25mg- 0.5mg would knock me right out, but now xanax seems to just mellow me out, without making me sleep (I have no tolerance). When I eventually do sleep though, its generally a very deep sleep (although not generally refreshing).

Its very dependent on the dose of both. I've taken xanax during a very strong lsd trip to no noticable effect, and I've taken various benzos at the end of trips and completely knocked the trip out. 1mg might be a bit much. I'd recommend taking 0.5mg, and take another .5mg in case he needs it later. That way he's less likely to completely negate the effects.

the last time i did acid i took several xanax bars and it really mellowed me out which was awesome because usually acid will put me in a really fucked up state of mind.. especially considering that on this trip i had taken a quarter sheet of acid.. i can personally say that it will not kill the trip or shorten it because i tripped out from saturday afternoon until tuesday night // wed morning.. or maybe it was wed // thurs.. shit was pretty hazey.. also before anyone asks i have no written a trip report on this yet but i am planning on doing so sometime soon..

I carry clonazapam around with me incase of a bad trip, but its there only if things go wrong, not preemptive.

A little "informational Xanax": dogs aren't trained or certified to detect LSD, so that should mellow your friend out from the start. :)

do it! it mellows the shit out so nice... i took 2mg about 6 hours before dosing on mdma and lsd and had the most mellow trip ever. It was sick, but i also have a decent tolerance to xanax.

The technical explanation: Benzo's work on GABA receptor cells in the brain, whereas LSD works on the 5-HT (mostly 5-HT2A) receptors.

So it won't really completely "abort" a trip. It can definitely put you to bed if you take enough and want to end a trip, though.

In my experience, taking benzos before, or at the same time as LSD kind of makes a trip a bit too mellow. I like the mindfuck, and I like the feeling of rocketing to another dimension. Xanax, etc., kind of takes away from the excitement and novelty of acid for me.

If a bad trip is in progress, I usually try to ride it out, and recommend the same to other experienced trippers. If it does not change by the 20 minute mark of psychedelic hell, or you certainly can't handle it, then xanax is probably a good idea.

Xanax is one of the best benzos for this purpose, as it is short-acting, and has a very quick onset.

Pre-emptively, if your friend is in a bad or negative mindset, I would not recommend dosing, regardless of experience. Bad trips are bad trips.

my experiences:
LSD twice: One time with xanax (4mg) plus 2 hits LSD, second time: 80mg valium + 3 hits LSD. They both totally killed the acid experience. I had an emotional/phsyical experience, but VERY weak visuals and overall a very disappointing experience. I highly recommed not combing them unless you're having a bad trip and wanna come down. I didnt know they would cancel each other out so much..very disappointing. I figured it would just take the edge off/anxiety, etc but it made the LSD visuals and effects nearly obsolete. My friend took 1.5 hits plus xanax and felt nothing at all. Better off keeping them separate. I have have had trouble finding Benzo plus psychedelic interaction on the internet, but personal experience really taught me otherwise. Save your money and split them up, or use the benzos at the come down/or if having a negative exprience. Cheers

from my experience, (1mg of xanax, once 2 hours before dosing and once 2 hours after) and both times i definantly tripped, however it did bring it down a bit but i was definantly still able to appreciate the psychedelicness of LSD.. it mostly just stops it 'hitting' u in the face

I always carry Xanax with me in case of a bad trip because it will not cancel it out, but certainly decrease the intensity, as well as make it much easier to sleep afterwards. I wouldn't mix the two if you're looking to enhance the LSD trip though. Take a small dose of MDMA with your Lucy instead :)

Don't know about clonidine but well xanax can mellow it out, just be sure not to take too much. Also understand that mellower trips can also limit how deep you can go and how intensely positive it can be. The action of benzo's is just that it levels everything out so its more relaxing and recreational but less interesting. You win some you lose some.

Generally I don't think taking depressants to avoid certain experiences is a good practice. It's healthy to either choose to deal with whatever goes on inside you as a part of you and your life, either that or just don't take psychedelics. But that's best practice and I won't say I never took a benzo with acid - just, I know I can handle it without it. Benzos for the comedown are fantastic though because they ease the nervous tension and help with the useless leftover background static.

This topic has been covered many times before by the way, but I think its time we make it central in an LSD subthread.

Mowiehowie, welcome to BL by the way :) I'm gonna merge this together with a thread meant for LSD + Benzo's in general so that the entire topic is covered there for now, the past and the future, k?

Depending on the situation sometimes i like to take a little xanax or valium before a trip if im looking to have a more rereational trip than a deep/spiritual/introspective trip.

IME it doesnt kill the effects of the psychedlic unless you take too much of the benzo.
A reasonable dose (cant tell you what it is, that depends on your tolerance) of a benzo before a psychedelic will not kill a trip, only make it more manageable when it otherwise might not be.

My friend has some quesitons. I do not approve of any of my friends illegal or immoral actions, but he is an AWESOME guy...

He took LSD regularly during his years at college. Tried it once 3rd semester, by the fifth semester, he had consumed 100+ hits himself. By his last semester, he took between 0.25 and 3 hits every other day. The most he took was 7. (For reference, his trip-mates who were NOT trip-naive reported very potent effects, per area of paper).

He hasn't had this chemical in a few years now and wants to do it again. He is worried about the dosage he should take, given his lowered tolerance. However, he can handle himself if things get hellish....

Which brings us to the point of the reply...SWIM finds that IF his trip gets a "little out of hand", he takes a very small dose of Alprazolam (0.25 mg) to "reduce the intensity" a little bit. If it's not enough, he titrates up.

He loves LSD, and it is commonly known that benzo type medications override some of the phychiatric effects of the LSD, so he only uses it when he "wants" to calm down.

That being said, doing drugs, let alone mixing them, is dangerous and should be avoided. ;-)