View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD first timer. Questions and suggestions

some dude

Bluelighter
Hello. I am going to get some LSD from a friend soon and thought I would look for any insight here.

I have taken mushrooms before but don't know what kind they were.
My first dose was small at around 0.8g. Enough to have a great time but nothing visual.
Took 3-4 separate times, the most being around a gram where I saw things breathing, moving slowly.

The transition from baseline to tripping is always uncomfortable for me. Once tripping I have lots of fun.

What should I expect from LSD?
I'm think.of starting off small, assuming blotters, like 1/4 of a square.

Will smaller doses of LSD minimize the intensity and duration?

I've read a fair amount over the years but still feel there are gaps in my knowledge.

Will smaller doses of LSD minimize the intensity and duration?
Yes.

If you're apprehensive about it, you can start with a low dose such as the 1/4 tab you suggested. You'll likely have some mild visuals and euphoria. Tripping has a lot to do with "set and setting", which means the situation, timing, environment and people you're tripping with have a lot to do with how the trip goes.

I'm not sure whether it will affect the duration greatly but intensity definitely.

Do bear in mind that tolerance to the psychedelic effects of lsd occurs really fast, so to get something equalling your first dose you have to take 2 as much the day after.

Also I find lsd easier to handle than shrooms, it's more of a euphoric stimulating trip overall.

Do bear in mind that tolerance to the psychedelic effects of lsd occurs really fast, so to get something equalling your first dose you have to take 2 as much the day after.
Whilst this is very true, I doubt as a novice he'll be tripping 2 days in a row...
Although I have been wrong to presume such things in the past...this is BL after all lol

Last edited:
The transition from baseline to tripping is always uncomfortable for me. Once tripping I have lots of fun.

What should I expect from LSD?

In my experience the come up on LSD is the most critical period and the period where things can go negative. It can last anywhere from 60 - 90 minutes (more on big doses) and you may get the sense of overwhelming body load as well as growing confusion and disorientation in your mind. Or you may not. Everyone is different.

This is where some people freak out or get anxious and panicky if it feels like its going to be too much. Then that anxiousness or negativity pervades the rest of the trip.

The trick is to expect this and remind yourself it’s a normal and relatively brief part of the total ride. Sounds you already know that from your shrooms experience.

Make sure your set and setting for the comeup is maximally relaxing and chill. To deal with the body load if you are sensitive to it you might be best off going for a long walk somewhere quiet. To deal with the random emerging thoughts and energy in your mind listening to something meditative/groovy/repetitive can help put you in the right zone.

Anything that feels negative you’ve just got to remember to remind yourself it’s just a temporary part of the warm up. Once you get past that comeup things usually stabilise and you are just happily going with the flow.

The only other advice I have is stay indoors (after your come-up walk) or relatively private until you peak and know just how fucked up you are.

I've posted this on another thread, I'll post here again, back in the mid 90's to late 90's LSD was big where I lived, I friend of mine gave me a tab to try, I was a little leary as I heard people back in the 60's and 70's flipping out going insane because they had bad trips.

But I tried it, I didn't have a bad trip but the following day up to about a month afterwards, I thought I was going crazy, when I'd look at a wall, I thought I'd see the wall moving in wave like patterns, I became extremely paranoid, didn't want to leave the house, I thought I was going to have a relapse, my friend told me not to worry, that it's all in my mind that the LSD was out of my system already, I never again tried LSD.

I didn't see the fun in seeing things that weren't there, that shit ain't for me, I like to feel mellow like on benzos or warm and nice like on opiods, non of that psychedelic shit for me

For your first time taking LSD you want to be educated enough to know the basis for what you are doing, why, when, how etc. Its a medicine and all medicine and therapeutic interventions with said medicine require embarking on a journey to learn what its all about.

Of course you can never know what its all about because LSD at the right dose will blow away what you did previously assume was what its all about. Thats true. However, prior to this huge shift in consciousness you knew enough to prepare accordingly and that will be the foundations you build your experiences upon. Even though you will be high, sober you cared enough to make sure you were in the best possible place you could be and while high you cant comprehend what this means, it is sober you who you will return to and who knew best and that is when it will all make sense.

I would say start with a dose of 100-150ug. This wont put the boat out too far but you will experience a sprinkling of magic LSD offers, all while being able to hold on to everything around you. The first time I took acid it was 180ug so fairly more than the 100-150ug prescribed first-timer dose. I basically turned into a philosopher for the best part of a few hours. It was amazing. Nothing lifechanging (unlike my next experience after this one I am talking about which was 360ug or x2 of these tabs). Put a floor lamp beside me and I turned into a prophet (something to do with the light, I dont know but it was cool as f*ck). It felt deep and like I was on the edge of the most important debate of the century sharing space with the worlds most greatest thinkers. The experience was enough to feel connection with everything. I went outside and fell in love with the stars in the sky. I didnt want to go back inside. Of course the floor lamp was there and so I obliged to come back inside and sit back on my throne and waffle extremely deep musings for some time, of which I did.

My research into everything LSD enabled me to get everything as good as it could be. The set and setting was ideal. This is important. I lived in a quiet house share at the time and had a trusted easy going friendly and positive guy who sat with me who I lived with. There was no interruptions or unpredictable changes in the environment. It was chilled and peaceful.

This wasnt a powerful trip but it wasnt supposed to be. For that you need to plan even more and get as many variables in place as possible, especially your state of mind and intentions/set and setting. Again you can never do too much because a powerful trip will literally dissolve everything you thought was important. At this point what even is important? What do these words mean? What do I mean? That being said, sober you is behind high you. Sober you knows that you have to take care of yourself and that life involves preparing for things and being in the best possible place while getting all bases checked.

Thats what I always remember.
Taking LSD has three parts.
Before, during and after.
The first and last require planning, care and attention. Research, drug testing, planning, journaling (if necessary), learning, asking questions, setting intentions, introspection, integration.
The middle part is unknown, at higher doses anyway. In all cases they all come together.

Its not just something you do. Its a process you want to be consciously involved in as much as possible, even the middle part that you cant really fully anticipate nor really know what will happen.

Learn, learn, learn is what I say. Read guides, read trip reports, read books on psychedelics, absorb as much information as possible. The more you do this, if you so wish to continue with your explorations, the more beneficial and rewarding they will tend to be. Everything needs context and when you are tripping, we all seek some form of path to follow, rope to hold onto.

Phantograms ( light games ) under the form of geometrical shapes or even better, memories all sort of stuff. You could even go ancestral, all depends on how good you control your brain and what you wanna do.

In my trips, a quarter tab, or about 25ug, lasts only about 6-7 hours until I’m back to almost normal.
I say almost, because for me, until I get to sleep and wake the next day, I’m not entirely ever back at complete baseline.
1/4 tabs are awesome, so are full tabs. 100ug gives entrance to the full deal, but you probably won’t know the actual dosage on each blotter, some being less or (sometimes) more than advertised.
Have a good one in any fashion!

Always start low then when you have some hair on your balls try a larger dose.

Also try ismenes wormhole - split the dose in half and take it 20 mins apart - this takes you to a land of treacle and honey where magic wizards wander in their skidmarked yfronts. No it just emphasises the mdma feeling of acid rather than the trippier mental effects.

set and setting just take the full tab you want the full dose on it which will be like moderate probably if its good or underdosed.

LSD takes about 45 minutes for the first signs of visuals to start at normal doses. You will feel body energy before this and it will increase where at the 2 hour mark you will be tripping mad balls and peaks at 3-4 hour mark.

LSD is smooth sailing after the first 3 hours.

Just chill and let the trip flow play music enjoy nature meditate do some art whatever your want.

No matter how much you take, the duration doesn't change significantly. The actual geometry of the LSD molecule creates a unique set of electrochemical attractions and repulsions, that, once it crosses the blood brain barrier, is not removed easily from the body. As such, the duration will be a solid 8 hours with a residual few hours at the tail end of it.

LSD typically brings some degree of anxiogenesis during the come up phase. This means it generates anxiety during the first roughly third of the trip as you're still coming up and the effects gain intensity. This phase can be a bit challenging, but at the same time, it's fun and I like to think of the "anxiety" as excitement instead.

The second third of the trip is the peak. I like to have a Xanax or similar anxiolytic in my pocket just in case I want to stop tripping quickly. That's a trick a lot of acid users don't know about. Benzodiazepines will usually take someone out of a trip swiftly while having a calming effect on that person. Just be responsible with benzos, please. Anyway the peak is what it's all about. It can be so incredibly, powerfully immersive, emotional, and mind-blowing that few compounds compare, particularly when one considers the potency – a standard hit is 0.01mg – and it's remarkable safety profile despite said potency. This is unlike compounds of similar potency, like DOB and the rest of the DOx psychedelic amphetamines, or fentanyl and its potent analogs and homologs. The difference between the standard dose and the LD₅₀ (lethal dose in mg per kg body weight at which half of the lab rats died during the experiment) is unusually accommodating, thankfully, or it would've never been so popular.

Finally my proverbial $0.02 on the dose is this: take at least one whole tab the first time. Two would be the limit I would suggest for someone without experience. Taking less than a single tab is a waste of time and not at all a good indicator of what dropping acid is typically like. Of course this only applies if you feel comfortable doing it, which is what matters most. I'm just trying to tell you that while you will probably still be nervous, rest easy knowing that LSD is overall FAR safer than the common cultural perception of it would let on. Have a great trip; see you on the other side, as it were.

most people were totally safe with eating tabs in the 60s when on average the lsd was 3-4 times the dose people now consume. LSD is super safe if you do not mix it and have the perfect set and setting. and take the blotter. Chemists do not large blotters in crazy amounts anymore due it been to much in the 60's. Now days one tab should be fine if you dont mix it with weed. but everybody reacts differently. I know alot of people who cant handle even just 100 ug.

most people were totally safe with eating tabs in the 60s when on average the lsd was 3-4 times the dose people now consume.
Not entirely true. While LSD has an incredible safety profile in terms of it's lethal dose, at high enough doses prior to this, the user can start to 100% hallucinate and become delirious. This can be an issue as that person might inadvertently put themselves in harms way like the documented case of the CIA agent who leapt to his death from an office window after being surreptitiously dosed without his prior knowledge or consent. But no, you're extremely unlikely to overdose; there is that.

Still, I'm not so sure I believe this claim regarding 1960s acid. Can you show me some proof or some literature to back that claim up, because it sounds like a myth.
LSD is super safe if you do not mix it and have the perfect set and setting.
Those are some hefry caveats – the perfect set & setting? Every time perfect? Seems unreasonable if you ask me.

And anyway, LSD mixes wonderfully with MDMA, cannabis, and/or ketamine.
and take the blotter.
Or gel tab, microdot, drops of liquid acid, etc. Although blotter is still my favorite medium.
Chemists do not large blotters in crazy amounts anymore
Chemists make GIANT batches of it at once, and it's sold in hella bulk, which makes sense considering 1 kilo of pure LSD crystals will lay 10 million doses at 100µg or 5 million doses at 200µg each, which is more than enough per hit. Producers I know typically lay blotter anywhere between 100µg up to 350µg blotters, but mostly stick to 100µg tabs. It's hard for dealers to recoup costs with 200 µg and especially 300 µg tabs. If this were done in the past, it wasn't the norm and it probably owed more to experimenting with dosing than anything else. Too much of any drug is unpleasant, even without lethality. Tripping stupid hard when you weren't ready for all of that can be a harrowing, overwhelming and shitty experience. I'm guessing you've never seen anyone flip out on acid before, but I have and it is NOT a good look. Very unsettling when you're there tripping too while they're losing touch with reality and wigging out.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please be careful about encouraging huge doses to inexperienced users.
due it been to much in the 60's. Now days one tab should be fine if you dont mix it with weed.
Again, not true. If you're a regular, everyday weed smoker, then cannabis is going to enhance your high in all the best ways. Weed and acid go together like peanut butter and jelly if you smoke. If you only smoke once in a while and have very little tolerance or are prone to panic attacks after smoking weed, you'll probably want to avoid smoking weed until the comedown phase if at all.
but everybody reacts differently. I know alot of people who cant handle even just 100 ug.
Experience with lower doses makes a big difference, and also the user's bodyweight should be considered when dosing…

I recommend that everyone go into LSD "balls deep" fuck the 1/4 of a tab. Make sure your set and setting are on point, it'll be a blast.
not sure your age, but i've noticed people of my generation (gen z) tend to do really well with and often prefer low doses such as 1/4 tab.

the days of 300 ug microdots in the 1960s are over and if someone wants to be cautious with a new drug i think it should be encouraged. i know many people who have had life changing experiences on low doses. personally, my most powerful trip was on a tab that was probably 60ish ug.

if i remember correctly sandoz sold 25 ug doses of LSD back in the day.

most people were totally safe with eating tabs in the 60s when on average the lsd was 3-4 times the dose people now consume.
Not entirely true. While LSD has an incredible safety profile in terms of it's lethal dose, at high enough doses prior to this, the user can start to 100% hallucinate and become delirious. This can be an issue as that person might inadvertently put themselves in harms way like the documented case of the CIA agent who leapt to his death from an office window after being surreptitiously dosed without his prior knowledge or consent. But no, you're extremely unlikely to overdose; there is that.

Still, I'm not so sure I believe this claim regarding 1960s acid. Can you show me some proof or some literature to back that claim up, because it sounds like a myth.

Those are some hefry caveats – the perfect set & setting? Every time perfect? Seems unreasonable if you ask me.

And anyway, LSD mixes wonderfully with MDMA, cannabis, and/or ketamine.

Or gel tab, microdot, drops of liquid acid, etc. Although blotter is still my favorite medium.

Chemists make GIANT batches of it at once, and it's sold in hella bulk, which makes sense considering 1 kilo of pure LSD crystals will lay 10 million doses at 100µg or 5 million doses at 200µg each, which is more than enough per hit. Producers I know typically lay blotter anywhere between 100µg up to 350µg blotters, but mostly stick to 100µg tabs. It's hard for dealers to recoup costs with 200 µg and especially 300 µg tabs. If this were done in the past, it wasn't the norm and it probably owed more to experimenting with dosing than anything else. Too much of any drug is unpleasant, even without lethality. Tripping stupid hard when you weren't ready for all of that can be a harrowing, overwhelming and shitty experience. I'm guessing you've never seen anyone flip out on acid before, but I have and it is NOT a good look. Very unsettling when you're there tripping too while they're losing touch with reality and wigging out.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please be careful about encouraging huge doses to inexperienced users.

Again, not true. If you're a regular, everyday weed smoker, then cannabis is going to enhance your high in all the best ways. Weed and acid go together like peanut butter and jelly if you smoke. If you only smoke once in a while and have very little tolerance or are prone to panic attacks after smoking weed, you'll probably want to avoid smoking weed until the comedown phase if at all.

Experience with lower doses makes a big difference, and also the user's bodyweight should be considered when dosing…

Excellent input :)
I would say that cannabis is not something you want to just throw out there when it comes to taking acid, especially for new people. It massively potentiates the trip and for many experienced people it blows their mind and makes the trip sometimes more difficult.

I agree with taking the entire tab or dose. It is not going to be that strong and this is not the 1990s with 250-350ug single dose tabs that were common if you knew the right people.

You can always take lower doses later on.

Smoking pot on acid was always fun, and is an excellent combination.

Smoking pot on acid was always fun, and is an excellent combination.
If you can handle it. It amplifies the trip and so you could be overwhelmed. I wouldnt recommend telling people to smoke weed when tripping if its there first few times. The acid should be enough and if youve got some stuff to work with/through, the overwhelming effects from weed could throw you off.