Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD-25 storage observations

sdxyln

Bluelighter
Hi

Once a lifetime supply of LSD-25 has been procured, but the buyer becomes two-minded as to whether consume it all himself, or recuperate some of the expenses by spreading the love, the question of properly storing the molecule will inevitably be the question he will have to wrestle. What does not help matters is that there is no categorical and fool-proof home method available. Reports are conjectural and read all over the place. It is challenging to come down to a singular conclusion.

Last month I took a strip and kept it on the inside-top of an envelope and kept the envelope inside the drawer and under a plastic plate. Today I took it out to observe the oxidation changes on this particular type of paper and noticed that almost all the tabs have been unaffected by it except for the fourth from top, around whose middle there is a very distinctly visible patch of brown. From some of the people I have consulted, they have suggested that the oxidation is normal and when they tried their blotters out the loss in potency was negligible or entirely absent. There are some reports which state that the paper can turn silver or grey and perhaps in this case the LSD-25 has degraded into iso-LSD. But even they have suggested the same as the others. That there was no loss in potency.

So my question to those who handle large quantities of LSD-25 on blotter-paper is, what are the signs that the LSD-25 has degraded and there are new and possible impurities present? To be honest, I am a bit concerned because I obtained a lifetime supply of a very rare and underground type of acid and I was certain that I would be able to store it without any real loss over the years. I have minimised the air, moisture, and heat exposure using multiple sturdy zip-lock plastic bags and parchment paper, and some of the other tabs stored this way have shown zero degradation.

But in the strip from last month, how is it that only one blotter-paper has been visibly affected by all the more air? It is really an anomaly. For a moment I considered the possibility as if like apples, one affected LSD-25 blotter-paper will protect the rest from getting spoilt. This is a fancy and nothing more, but it really feels like the molecule is very much alive. I get on the edge when handling it with less respect than I should. But in any case, that brown spot should not be much of a concern, because that is a sign of oxidation and not necessarily spoilage. I really resisted the urge to check it for myself.

i have never noticed my tabs degrade and i keep them upwards for year. I have them in plastic bags sometimes vacuum sealed stored in old vitamin jars for a airtight dark container and put that away in a cold closest. My white on white is usually a bit yellow stained from the alcohol dissolved solution. Other tabs are so inked up it would be impossible to tell. LSD honestly is quite stable just don't expose it to light air and heat for extended periods.

I can't say I've ever noticed any of my tabs degrade, I do have some tabs that I've had for 10 years that were just kept in dark/dry environment that I'm curious to try - however I never sampled them to begin with so I wouldn't be able to say if they were weaker or just weak to begin with.

I can take a picture of them tomorrow and see if they looked faded / visibly degraded in any way.

I had blotter acid that was stored for eight months at varying temperatures from room temperature, very hot when it is summer, cold in winter but near a heating vent.The LSD was fine which surprised me at the time as I was told and had read that acid can degrade fast.

I sometimes wish I had stocked up on the 250-350ug windowpane acid I had as a teen. But there were lots of sketchy narcs and dealers who later became narcs.

The molecule (LSD-25) is very unstable.

"Lysergic acid proved to be a rather unstable substance, and its rebonding with basic radicals posed difficulties," Hoffman.

"LSD is an unusually fragile molecule and some comments are in order as to its stability and storage. As a salt, in water, cold, and free from air and light exposure, it is stable indefinitely," Shulgin.

There is little doubt that some of it degrades into iso-LSD not very long after exposed to the elements. Once I got a couple of WoWs made out Russian-sourced Ergot. Those were kept inside a wallet made of hemp, which in turn was then kept inside a closet drawer. Two or so months after, when I checked, oxidation had occurred (brown patch was distinctly visible).

"Yes, indeed this effect is oxidation of the molecule which is equivalent to degradation in the context of LSD. The solution of alcohol or water has available oxygen molecules which the dissolved LSD crystal is exposed to and able to oxidize.

Oxidized acid can get weird, as in the quality going down, the effect is less clean, sometimes it can just get weaker. Storing the acid as free salt/crystal can actually be better for preservation because you can seal it in a container with inert gas with minimal oxygen exposure," SWIM.

A couple or so weeks after that I ate the blots and the trip-intensity was not like imagined. One of the tabs taken a day after making the purchase had hit me quite well. Two of the same tabs should have definitely melted my face, but of course, the set and setting difference was big (outside vs. home).

Ultimately the degradation taking place will depend on the quality of the paper and if protective chemicals were used at the time of laying the crystal drops on the paper. These were laid properly using butoxytriethylene glycol. Yet the oxidation has occurred evidently on a rogue blotter. The colour of the paper on the edges has turned silver and greyish. The positive takeaway is the small probability of degradation:

"An unopened, brown-glass vial of 1951 Sandoz LSD-25 (Delysid) was contributed to a gathering in celebration of Albert Hofmann's 100th birthday. The vial had been in the possession of a single person for the last 30+ years, stored casually, mostly in darkness. When opened, the powder was a very light brown-sugar to salmon color. One chemist described the fluffy, clumpy, sparkly crystalline powder as looking like "crushed needles". It was weighed and dissolved into four-ounce liquid doses containing between 100 and 110 micrograms each (± 10%)," www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_article2.shtml

you will want to break up your blotter into parts your going to use and vaccum seal the rest and store in airtight container in the dark in a cool spot.

I can tell you something without any conjecture.

My buddy bought LSD in 1995, blotters and microdots.
Stored them in a vial in the freezer.
Still just as potent 25 years later as back then.

There is no reason to assume that any of the 1-Acyl-LSD's or things like ETH-LAD or AL-LAD are any different in that regard.

Hi

Once a lifetime supply of LSD-25 has been procured, but the buyer becomes two-minded as to whether consume it all himself, or recuperate some of the expenses by spreading the love, the question of properly storing the molecule will inevitably be the question he will have to wrestle. What does not help matters is that there is no categorical and fool-proof home method available. Reports are conjectural and read all over the place. It is challenging to come down to a singular conclusion.

Last month I took a strip and kept it on the inside-top of an envelope and kept the envelope inside the drawer and under a plastic plate. Today I took it out to observe the oxidation changes on this particular type of paper and noticed that almost all the tabs have been unaffected by it except for the fourth from top, around whose middle there is a very distinctly visible patch of brown. From some of the people I have consulted, they have suggested that the oxidation is normal and when they tried their blotters out the loss in potency was negligible or entirely absent. There are some reports which state that the paper can turn silver or grey and perhaps in this case the LSD-25 has degraded into iso-LSD. But even they have suggested the same as the others. That there was no loss in potency.

So my question to those who handle large quantities of LSD-25 on blotter-paper is, what are the signs that the LSD-25 has degraded and there are new and possible impurities present? To be honest, I am a bit concerned because I obtained a lifetime supply of a very rare and underground type of acid and I was certain that I would be able to store it without any real loss over the years. I have minimised the air, moisture, and heat exposure using multiple sturdy zip-lock plastic bags and parchment paper, and some of the other tabs stored this way have shown zero degradation.

But in the strip from last month, how is it that only one blotter-paper has been visibly affected by all the more air? It is really an anomaly. For a moment I considered the possibility as if like apples, one affected LSD-25 blotter-paper will protect the rest from getting spoilt. This is a fancy and nothing more, but it really feels like the molecule is very much alive. I get on the edge when handling it with less respect than I should. But in any case, that brown spot should not be much of a concern, because that is a sign of oxidation and not necessarily spoilage. I really resisted the urge to check it for myself.
Okay I will add a few very brief thoughts, but have not read the above replies, yet, but def use some dessicant. I would wrap tightly in climfilm, little air as possible.

Then tin foil. Then in sealable little baggies with dessicant pouches, air squeezed out.

I have had tabs in sealable bags in my bedroom draw (only feet away at all times lol), all this year, no dessicant. Zero loss in potency anyway. The bulk is refrigerated inside sealed mason jars in bags like above, loads dessicants in the jars too.

I have stored LSD from as far back as 1967 that is still very active. As long as it is not stored in solution it is surprisingly robust. Clorine in tap water will destroy it almost instantly on contact.
Air, UV, heat, moisture and clorine are some of the main things that can cause to loss of potency.

Okay I will add a few very brief thoughts, but have not read the above replies, yet, but def use some dessicant. I would wrap tightly in climfilm, little air as possible.

Then tin foil. Then in sealable little baggies with dessicant pouches, air squeezed out.

I have had tabs in sealable bags in my bedroom draw (only feet away at all times lol), all this year, no dessicant. Zero loss in potency anyway. The bulk is refrigerated inside sealed mason jars in bags like above, loads dessicants in the jars too.
I stored the blotter acid in pliofilm, put it into an airtight container, and had dessicant in the larger lock box I used to keep drugs in.

This was when I was living with relatives and did not put the acid into the freezer as I did not want them to find my drugs.

I stored the blotter acid in pliofilm, put it into an airtight container, and had dessicant in the larger lock box I used to keep drugs in.

This was when I was living with relatives and did not put the acid into the freezer as I did not want them to find my drugs.
Yes, I assumed fridge etc wasn't an option due to circumstances.

But like I say I have tabs sitting in a draw for a year now, just as potent every time.

I have "resealed" the vaccum seal by adding a piece of cello-tape on top after pressing most of the air out of the pouch. I have covered the tabs on both sides with hard paper and put tape on the edges. I took this and put it into a sturdy zip-lock bag as before, and put the bag into another, and finally, put the two into one big plastic bag with lots of desiccants inside. I wanted to use more parchment paper but there was simply no room left for it. I am storing small quantities of the tabs wrapped in parchment paper and then kept inside an envelope, which goes into a zip-lock bag with as much air pressed out of it.

I keep mine in the freezer, if done right there’s no risk of humidity damaging them.

Fold your paper up into a paper bindle, wrap that in a single piece of paper towel and put into a good zip lock bag. Wrap this zip lock bag in a piece of paper towel and again place into another zip lock bag. Repeat once more, totaling 3 bags.

I’ve kept dose for 5+yrs with zero degradation of any sort. Same with DMT. Many batches of DMT unless ultra pure will degrade in time no matter what at room temperature, storing in the freezer stops that.

-GC

I just wrap it tightly in foil or mylar then stick it in an air tight container. Place and drawer. I've kept tabs for over a year this way with no loss of potency.

Using foil is not really recommended. Try parchment paper.

*Never mind. Too many say foil works well. In any case, it seems like the yellow to brown de-colouration of blotter papers is not because of oxidation, as previously thought, but because of photolysis.

When you leave a compound in light for some time, the electrons get excited and can jump into higher orbitals. In other words, they become more reactive. Sometimes, depending on the molecule, this can cause a similar cleavage. It is UV that does this.

We did a little test; left some 1P-LSD powder on a piece of card open in the office for 2 weeks. It changed from white to canary yellow. On analysis via LCMS there was negligible degradation, still >99% 1P-LSD and no peak for LSD. Weird that it can change so much in appearance but nothing strange happens on analysis.

Some more evidence is that prop-ionic acid can often appear yellow, which would explain the color change in the tabs. As far as potency goes, there should "essentially be no change."

But a chemist adds ...

I don't actually know specifically, but years if stored correctly (i.e. in a dark bottle filled with an inert atmosphere.) I know that there is LSD being sold today that was made in the 60's.
This little vial is going to go bad pretty quickly especially given its exposure to light and oxygen, the yellowing is an indicator of this. My blotter however, is stored in a thermos filled with nitrogen and a desiccant, it will stay good for probably my whole life.

Last edited:
I am afraid after this recent encounter with King Oxygen and Tyrant Light, the safest spot to preserve the sacrament is only six feet under.

I am afraid after this recent encounter with King Oxygen and Tyrant Light, the safest spot to preserve the sacrament is only six feet under.

Until it floods...

I’ve said this elsewhere here but be careful when burying shit, truly think about what may happen to that area over time.

You could come back and a house or road was built over your location depending where you choose.

-GC

I like foil. Never lets me down.
I have some 1P that has turned faintly blue and some ETH-LAD that has turned slightly brown, both still as potent as I can tell.

That’s after 2 years of storage in a shoebox, in mylar bag surrounded by foil.
Back in the 80s 90s we used to get it in cigaret pack foil.
It does degrade, but I’ve never noticed too much of a drop-age in potency.

But for storing a bible, or some crystal, I’d be more serious and bust out nitrogen canisters and desiccates , etc.

Also, welcome to BL (if you’ve not yet been welcomed)! :)
And there’s no swimming in these waters, btw. ;)

Last edited: