• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Low dose Diazepam . Possible withdrawal? Do i need to taper?

pjtrix

Greenlighter
I made a thread while back as i was concerned about taking Diazepam with SSRI ( antidepressants) but this query is more related to withdrawal experiences.

long story short, i was suffering from increased anxiety from switching between multiple antidepressants for an extended period so i acquired some Diazepam and and few Zopiclone by my own means.

Ive only ever taken 2.5mg as an when needed and up to 5mg Diazpeam max over a 3 month period.

I have been trying to cut down on taking the Diazepam now that my SSRI has finally settled in and onyl taken 1 diazepam 2,5mg every 3-4 days or so apart. however i have noticed that about 3-6 days later i am feeling pretty run down.

Ive felt a bit spaced out and getting agitated. Im thinking that this may be to the prolonged usage of the diazepam beyond my doctors recommendations.

My question is would it be recommended for me to start tapering at this low dose? I really dont wnat o suffer any extreme withdrwal symptoms as ive heard its hell.

here is a journal of my dosage:

19/09/16 to 7/11/16 prescribed 20 x 2mg Diazepam to take as and when needed.

zopiclone prescribe 25/10/16
5 x 7.5mg as and when needed ( made last over 3 week period)

-------
6/11/16 2mg Diazepam
7/11/16 2mg Diazpam
8/11/16 half 10mg Diazepam(5mg) before bed
9/11/16 quarter 10mg Diazepam(2.5mg) morning
10/11/16 quarter 10mg Diazepam(2.5mg) before lecture
12.11.16 2.5mg Diazpepam

17.11.16 qaurter for hangover from night before (2.5mg)
18.11.16 quarter blue Diazepam before sleep 5am (2.5mg)

19/11/16 5am 7.5 zopiclone
21/11/16 4am 2.5 diaz
23/11/16 7.5 zopiclone for sleep at 11:59pm
26/11/16 2.5mg diazepam before bed
30/11/16 2.5 diazepam 16:30pm
2/12/16 4am 2.5 diazepam
6/12/16 3am zopiclone for insomnia 7.5mg

Imo it's not enough to cause withdrawal symptomes, maybe you're experiencing rebound symptoms ?
I would just stop, but if the symptoms get worse after a day or two a taper could be beneficial

Imo it's not enough to cause withdrawal symptomes, maybe you're experiencing rebound symptoms ?
I would just stop, but if the symptoms get worse after a day or two a taper could be beneficial

Thanks for your reply

Yes this is what i thought but i have been on the Sertraline for over 6 weeks now so unsure if it rebound effects. All in all i would say the Sertraline is defo helping as i was suffering real bad a few months back.

Its been liek 4 days since my last dose of Diaz but tbf i did take a zopicloen last night as i had an important meeting today couldnt sleep. Maybe im still groggy from the zopiclone i dunno. but ive noticed the last few times around 3-4 days after my last dose i start feelign really shitty till i take another one.

Been taking the Valium on and off since september . is that considered a long time for this med?

So just an update. I noticed i was progressively feeling worse the longer i went without the diaz . day 7 i was feeling very spaced and everything seemed hazy. I was feeling extremely run down, increasingly anxious and irritable. I took 2.5mg and i started feeling normal again and have been for a couple days

I think i might need to do a short taper. Can anyone advise?

Also i had some blood test results from my doctor, showed i have a severe vitamin D deficiency and hes put me on 20,000ui caps once a week. not sure how much this has been a contributing factor to me feeling run down but seems like it been like that for a while. The test couldnt even give an accurate reading it was that low. 8o

Imo take like 2 mg if you're stating to feel really bad, next time 1 mg, then 0.5 mg and stop

I tapered down from 100 mgs of Valium a day and I jumped off of 1 mg with zero withdrawal symptoms. A very comfortable taper, took like 2 years....I did take lyrica 50 mgs twice a day after I jumped off though so that may have covered any withdrawal the 1 mg of diazepam may have caused

Benzo withdrawal is a very long process but is manageable.

I was up ~40 mg diaz/day, and it took ~ 4 mos to get off. And at the end I had serious struggles going from 1 mg/day to zero. No joking- I scored some RC opiates to compensate and gladly and quite intentionally chose opiate withdrawal over going from 1 mg/day to zero.

Diazepam in particular is pretty long acting- 1/2 life is ~20 hrs if I remember right. So a day or two to see symptoms is not unexpected.

I think it's possible the vitamin D deficiency is playing a role. People are usually asymptomatic, but I know someone that discovered she had a severe deficiency and said her depression/lethargy was cured after she reached normal levels.

I guess even if it's not having a direct affect on mood, you're overall health can definitely impact how you feel each day. Otherwise, I think kleiner has given the best advice for how to taper off