• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Low dose clonazolam habit, quitting concerns?

HipsterLink

Bluelighter
Hey so I've been looking for information on short-term benzo habits and cold-turkey/quitting options and it seems most threads are geared more towards long-term habits. I've been using clonazolam near daily for recreation and then sleep at dosages ranging from 0.15-0.5mg (estimating a bit, often bite off doses from a 0.5mg pressed pill) for close to 4 weeks now and im wondering if I should be concerned about experiencing dangerous withdrawals from going cold turkey. I know ill be dealing with insomnia (since thats partly why my use extended as long as it did) and anxiety, but thats nothing new for me and ive been using breathing exercises for anxiety so i feel like I have those bases covered at least. I do still have 3mg or so left so tapering is certainly an option, I just dont know how practical or necessary tapering is with such a relatively low daily habit.

Any insight here would be greatly appreciated, wont be my first rodeo quitting a substance but my experience with benzos is generally limited to use for comedowns and trip killing. Cheers!

First, just to clarify, are we talking about clonazepam? Or the much less common research chemical benzodiazepine clonazolam?

Regardless dangerous withdrawal symptoms would be very unlikely at this dosage and duration of use. I would suggest keeping an eye on the severity of your symptoms in case a taper does become necessary but I think that’s unlikely.

At this level of dependence staying on the benzos longer for a taper may do more harm than good

Specifically clonazolam the research chemical yeah. Okay cool thats good to know, i figured that may be the case but this is new territory for me and i only have internet through my phone atm so doing a more in-depth search for info is a bitch and a half :/

I feel like you could do a really quick taper at this point, like over just a few days.
But thats only if you really wanted to subvert the insomnia.
I have no experience with heavy withdrawals, but I have done similar to you, probably with somewhat higher doses, but over a less period.
The insomnia from going cold turnkey can certainly be annoying, but I always sorta powered through it. I actually got really into just thinking about stuff during that time. Then I would just wake up in the morning as if my brain decided finally to just flip off with no real warning.
But sometimes I would be in and out of sleep, with bouts of near delirium in the middle of the night as my waking and dreaming consciousness were playing tug of war.
Experiencing that was how I set my limits for benzo use

I feel like you could do a really quick taper at this point, like over just a few days.
But thats only if you really wanted to subvert the insomnia.
I have no experience with heavy withdrawals, but I have done similar to you, probably with somewhat higher doses, but over a less period.
The insomnia from going cold turnkey can certainly be annoying, but I always sorta powered through it. I actually got really into just thinking about stuff during that time. Then I would just wake up in the morning as if my brain decided finally to just flip off with no real warning.
But sometimes I would be in and out of sleep, with bouts of near delirium in the middle of the night as my waking and dreaming consciousness were playing tug of war.
Experiencing that was how I set my limits for benzo use
Managed to sleep a few hours last night, think ive been getting pretty poor sleep funnily enough from relying on it. What you describe is part of the reason why i ended up 3-4 weeks into this habit :/

To Cathy, Clonazepam or clonazolam? One is easier to than the other thats for sure

@HipsterLink how did the clam make you feel? would you usually bite of halves, quarters, or even smaller? I'm about to have 15mg in a 30ml solution (.5mg/ml) and while I have taken high amounts of benzos occasionally in the past, I currently take 2.5-5mg of diazepam maybe like once a week for sleep aid. so mlMy body is not benzo naive, but def not benzo tolerant, let alone dependent I'd say. I was thinking of dosing in the 150-250ug range once in a blue moon as an immediate anxiolytc, occasional sleep aid, and if I ever use it more than a day in a row it'd be like 2 weeks max on the end of a suboxone and maybe gabapentin taper as well that I've been meaning to get done for a good while now. But yeah, curious of your experience, and your prior experience with benzoyl and CNS depressants as a whole. There's a few threads here, and accounts elsewhere yeah but the info out is extremely slim compared to -lams we're all most familiar with.
Edited for clarity

Last edited:
@HipsterLink how did the clam make you feel? would you usually bite of halves, quarters, or even smaller? I'm about to have 15mg in a 30ml solution (.5mg/ml) and while I have taken high amounts of benzoyl occasionally in the past, I currently take 2.5-5mg maybe like once a week for sleep aid. so my body is not benzoyl naive, but def not benzo tolerant, let alone dependent I'd say. I was thinking of dosing in the 150-240ug range once in a blue moon as an immediate anxiolytc, occasional sleep aid, and if I ever use it more than a day in a row it'd be like 2 weeks max on the end of a suboxone and maybe gabapentin taper as well that I've been meaning to get done for a good while now. But yeah, curious of your experience, and your prior experience with benzoyl and CNS depressants as a whole. There's a few threads here, and accounts elsewhere yeah but the info out is extremely slim compared to -lams we're all most familiar with.
When i first got them in I started with a half pill, so .25mg roughly and felt reasonably intoxicated, as in some sluggishness, slight loss of coordination, and euphoria, so some fair similarities to being mild-to-moderately drunk without feeling dumbed down. Anxiolytic effects as well. A full .5mg when i tried it had me struggling to stay awake no matter how long or short I had been up. I get the feeling it didnt stay in my system long as anytime i used it for recreation and didnt fall asleep right away, i would often wake up later on with only 4-5hrs of sleep, broken up by very vivid dreams.

While I've taken other benzos before (xanax, valium, clonazepam and temazepam) its almost always been for comedowns so I havent been all that familiar with their effect profiles enough to compare them. I used to be a pretty heavy drinker as a teenager and a recreational opiate user-turned-turned addict a few years back so I always found benzos to be too subtle for my liking. The effects with clonazolam were definitely not subtle for me at .25mg hence experimenting with lower doses. Onset seemed to vary a bit with it, anywhere from 20-40 min. Hope that information helps a bit, Im really more of a dissociative-head at heart ahah so I kind of find myself at a weird place right now with this habit. From my experience it seems to make a good anxiolytic but the euphoria that can accompany this is what takes it into dangerous territory for me.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Your doses are equal to probably 1mg of klonopin a day. Clam is potent shit. I once used 3mg a day for 4 days for opiate withdrawal and I had tremors and withdrawals from that. I've used xanax and high doses of clonazepam, up to 6mg a day for weeks with nothing but rebound anxiety. I had zero tolerance when using the clam so I couldn't believe it.

Clam and flubromazolam are by far the best benzos I've ever had. Very euphoric.

Last edited:
I do like some Clonazolam every once in a while. But they are crazy potent.
My single 1mg pills will wipe me right out of the game. Took me a little trial and error to realize 1mg was way too much for someone with little to no tolerance.

Also, its strange they don't seem to be anything like Clonazepam beyond the basic benzo profile.

I do like some Clonazolam every once in a while. But they are crazy potent.
My single 1mg pills will wipe me right out of the game. Took me a little trial and error to realize 1mg was way too much for someone with little to no tolerance.

Also, its strange they don't seem to be anything like Clonazepam beyond the basic benzo profile.
Now when you say wipe you out, could you go into some more detail for me? Because most of what I've read says that's like a multi-day blackout dose.
For the first time I had roughly .125mg clam juice (solution) this morning, and was pretty alert and slightly anxious b4, but within 10min of consumption I felt go back to bed drowsy, even though I had just gotten like something near 13hrs of sleep last night. I fought it and made some coffee, and it dissipated. anxiolytic effects evident at this dose but quite mild. Took my normal 6-8mg of suboxone as I do daily about 4hrs later, seemed to feel more nauseated for a moment than I'd usually be, but no intense CNS depression. Definitely makes me think I'd skip the sub in any sort of high dose( .4mg+ ) since the increased risk of vomit. Gonna have my 900mg of gabapentin I take every other day in a few minutes here, but I don't expect the interaction to be strong given my low dose taken of clam, and the time I took it given its short-med half life (I took it around 11am EST).
The most evident effect for me was although I didn't SEEM intoxicated, time hours flew by as it does on benzos. Did I experience delusions of sobriety at 125ug? I know it's like the 2nd most potent benzo readily available, but DAMN!
So far I'm seeing alot of medicinal potential for this, but not sure about recreational. Then again, it depends what you want to do recreationally.
Now, if you wanna pretend your a bear and hibernate for a week straight, this seems like it'd be your sh*t lol.

**Edited for grammar/clarity. Get used to seeing this footnote alot, I'm kinda OCD about it :)

Last edited:
When you say wipe you out,, could you go into some more detail for me?
Sure. Basically I mean fully black me out. It has never been for days before. Usually I will wake up in my house and see evidence me doing stupid shit for a bit before I stopped being mobile. Luckily I am usually always mostly safely at home when that happens. That only happens with 1mg when I haven't been using benzos for a while.
I had to remind myself of that pretty recently when exactly that happened. Woke up on the couch in my living room and found two open but untouched beers in my kitchen. I remember starting to feel it a little bit, then I was coming to the next morning.
One time though I stupidly took one at night while I was in the middle of nowhere for work sleeping in a dirty shop. I went into the hut beside the shop to roll a spliff. When I walked out with my spliff the sun had come up..... I had blacked out on my feet and come to like 5 hours later.
Or so I thought.
I found footage on my phone that I took while literally climbing all over the heavy equipment stored in the shop.... I was pretty shocked. I guess I just happened to black out while rolling another spliff, and then while blacked out for a few hours I dangerously climbed all over expensive machinery, then I decided later to roll another spliff, and I came to while rolling it just perfectly enough to think it was still the first spliff.... what a mindfuck

I don't doubt that if you take way too much though it could black you out for longer.
Also Flubromazolam I found to black me out longer. Thats how the pills got the name F Bombs in my circle

Sure. Basically I mean fully black me out. It has never been for days before. Usually I will wake up in my house and see evidence me doing stupid shit for a bit before I stopped being mobile. Luckily I am usually always mostly safely at home when that happens. That only happens with 1mg when I haven't been using benzos for a while.
I had to remind myself of that pretty recently when exactly that happened. Woke up on the couch in my living room and found two open but untouched beers in my kitchen. I remember starting to feel it a little bit, then I was coming to the next morning.
One time though I stupidly took one at night while I was in the middle of nowhere for work sleeping in a dirty shop. I went into the hut beside the shop to roll a spliff. When I walked out with my spliff the sun had come up..... I had blacked out on my feet and come to like 5 hours later.
Or so I thought.
I found footage on my phone that I took while literally climbing all over the heavy equipment stored in the shop.... I was pretty shocked. I guess I just happened to black out while rolling another spliff, and then while blacked out for a few hours I dangerously climbed all over expensive machinery, then I decided later to roll another spliff, and I came to while rolling it just perfectly enough to think it was still the first spliff.... what a mindfuck

I don't doubt that if you take way too much though it could black you out for longer.
Also Flubromazolam I found to black me out longer. Thats how the pills got the name F Bombs in my circle
Oh funk now that you mention it pretty sure i blacked out at least once at .5mg. Remember waking up with a full open beer beside me and my laptop on my bed which i normally keep elsewhere. Most other times believe I just passed out before I could do anything stupid, though honestly who knows at this point. May just be the only time I had confirmation I blacked out.

Its felt amazing for recreation due to the euphoria and allowing me to smoke weed without any paranoia but pretty difficult to hit the sweet spot where you're both euphoric and able to stay awake lol

No problem.
Yeah, I would tread verrry carefully with Clonazolam. I like it, but I based on the risk profile I have personally experienced with my overly dosed pills I couldn't really recommend it to just anyone

No problem.
Yeah, I would tread verrry carefully with Clonazolam. I like it, but I based on the risk profile I have personally experienced with my overly dosed pills I couldn't really recommend it to just anyone
Yeah it's not for those new to benzos, or people who don't/won't respect them, that's for sure.

What would the world do w/o people like us, who will willingly ingest substances with such little data on the books lol :)