• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Low Dopamine

kcsteel

Greenlighter
I'm currently prescribed Adderall for ADD 90mg/day IR. Dr will not increase it. I believe I have very low dopamine levels naturally.

I used to have a SEVERE alcohol problem. Served 1 yr in the State Penn from DUI's. I have been 100% sober for 17 months.

I firmly believe that Adderall is playing a big role in my sobriety. It raises my dopamine levels and numbs my impulses. Makes me think deeply about the consequences of my actions before I act.

When I run out of my AD's, I don't want to do sh*t and I crave mad alcohol.
I'm scared to death of a relapse. It will be the end of me... Real rap.

Are there treatments for low dopamine? Any other advice ya'll?

Perhaps try an antidepressant? “Low dopamine” isn’t to my knowledge a diagnosable condition, although it may be related to other conditions.

Why do you run out of your prescription? That I think is one of the bigger issues.

It also might be worth trying something like piracetam, especially if you are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD.

From your last thread, I thought your doctor was going to help you out with some XR adderall or something - what happened mate?

The problem with relying on dopaminergics for depression is that they'll stop working as an antidepressant, and patients think the stuff isn't working anymore. On the contrary, increased mood is a side effect.

So you abuse your script, and are asking for other drugs until your next script is ready to be filled. No wonder, I'd crave drugs too if I was coming off a mega speed abuse session.

It doesn't work that way. Again, dopaminergics work for a short while as antidepressants.

Sounds like you need stimulant rehab. People substitute addictions a lot in this manner. I'm keeping this open for now. If you keep asking about how to get high, I'm going to close it.

Why do so many people with a laymens knowledge of neurotransmitters seem to think they can diagnose themselves with low dopamine? I'm guilty of this too, strangely enough it was also when I was tryin to get more adderall from my doctor.

XR's didn't work too well for me sir. I tried man... Plus insurance didn't cover 1 penny of the cost. Expensive script!

I do not have depressed mood whatsoever. I do have a lack of interest/motivation when I'm not on my AD's. I have been on the same 90 mg Adderall for over 1 year now with no increase in dosage. I'm not asking how to get high, I'm asking for advice on maintenance, perhaps another medication is more appropriate for my personal situation.

I take Lexapro for depression. Work wonders for me. No issues with depression for years. I run low on my script due to the fact that I have been on the same dosage for over a year. Tolerance... I have done nothing but succeed and perform at a high level with AD's. It just doesn't last me thru the entire day. Tried Vyvanse... Crap.

90mg is already a fairly high daily dosage- I don't blame your doc for not wanting to raise it....and from your post- running out early, abusing your mediation, etc etc....sounds much more like a substance abuse disorder than low dopamine problem.....you need to start getting real with yourself man.

OF COURSE you think more about those consequences when you're twacked out or under influence of amphetamine dude! You think more ALTOGETHER! Maybe next time you're tweaking, REALLY think about this in particular.....

Ho-Chi is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT when said that people substitute addictions a lot in this manner- it's ridiculously common!

Look, I'm not telling you that you need to make any changes (rehab, drug counseling, etc)- though might help- because I don't know you or your life circumstances, all I'm saying is you need to seriously think and come down to reality- don't let you fool your own self.....because 99% that is exactly what you're doing.
You don't need to act in any way, all you need to do is sit down and think this out, at least admit to yourself that there might be a problem (and not the one you're mentally substituting)- just so YOU can know and so you can know how to deal with it if the time ever comes that you feel it needs dealing with....it'll help you and others if you can just be real about it. Whether you choose to do anything about it is all up to you.

-PA

Supposing that I'm substituting... What's the harm? Seriously? Allow me to compose a side by side...

With my severe and I mean SEVERE alcohol problem: I was literally, physically killing my body and my entire life! Overweight, liver problems, high blood pressure, severe gout, arthritis, memory loss, signs of diabetes, broken bones, pain everywhere, legal problems (4 DUI'S), fines, State Parole, fist fights, totaled 2 vehicles, loss of friends, loss of trust, fired from 3 jobs, all my $ going to booze, no accomplishments, everything cluttered and messy, major depression, killing my family, jail time, prison time for God's sake...
Overall disaster!

Since I've been on Adderall: 18 months 100% clean and sober, all physical/health issues listed above alleviated and gone, gained respect and trust back from friends and family, formed new quality relationships, I'm a pleasure to be around, back in shape, all legal problems resolved, off State Parole, fines paid off and saving money to buy a new car, cleaned up my credit and reputation, have a solid career, gained mentors, learning new business skills, everything organized and squared away.
Overall, Killing it!

Again, what's the harm in me needing a reasonable adjustment to my current Adderall script? Whether that be an increase or alternative of some sort...

The problem is you're already on a high dose. Are you just gonna keep increasing your dose until you're on 300mg a day? Where does it end

I don't know why you are suggesting I will be taking 300 mg a day. I understand your logic, but that's extreme. I am 6' 3" 235 lbs and fit. 90 mg is not a high dose for me...

Weight doesn't really matter once you get into daily use, then it become a tolerance issue.

You should try using them a little less often or maybe lower your dose a little. Amps work so much better if you give your body small breaks in between. I doubt your doctor is gonna go much higher with your dose.

If things are already perfect why do you want to change them?

You're already way off the spectrum of the .5mg/kg norm. 60mg is too high a dose, by this metric.

So yeah you need to learn from your issues and stop thinking drugs are going to make a good life for you.

To my understanding, dopamine releasing agents like amphetamines end up depleting dopamine when used long-term daily in high doses. Your low dopamine might just be that you're suffering from amp withdrawals.

Last edited: