• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids loperamide stuff

mabzie55

Bluelighter
So I had never really heard much about loperamide before going on these forums.

Basically all I know is that it is used to help with opiate withdrawal.

But would it also potentiate opiates?

I saw in another thread asking about a bupe combo, would it potentiate sub? Or would the bupe/naloxone not allow it to work?

Could someone with a low opiate tolerance withdrawal from it if they did it daily for awhile? (This question is more just out of pure curiosity)

Is it available OTC in the U.S.?

In general any additional info would be helpful.

Yeah, loperamide is OTC everywhere as far as I know.
(Brand name 'Imodium').
As for potentiating - I don't think it would work particularly well.
It would cause a potentially dramatic increase in constipation if added to bupe or other opioids - but in and of itself, it is only "active" in a very peripheral sense (at least in my experience - some people report getting some opiate effects from massive doses, but if you track down the loperamide 'big and dandy' thread, there is plenty of evidence there to suggest that such large dosing is very dangerous and has killed several Bluelighters).

Yes, loperamide offers many people a fairly straightforward way to manage withdrawals - particularly the physical side; the GI discomfort and other physical responses to withdrawal.
Some users report an easing of the mental symptoms of opiate withdrawal, but one of the problems with this is that in sufficiently high doses, you may well get WD symptom relief, but you may also find that you're swapping one habit for another - and I understand that withdrawing from loperamide is pretty fucking nasty.

So...lope is pretty useful when used appropriately - for detox and the later stages of acute withdrawal.
Or for times that you get caught short, and need to work (for example) - but I wouldn't recommend incorporating it into an addict's regular drug regimen - instead, save it for when you need it to get by.

There is a wealth of information in this thread - but I take some of it with a grain of salt.
Dosing hundreds of milligrams might stave off withdrawals from your drug of choice...but it may also have far more serious consequences than conventional opiates/opioids.
I only ever took lope "as directed" for the help it offered to get through life whilst dealing with withdrawal.
This is after a serious taper - which is what I would advise anyone do.
Abusing loperamide is fucking dangerous - while it is a handy tool, it is by no means a miracle drug or a "get out of jail free card".
Think of it as another tool that can be used to cope with the more uncomfortable parts of opiate withdrawal.

It is over the counter as previously stated....

As far as potentiation, NO it does not potentiate or synergize well with any other opioids or opiates.

IN FACT in my experiences and my experiences alone, lope actually skyrocketed my tolerance to conventional opiates..... I was younger and wanted to "get high" off of lope.... I took ~200mg (not recommended- very stupid to attempt) It was a very dirty uncomfortable feeling, I'd rather be sober!! But anyways, a couple days go by, and I get my hands on oxy and I take double to get high, and the high was definitely lightened..... I was more than pissed about my stupidity.

I have had very positive experiences "potentiating" with lope during the few and far between times my tolerance was very low. Others have experienced the same and you will find their comments confirming this around the forums. It only seems to work at lower doses of lope (8mg or so) - extending a short kratam or hydro high and increasing intensity.

Some have speculated that the reasons it works but I don't really know. The possibilities make sense.

Its much more pronounced than other potentiating methods, IMO. As I mentioned - it turned the weak, fragile and fleeting kratam high to a real opiod feel that had me floored for hours. too much lope (above 8mg for me) and it feels gross as well as seeming to block the high/overpower or something.

As my tolerance increased and I moved on to ... well back to heroin I just quit bothering obviously. Also thought I better save any differing tolerance for withdrawal so I keep them in my massive "go-bag" of comfort detox meds.

Op,

It feels kind of nice. Takes the edge off of a bad day.

Is it oxycontin? No.

Is it safe? No.

Can it be helpful? Yup.

Make sense of that how you will.

I would advise against using lope with other opiates as the effects of this drug seems to vary greatly from person to person. Alot of people with larger habits who take massive amounts to fight off withdrawal experience very little G.I. distress, while I wouldn't even consider taking more than 4mgs during my worst set of oxymorphone w/d's as it causes a great deal of cramping and bloating.

Last edited:
I would advise against using lope with other opiates as the effects of this drug seems to vary greatly from person to person. Alot of people with larger habits who take massive amounts to fight off withdrawal experience very little G.I. distress, while I wouldn't even consider taking more than 4mgs during my worst set of oxymorphone w/d's as it causes a great deal of cramping and bloating.

Yes. Before learning about utilizing loperamide for withdrawal, I never would have thought about taking more than 2-4mg as the common thinking is that it will constipate you for weeks. In the midst of withdrawal I've taken 20 mg and gone a day and a half later. But it's still unhealthy can bring on so many problems so I only use it if I am going to quit for a while and don't plan on using loperamide again for a long time. Therefore, I'd recommend not using it for potentiation. Not only that, but I've found that it raises or keeps tolerance stagnant without any psychological effect. Pretty pointless to me.