Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Looking for new(er) good sci-fi movies & series

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
What I like is among:

(Movies) Alien trilogy, Prometheus, Interstellar, Matrix trilogy, eXiszenZ, Event Horizon
(Series) 12 Monkeys, Dark Matter, Travelers, Lost in Space, Black Mirror, Doctor Who (& Torchwood), Rick & Morty, first season of Altered Carbon
(Books) Steven King - The Black Tower series, Philip P. Peterson - Transport series

Maybe with time some more will come to my mind.

In past I liked Stargate partially, guess more Atlantis than SG-1 but certainly less so Star Trek. Part of them was well, somehow bory. All that counseling for example. Not that I need full on action all the time but I like psychological tension and horror elements. The new star wars is ok even when I didn't like the classic ones too much.

Am looking for some exciting and immersive new sci-fi stuff, with elements of space travel or similar, but somehow wasn't yet successful.
Just thought I'll ask you guys 😎

Last edited:
Then another one on Netflix where the first season is about an antarctician pharma resesrch facility where if I remember it correctly a virus leaked out and turned the employees into psychos. The second season plays on a remote island which is related to this corp and is inhabited by a sort of cult.. Maybe somebody knows the name?

Maybe Helix

Happy you started this thread. I've been looking for a TV series for like... a year, cause nothing keeps my attention but if you are a reader...

I just finished Children of Ruin, the sequel to Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky a couple weeks ago and am still awe struck at that man's ability to capture the nuance in the possibilities of a particular future that makes it real, and beautiful to imagine. In particular, these two books deal what it would be like to interact and work side by side with Earthborn species that have evolved "human level" intelligence. Baby spoiler, but doesn't change the experience, in the first book, it is spiders, and the second, octopuses. And more.

I was shocked when in the second it became pretty much a horror novel, though maybe not intentionally. I've never had to stop so often in a book because I need a few deeps breaths and step back to reality from what was happening.

I also just finished Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang, which was fucking delightful. It's a collection of science fiction short stories, also "possible future driven," one of which was adapted into the movie, Arrival. And was then totally bummed when Exhalation, his next short story collection that he came out with this year, was such a bore I didn't bother to renew when my reservation expired in the middle of one of the stories.

Guess I'm gonna check out The Expanse.

I'm lazy, so here's a cross-post for "Arrival," from the films recently watched thread, I think it's one of my all time favorite films, sci-fi or not.

I re-watched "Arrival" (2016). It's a Sci-fi film and I think it's just brilliant. I really like the intrigue side of Sci-fi and trying to figure things out (as opposed to just non-stop action) and this is very much what the film is about. I think it really is masterful in terms of making us examine language, time, unity, memory and even the human experience itself. The only thing that I thought was maybe a little off was the initial pacing; it feels like it takes a long time to really get into the thick of the plot, but also, this was my fourth time watching it, so maybe I just wanted to get to the proverbial "meat" faster. It's one of those films that you really need to pay attention to and there are so many awesome little details that make so much sense when you "get" what's going on in a massive woosh of epiphany. I rarely watch a sci-fi film four times, but this is one that I keep coming back to. I'm being deliberately vague as I don't want to spoil it, but watch it if you get the chance! 9.5/10

I also really enjoyed the show "Love, Death + Robots" (2019) - It's an animated sci-fi type anthology. All short and standalone pieces with a running theme. Definitely works of love. It's on Netflix but can be found elsewhere. Only 1 season so far, but I enjoyed every piece.

The Abyss. Way underrated 90s classic.

443888.jpg

I know I reccomend it a lot, but "Dark" on Netflix is brilliant. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. "Another Life" on Netflix is also worth watching, even if it's a bit cliche.

As far as movies go, "Arrival" and "Ex Machina" are favorites of mine, but "Annihilation" is better than either.

Children of Men

One of my all-time favourites.

Good watch with Logan, if you're into comparative literature-type film viewing.

I (and many others, I'm certain) loved the 2004 version of Battlestar Galatica, although I suppose it's not really "new" anymore. It was very much a product of its time, but a whole lot of the allegory stands up today.

DEVS was good, same creator as Ex Machina and Annihilation, Alex Garland, who also wrote some other great screenplays and novels. The Tesseract by him is worth a read, though not particularly sci-fi.

If you haven't, you should read everything available by Phillip K Dick. It's not new by any means, but it's probably the biggest influence on modern sci-fi, and many classic movies have been made from his stories. Time doesn't exist in some of his philosophy, anyway, so it counts as new :D

Snow Crash by Neal Stephonson is my favourite sci-fi novel. I've been hearing rumours of a film adaptation for years, but nothing so far.

...as well as Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert's "Dune" series. So looking forward to the remake of Dune.
I kinda liked David Lynch's Dune. I wish Alejandro Jordowosky would have been able to make his adaptation fully realized too. I'm just now reading the novel, and a 1/3rd of the way through. Easy reading but enthralling.

As far as movies go, "Arrival" and "Ex Machina" are favorites of mine, but "Annihilation" is better than either.
Of these, I thought Ex Machina was by far the best, but this goes to show these things are very subjective. Annihilation came close to be being great but fell at the end. Same with Arrival. When I saw the same guy who directed Arrival was doing Blade Runner: 2049, I knew 2049 wouldn't live up to the Ridley Scott original... I wasn't wrong.