• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Looking for information

GingerKitty

Greenlighter
Good morning!!

There has been a lot of talk in my state about legalizing recreational marijuana use and I have a feeling it’s only a matter of time (within the next 5 years would be my best guess)I have spent the last 20+ years educating myself and advocating to others in hopes of legalization one day.

I have an idea for a business I want to open. I have been tossing the idea of a social consumption club/coffee house around in my head for about 7 years now, though I didn’t know there was an actual name (social consumption club) for what i was thinking until recently) It’s nothing that hasn’t been thought of and done before in states with recreational laws but I know it would be well received and profitable in my area. I want to be the first person (or one of the first) to open a place like this in my state. I also have ideas on different ways and areas I can expand into once the initial business is up, running and making money.

Now that my idea has the chance of becoming a reality for me I feel like I should get ahead of the curve and start actually planning as much as I can. Even without having a clue what the laws on recreational use are going to be for my state, I figure I can change anything that needs changed once the laws are specified.

I was wondering if there is anyone active on this website who owns a recreational marijuana based business in any state that would be willing to share their wisdom, answer questions and give advice? If there isn’t anyone active in here involved or willing to chat with me does anyone know of any message boards or websites where any of these business owners congregate and talk openly.

Even websites that are just knowledgeable and reputable that don’t have professionals offering advice would be useful.

Thanks for reading!

If you are looking to do everything completely above board, the best thing is to probably get familiar with the people making decisions in your locality. Even in CA, where recreational cannabis is legal for 21+, there are still some cities and counties that oppose all commercial activity. There is an active lawsuit between cities that don't even want to allow delivery services and the state of CA right now.

Most social clubs, similar to what you mention, are still black or grey market. A lot of them popped up around the medical market, and served as an underground gathering spot for vendors and card holding patients. The actual attraction of each social club varied from place to place, with some being coffee shop style and others being big event style with bands, and pretty much everything in between. So, in terms of attraction, you can do whatever you want, so long as you are bringing people through the doors.

The biggest obstacle will be getting all the licenses and permits. A lot of people in CA got their dreams crushed when either the city/county didn't allow certain types of cannabis business, or when they're applications got denied. The people that did spent a whole lot of money getting them, and that is just the start of the expenses, so have some money saved up or find investors who do.