• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Looking for experienced benzo users input on Valerian root. (if you have tried it)

^ I always wanted to be one of those people.

I've tried Valerian root multiple times by itself and with other substances but could never feel a thing from it. That may be due to my fairly high tolerance to benzos though.

Probably,
BTW are you someone who grew up with the nicname 'Wiggy' who grew up in the state of MA?

i think that the valerian root did serve it's purpose, rather than having pronounced effects thought i just felt like it stopped any anxiety from actually occuring, at leasy any major anxiety.

I don't know what state you live in but go to an herbal apothecary and but valerian root. Or if you have a store such as Alfalfa's... go there and buy some. They sell the root in bulk. The best option I think for anxiety is to get a tincture and to take about one dropper full when you are strung out and/or anxious. For sleep I take about 3x that but don't over do it because valerian is a heating herb so if you are feeling hot IT WILL NOT HELP YOU. IT WILL PROBABLY MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE. Herbs have energetics and they work with your bodies energetics. Drugs don't because they are just one molecular compound taken from an herb.... So yes go try valerian TINCTURE or herb if you can find that. CAPSULES are not the best route because you don't know when they were harvested and buy being in powdered form and kept in plastic they have lost many of their constituents so it won't really be as beneficial. Tinctures are easy to carry around and easy to take whenever so thats what I use. I like the sweet taste of valerian personally, in any form. But when I'm having mad hot flashes I stay away from herbs like valerian because they are warming.
Hope this helps! I am an herbalist and an experienced benzo user.

I don't know what state you live in but go to an herbal apothecary and but valerian root. Or if you have a store such as Alfalfa's... go there and buy some. They sell the root in bulk. The best option I think for anxiety is to get a tincture and to take about one dropper full when you are strung out and/or anxious. For sleep I take about 3x that but don't over do it because valerian is a heating herb so if you are feeling hot IT WILL NOT HELP YOU. IT WILL PROBABLY MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE. Herbs have energetics and they work with your bodies energetics. Drugs don't because they are just one molecular compound taken from an herb.... So yes go try valerian TINCTURE or herb if you can find that. CAPSULES are not the best route because you don't know when they were harvested and buy being in powdered form and kept in plastic they have lost many of their constituents so it won't really be as beneficial. Tinctures are easy to carry around and easy to take whenever so thats what I use. I like the sweet taste of valerian personally, in any form. But when I'm having mad hot flashes I stay away from herbs like valerian because they are warming.
Hope this helps! I am an herbalist and an experienced benzo user.

You're replying to an old thread from 2+ years ago ;)

I'm a very experienced benzo user (have done 19 different benzos) and valerian is nowhere as good as even the weakest of benzos (chlordiazepoxide, oxazepam, clorazepate, etc).

First time I ever hear of any substance that can top chlordiazepoxide in the non-effect department. Took a 25mg Librium capsule in 1984 and still waiting for it to take effect. So valerian tops that... disconcerting.

^ I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response over two years later... ;)

The thing that i found with Valerian is that in your stomach it metabolizes into Valeric Acid which can really upset your stomach (Cramps, heartburn, etc)

Valerian,in any form,is utter shit.Never had any effects whatsoever IME.Not even the slightest calming effect or lessening of anxiety.It's a waste of time and money better spent on alcohol if you don't want to do benzos.Alcohol is at least a pretty good anxiolytic and not a bad painkiller.

Yeah I know this is 2 years old but was interesting to read. I'm needing an anxiety reliever and do have experience with the "cheap valerian pills" and they do have some effect but it's an insane amount of pills. So I'm hoping this guy had a good suggestion on the valerian tincture. Has anyone tried this?

I've never tried kava but I think I've found a good vendor for trying some dried juice. Any suggestions on the dried kava before I make a purchase?

Yeah,my Granny (God rest her soul) was big time into all of that herbal/holistic /homeopathic home remedy shit.All kinds of supposed herbal medicines and I've tried the kava,valerian etc....in pills,capsules,juices,tinctures,you name it and none ever had the slightest effect on me even in large ammounts.But my panic disorder is pretty damn severe so it may indeed do something for you.Everyone's body chemistry is different so who knows?Hope you get something from it but I wouldn't hold my breath.Good luck and let me know how it does.

Valerian is nature's Valium. It's great for insomnia or mild anxiety. That said, it won't produce a strong/recreational buzz like benzos...especially if you currently have a high benzo tolerance.

I alternate between valerian root and kava as sleep aids. However, they didn't do shit when I was in benzo withdrawal.

It has never produced a buzz for me, but it greatly improves my sleep. I tend to wake up a lot during the night (especially during stressful events), and taking an extract before going to sleep helps a lot. I also feel pretty comfortable while laying in bed before falling asleep, but that could be placebo.

I'll add to an old thread.

I get this resin-y extract stuff from a local shop and it works quite well. I just chew it and swallow...kinda gross. It's sedating, but not recreational like benzos. Good for tapering along with kava. I plan on picking some up after work today.

I find the capsules to be hit or miss. Sometimes they help and sometimes they do little.

Be careful, and take a small dose at first. Some people have adverse reactions, because their body lacks the ability to break it down properly. It isn't a horrible reaction, but better to start slow.

I only used it to sleep, and I used it with ambien, when I was out of melatonin. It did help, it is very stinky.

Valerien root isn't bad at all. I tried to give some to a friend of mine going through opiate withdrawals. He refused it because he didn't want to take anything but "real drugs." His loss it actually works. I would compare taking 4 capsules to taking 25mg librium. Just enough to take the edge off.