• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Long time occasional coke user - sudden crazy anxiety and breathing issues

sporadic

Greenlighter
Hi All,

I have been a once a month coke user for 10 years, just a few lines. I have always got a nice high but experience diminishing returns after a few lines to the point where it's not enjoyable. Not one of those users that can go all night and still have fun. 12 months ago I was at a friends house, took my first line for the evening, and then spent the next 2 hours flat on my back struggling to breathe, major anxiety, inability to speak. I was close to calling an ambulance but rode it out. I've never had a reaction even close to this. I had my lungs and heart checked out and all was fine apparently. I have tried different batches since, in very small amounts, like third of a fingernail, and I get the same reaction every time. Not even the slightest head rush, just full on physical anxiety, and breathing issues. I'm 44, in very good shape. I guess this drug is not for me. But I am at a loss why I suddenly react like this. I am not super keen to get on the drug again (ok maybe a little bit!) but I do want a medical explanation. I can't see a doctor helping me here, so thought I'd ask you good folks at Bluelight. Why can I not tolerate a spec of cocaine any more?

Hey there! I'm sending this to Other Drugs where you can get some help. You posted in Trip Reports, which is just for posting trip reports and doesn't get a lot of responses usually.

this shit that gets put in cocaine is gross. i wouldn't touch the drug unless its off a brick..even then its full of levimisole .

i have read numerious reports of everytype of bath salt you can think of being put into cocain and crack. in my old city cooking crack with flakka was standard

I get that, but I've tried different batches, in the tiniest amounts, at the same time as friends. it's just me that has major issues. I simply want to know if there is an underlying problem. I don't want to take the drug again particularly

Cocaine alters neurochemistry over time and the brain remembers and learns from each use. Maybe you just got unlucky (or lucky) and coke now causes your body to react in a certain way that isn't enjoyable anymore.

It's a difficult question to answer due to the multitude of reasons for this, maybe there's an underlying health issue, maybe brain chemistry, maybe it's bad coke that your friends just handle better, etc.

I don't have a medical explanation to offer, but just wanted to say that it isn't all that unusual for a persons reaction to a drug to change over time. Probably like falsified said, over time there are neurochemistry changes + brain adapting/learning/associating.

I love stimulants but over time my reaction changed too.In the beginning it was bliss, now any time I take stims it feels like mostly side effects (anxiety, shitty physical symptoms, paranoia, etc) and very little of the good effects unless I take way too much. But with way too much there are still too many side effects, it's like the good effects to side effects ratio is way off for me nowadays.

Sucks but is what it is. Probably time to be thinking of moving on from coke.

Thanks guys. I appreciate that it is not uncommon for the effect of drugs to change over time. This change in me just feels particularly sudden and massive. From being able to get a nice high on a few lines to actually feeling ill on like 1/3 of a line. Ideally I would like to seek out a respiratory doctor with expertise on coke, no idea how I would do that though.

This. ^ you dont want to be substituting the anxiety with drugs to continue using cocaine.. it doesnt go anywhere and will continue to get worse or just happen, take a few months off, i had this happen when i was a seriously heavy hash smoker ( 3-4 grams per day) and after years and years of this i began having anxiety from it everytime i toked up took a 6 month break, and now i can smoke as i used to but generally dont as much anymore further more, i think the breathing issues are directly linked with the anxiety youre experiencing

It was probably just an idiosyncratic somatic reaction on your part or a more potent batch of cocaine than usual or another drug entirely.