Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Long Term Use - 10 years +

scubajunky

Greenlighter
HI All,
I am approaching forty years of age and have been using ecstasy for twenty years. The longest break I have had was probably a year or so. I absolutely hammered it for the first six or seven years. Nearly every weekend or three times a month probably, all the lads did. I have probably done over two thousand pills or so.
I am just wandering, are there other people out there who have hammered it like that and if so how do you feel. Do you feel it has effected you in any way ?

Hello scubajunky.

I'm the same age. I would assume my use is about 500 doses approx. Had a couple of these long term comedowns one lasted 6 months one lasted 2 years. This was in a nutshell a LIVING NIGHTMARE.

Don't take anything now.

Long term effects yes I feel some I would say the most noticeable are:

CONCENTRATION & MEMORY.

As you know all this is very subjective and controversial. Is it the MDMA that has caused this? Is it just age? Is it just genetics?

Well the long term comedowns that was definitely drug related.

The memory and concentration in my opinion I think the drugs are definitely linked.

If I had my time again would I have done it? Yes but probably less to excess and definitely been a lot more aware of dose, testing and just a general awareness of what I was doing.

This forum has provided me with a lot of valuable knowledge an in sight to the potential dangers of what I had already done.

Luckily I am out the other side and life is still good.

Unfortunately it doesn't always end like this :)

I used to know one guy who had been doing pills for around ten years. He was the most insane person I have ever met. But I don't know how much drugs contributed to this. By all accounts he was always a bit of a weird kid, although I didn't know him then.

Firstly, people thought he was mad. He was always talking about the same things - over and over again. Even when he was not on drugs.

Secondly, one time one a mephedrone binge he completely lost his memory. Literally, he could not remember what he said or did 5 seconds ago. I believe this improved after a year or so, but very slowly.

Thirdly, he started having fits. All of a sudden he would just freeze. With a glazed-over look on his eyes and saliva just running out of his mouth, he would be frozen on the spot, completely unaware of anything. Apparently, one time he had a fit and was lying on the floor naked, crying in his own urine.

Fourthly, he is currently servicing 10 years in prison for brutally attacking an old man and stamping on his head.

Now there are some very strong caveats here, and many of them, suggesting that MDMA may have played some part, or actually none at all.
- he was always a bit strange - even as a kid
- he started taking pills at the age of 15 (not fully developed etc)
- he probably had the odd 3 or 4 month break, but pretty much regularly did pills - 2 times a week very often
- he only took pills - never pure mdma (a lot of speed, ketamine, and certainly other things like BZP will have been in there)
- he smoked weed on a daily basis

If we see other stories of people showing similar characteristics after 10 - 15 years of MDMA, then I think we can suggest there is a link. However, I don't think there is enough evidence to think that all of the negative effects were solely down to MDMA - if at all.

HI All,
I am approaching forty years of age and have been using ecstasy for twenty years. The longest break I have had was probably a year or so. I absolutely hammered it for the first six or seven years. Nearly every weekend or three times a month probably, all the lads did. I have probably done over two thousand pills or so.
I am just wandering, are there other people out there who have hammered it like that and if so how do you feel. Do you feel it has effected you in any way ?

Of course there are :) - Lad's makes me think NE UK ? Rezerection ?

Of course there are - Lad's makes me think NE UK ? Rezerection ?

Wow that's funny definitely north LOL.

Being from the South West it was all Fantazia, Perception, Universe.

I hear Paul Shurey the Main Man from Universe died in Goa last year I think fell over and banged his head on a rock or something? sounds a bit weird but omg that guy was definitely what I would describe as one of the first Rave Promoters to Experience the serious Rock and Roll lifestyle of the 90s.

I used to work for him in Club UK in London and wow amazing chap hosted some truly awesome parties. i think his downfall was one of two things drugs and taking on a chap called Vince Powers who he initially partnered with then fell out with. I think it then came down to a Tribal Gathering vs Creamfields and guess which one won ?

In the grand scheme of things I think there are many out there who have taken well in excess of 1000+ pills. Im sure there are some side effects its just one of those things thats hard to quantify hence why its kinda speculative.

I can only speak personally really but have taking a lot of pills affected me? YES. Is my life fucked? NO but it would have been different now without the pills ;)

I first used in 2000 at age 19 averaging about one roll a week, thirty times, for six months. I could be wrong ; however I felt it caused some chemical imbalances for six months afterwards , getting back to 80-90%, slowly improving then maybe a two full years to be at 100%. Again i could be wrong, this is just how my body seemed to feel. Ive played with once every three months and that didnt seem to work well for me, the effects faded. I took a year break and it was nice. I took a six month break and that was nice. My experience for myself currently, is once every four months minimum , if I really want to roll.

Having said that some compounds seem more forgiving than others, like 6-apb at 70-90 mgs seems more forgiving than a good X pill

I dont take it anymore but from 1997 to late 2000, early 2001 I did it, anywhere from 2 to 6 tabs, maybe more at times, every weekend. Everyone did back then.

Started in 2000 at 20 years of age. Didn't really ramp up my consumption until a year and a half or so later. I have no idea how many pills my friends and I consumed since then, but there were many Friday-Sunday sessions. Some weeks we even started on Wednesday, and went until Tuesday (yikes). Thank god I was one of the more sensible ones back then. Even so, I'm guessing I've passed 500, maybe even 1000 pills consumed to date.

Issues? Sure! we're aging, have since been on (and off) other medication(s), and are not getting the same exercise. There are just too many unaccounted for variables to make definitive correlations. Overall, it's added more than it's subtracted from my life, worse effects still to come or not. Every day I feel blessed I lived through the hey days in my city; we were known as the new Seattle in the 90's, with a huge punk/rock/metal and hip hop scene that spawned an internationally recognized electronic music scene. That scene truly enriched my life, by giving me a sense of community (both online and IRL), creativity (by learning to spin myself, and the fashion :D) along with a truly DIY mentality. Funnily enough, that same community is currently gathering back together to make a documentary about the 90s/early 2000s and what it was like here. If I hadn't experienced that, or I came into it later, I don't know that I would feel as blessed as I do. I'm sure I'd be a much angrier and reclusive person.

I haven't eaten any mdma in about 2 years . I ate my first pill in 1994 and didn't stop going hard till 2013 . I did have some breaks that lasted up to 4 months plus there were times when the quality was shit . The worse effect I may have is a slight depression from using up to much serotonin . No way to know for sure but I am glad that I did mdma . The only regret is that I didn't have a test kit until 2010 .

Interesting responses so nobody really seems to think there are really long lasting effects from over indulging for so long ?

I have used ecstasy for 19 years. Early use was approximately every 3 weeks to 1 month. Usually 3 pills per session, sometimes up to 5. My biggest breaks are 6-9 months.

Do I have some short term memory and concentration issues? Yes. However, my older sister who has lived a very puritan life has worse issues than me in this regard, and she did not get these issues until later in life. She is extremely scatterbrained, has difficulty concentrating etc. She has never used any drug, and she does not drink alcohol. So, it may be genetic.

I also managed to maintain a 3.95 out of 4 GPA in both undergraduate and graduate school. I have maintained a successful career, housing, relationships etc. So, if it negatively impacted me, it really did not impact my functionality as a human being, or my intellect.

My partner, however, has experienced ongoing anxiety and depression, digestive problems, auto immune problems etc. Whether his issues are related to the E or not, I don't know. It is up for debate, I suppose. But, I don't think it helped him any, and I think it exacerbated some vitamin deficiencies and underlying health issues for him. He rolled for a total of 9 years, from 2001 to 2010, with maybe 2 total experiences after that from 2010 to present.

I have used ecstasy for 19 years. Early use was approximately every 3 weeks to 1 month. Usually 3 pills per session, sometimes up to 5. My biggest breaks are 6-9 months.

Do I have some short term memory and concentration issues? Yes. However, my older sister who has lived a very puritan life has worse issues than me in this regard, and she did not get these issues until later in life. She is extremely scatterbrained, has difficulty concentrating etc. She has never used any drug, and she does not drink alcohol. So, it may be genetic.

I also managed to maintain a 3.95 out of 4 GPA in both undergraduate and graduate school. I have maintained a successful career, housing, relationships etc. So, if it negatively impacted me, it really did not impact my functionality as a human being, or my intellect.

My partner, however, has experienced ongoing anxiety and depression, digestive problems, auto immune problems etc. Whether his issues are related to the E or not, I don't know. It is up for debate, I suppose. But, I don't think it helped him any, and I think it exacerbated some vitamin deficiencies and underlying health issues for him. He rolled for a total of 9 years, from 2001 to 2010, with maybe 2 total experiences after that from 2010 to present.

Confirming short term memory and concentration issues. Very common after even one use. Noticed it right away. You know that feeling when you rolling really good and talking to someone and run into a wall mid-sentence? Like, forgot what you were saying? Yea, that doesnt fully leave you. :p

I heavily abused myself, somewhere between 3000 and 3500 pills between ages 16 to 25, 1996 to 2005.

I no doubt sufferend severe cognitive impairments and alterations to brwin function, personality and perspective on life.

I rode through the worst and was always incredibly mentally and spiritually strong and resilient. I broke all the rules, long term binges, like 10 days on the trot, constant redosing. Many times.

I used to go to saunas on comedowns, not knowing anything back then about heat and neurotoxicity exacerbation.

But then in 2005 something far worse, more life destroying and impactful happened when I developed full blown Lyme Disease.

Before this happened in 2005 looking back I was quite comfortable and happy and coping very well in life except I wasn't enjoying working full-time in mundane jobs and would have been over the moon to have a salary for nothing lol.

Living with lyme disease for the last 14 years and being allergic to practically everything has been an absolute curse, and I would almost suggest that at the borrelia bacteria which is the causative agent of Lyme Disease is capable of doing as much or greater harm then heavy MDMA abuse.

So it is impossible to really appraise the the full and long-term impact that my MDMA abuse has had on my life and health and personality and cognitive ability, because the illness has had equal impact on all of these factors if not greater and certainly obscured things.

However I have said it many times that if my lyme disease and general condition was cured tomorrow I would be jumping for joy and celebrating living every single second and I don't believe in any way held back from being happy and free and comfortable in life due to the ongoing and existing damage I inflicted with my MDMA abuse.

I do believe there are a lot of people out there who have taken as much or more MDMA than myself and who are relatively ok in life.

And so many others these days, proclaiming their life was destroyed since by single or a few moderate doses.

Last edited:
Confirming short term memory and concentration issues. Very common after even one use. Noticed it right away. You know that feeling when you rolling really good and talking to someone and run into a wall mid-sentence? Like, forgot what you were saying? Yea, that doesnt fully leave you. :p
This effect was one which I was thinking about and which was making me deliberate whether to take MDMA again myself because I would not want to lose anything which I have recovered.

Although I am living in a very brain compromised condition due to illness and fatigue and malnutrition etc alongside impairments and injuries, I do feel as though my brain function and memory has a lot going for it in many respects in daily life and especially in conversation with others being very on the ball always.

So even if I was fully confident about the safety of me taking the MDMA which I'm not currently I would be somewhat apprehensive about suddenly noticing that my memory or social skills have been affected in any negative way because I am especially articulate in my expression and I have had really substantial communication issues which I have managed over the years.

Initially as a result of my MDMA abuse resulting in a neurosis and a very unusual speech problem, but since then related to many other factors largely physical in nature.

But my point here- what you say about having a conversation and forgetting what you were saying certainly a massive va feature inseparable from the MDMA experience.

But I'm actually thinking that this can help with anxiety in exactly the same manner whereby these troubling thoughts and feelings which one cannot get out of one's mind in a psychosomatic fashion in my own case can simply fall away and be forgotten more easily.

So it could be that if I was to take MDMA again and it did have some effect on my short-term memory and thought processes which was deemed as negative from one angle, this same alteration could actually be directly beneficial for my severe anxiety disorder currently driven by an overactive mind and imagination conditioned by so much trauma and difficult experience.

Im also a long term roller and managed to pass ungraduate chemistry and math while really fucked on drugs but my grades were not good but i didn't fail. Working in the chemical field is pretty mudane and doesn't acutally require brain power if your brainless lab tech monkey slave to somebody who didn't down enough drugs to kill any normal person during their time at college. My short term and long memory are pretty fucking fried i don't remember alot of things across all timelines of my life. I think its a good thing i dont remember much of high school. Some of the memories come flooding back in on psychedelic trips. I truly believe i could heal if i stopped using and get back to some higher level of brain function but not as what it could of been i truly wasted my potential

Im also a long term roller and managed to pass ungraduate chemistry and math while really fucked on drugs but my grades were not good but i didn't fail. Working in the chemical field is pretty mudane and doesn't acutally require brain power if your brainless lab tech monkey slave to somebody who didn't down enough drugs to kill any normal person during their time at college. My short term and long memory are pretty fucking fried i don't remember alot of things across all timelines of my life. I think its a good thing i dont remember much of high school. Some of the memories come flooding back in on psychedelic trips. I truly believe i could heal if i stopped using and get back to some higher level of brain function but not as what it could of been i truly wasted my potential
I really wouldn't worry too much about your potential, because you DO sound very intelligent ??. I sincerely mean that.
Please remain positive, and yes i did say that ☺.
YOU HAVE THIS !!

Interesting responses so nobody really seems to think there are really long lasting effects from over indulging for so long ?

I definitely do which is why I’ve never abused it. I’m an odity in that I generally stay very in tune with my body and I notice some small memory impact only rolling a few times per year.

Haven’t ever known anyone thats abused mdma that I would put in the category of functioning normally.