• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Long-term stimulant use in moderation - (how) do you manage it?

buuuurps

Bluelighter
Hey everyone, out of all the drugs I tried (which include at least one, though usually several, from all the major drug categories), stimulants are certainly the ones that speak to me the most. They enable me to do the things I want to be doing anyway and enjoy myself as I do them. Not that I can never manage this without stimulants - but I can do it much more reliably and efficiently with them. Naturally, this comes with a few problems, namely increasing dosages, either due to a build-up of tolerance, or to compensate for a lack of sleep, or simply because the experience is so enjoyable, I don't want it to end.

I have experimented with different stimulants and encountered these issues to varying degrees:
- Cocaine is the most extreme example of a stimulant I absolutely cannot use responsibly. If I have any, I WILL end up binging until it is gone, then crash afterwards. Knowing this, I buy it only rarely and in small quantities and only when I have a day or two to waste.
- Ritalin XR: This is on the other end of the spectrum to cocaine for me. It does provide a stimulating effect, but it is at best minimally pleasant. Ritalin XR is the type of stimulant I have the easiest time having in the house and NOT using (even absent any alternatives), just because I don't dig its effects very much at all.
- Amphetamine: This sits right in the middle of the other two in terms of my ability to use in moderation. I find the effect quite enjoyable, but not as much as with coke, and I can usually keep my use to a level where I always eat enough healthy food and also get enough sleep most nights.
- Methamphetamine: I only had this a few times in my life as it is a scary drug to get involved with. The first two or three times were mind-blowingly amazing, however the more recent experiences were much less impressive and actually rather close to regular amphetamine, so I figured I might aswell just stick with that.

As far as ROA, I try to go for oral due to it being somewhat less addictive, though I do of course snort coke (and sometimes amphetamine). I never smoke/vape or inject anything, nor do I ever plan to.

As far as supplements, I do take a range of multivitamins, minerals, fish oil, aswell as (periodically) 5-HTP and L-Tyrosine, and while I suppose that's probably good for my overall health, I can't judge to what degree it assists my body in tolerating the stimulant use specifically.

In any case, I would be curious what strategies those of you have developed who want to use stimulants basically as often as possible without escalating doses or otherwise slipping into tweakerish patterns of behaviour. Which stimulants have you found to be easier to control than others? Is it helpful to have a cycling pattern where e.g. you use different stimulants on alternating days or weeks? Do you have any rules as to what time of day your last dose can be? Etc. Obviously, the "best" way is just to not do drugs, or to only do them only very infrequently, but I'm kind of asking for the second-best way here I guess, so I would appreciate if anyone who has experience with that could weigh in.

I am pretty much unable to do this so my method these days is to be sober most of the time and very occasionally use cocaine. It is short acting, too expensive to be sustainable and short duration and eventual crash tends to not to encourage me to use it for more than a single evening

Anything else and life just goes down the toilet

Unhelpful I know but usually the physical and mental burden (less food, no sleep, psychosis, general deterioration) that frequent stim use places on me means that any stim that is long acting enough to be used long term also tends to fuck my life up

I use meth every day or every second day for a few weeks or a month and then stop for a few weeks or a month for balance. During the time I use it I make sure to sleep every second night at least and use Seroquel and Valium and Agomelatine to make sure that I do. I also eat lots and lots of fruit and vegetable smoothies. In my time off it I take my regular dose of Abilify which seems to protect me from comedowns and from ever becoming psychotic. I usually don’t take the Abilify during my meth weeks.

I work form home and essentially at my own pace so I cram my work into my sober weeks and just don’t think about it during my high weeks. During my sober weeks I also go to the gym or swim laps every second day. During the high weeks I also make sure I stick to fairly regular routine. Walking the dog, going out for a long walk for breakfast, keeping my house spic and span. Stuff like that, so it never feels I’m just a locked in drug fiend.

Hmmmmm, this is a loaded question with a lot of emotion in the answer from me as I‘m an upper guy with about 20 years of experience with stimulants - some on a nearly daily basis. They’re my first, and true love.

that’s not to say that I have it all figured out though. Quite the opposite. In fact now after 20 years and just starting to figure a few things out I think. Like any drug, they have their own quirks and first impressions aren’t always what they seem lol

Like you, I consume all of mine orally, whether it’s my Rx D-amph, capsuled up methamphetamine, except for cocaine which is intranasal. I’ve smoked and shot methamphetamine many years ago just out of curiosities sake and smoking it did nothing and shooting it, well I would never do again just because of the risks and stigma and it doesn’t last as long.

Cocaine was the first stimulant I toyed with and I remember those early years how much fun it was, chatting the night away - such a social drug. I went through a period of very heavy use later and I got super intimate with it and led me to realize that it costs too much money, no matter the amount I have, that’s how much we’re doing, it screws up my sinuses, and as I’ve gotten older only the first hour or two is fun, after that it’s a chore, and I get too much anxiety, and then I can’t sleep for hours after it’s gone. Haven’t touched it in probably six months.

Amphetamines I was first prescribed in college and still take almost daily nearly two decades later. They still do the trick for the most part, but I’ve found that less is more with them and you have to take breaks so you don’t burn out the receptors and neurotransmitters. If you don’t they turn on you and they do the opposite of what you’re looking for - lose focus, make you tired, give you anxiety and make you feel withdrawn. The older I get and more I’ve taken them the more often I need to step away for a week or two.

The methamphetamine class is much like the amphetamines but I can get carried away way too easily with them. Start off taking a capsule one morning and next thing you know three days are gone and I’m strung out, haven’t eaten, bordering on amphetamine psychosis lol. I also hyper focus on reg amphetamine if I’m using them for productivity and I’ll end up on the computer for a whole day, the dog bitching at me because he didn’t get a long walk in. Or I’ll pick up the guitar and play until my fingers are going to fall off. I can hyper focus on regular amps, too but can pull use,f away. So, by trial and error I’ve learned those are best reserved for festivals/shows, parties, multiple day social events - where I won’t be tempted to get lost in a hyper focused loop.

That‘s my general experience with stimulants in a nutshell 🥜

Last edited:
With D2 antagonists.
Yep, supplementation comes in clutch! I take L-Tyrosine and NAC - among a host of others but those two seem to have the biggest perceived impact on retaining a healthy level of dopamine. At least as healthy as it can be when my brain is constantly assaulted by phenylethylamine dopamine releasing agents 😬😬🤷‍♂️

The dex-Amphetamine that was prescribed for year's with some stop's in between never caused me any troubles. Coming of them same story, no withdrawal's. Taking them orally then, 15 -10 -10 mg.

But what i have against these prescribed drugs is a psychiater can only prescribe them. But your GP/ Homedoctor can stop them. happened three times, so that got a bit tiring.

Today when needed i resort to 2-FA (2-Fluoro-amphetamine) keeping at least some control over my medication. And for the sometimes needed stimulation.

But what i have against these prescribed drugs is a psychiater can only prescribe them. But your GP/ Homedoctor can stop them. happened three times, so that got a bit tiring.

Today when needed i resort to 2-FA (2-Fluoro-amphetamine) keeping at least some control over my medication. And for the sometimes needed stimulation.
Ugh, yeah it sounds like you have conflicting orders from two different medical professionals, that can be frustrating. Is there communication between the two doctors? What reason does he/she give for telling you to stop those meds? Not that Im telling you to go against doctor‘s orders - I’m not a medical professional and as such don’t take what I say as medical advice.

I would think they have a good reason for telling you to stop taking them. As a harm reduction website it’s safest to listen to that advice but, I’d be frustrated and confused too.

Yeah you shouldn’t have withdrawals at that dosage, if taken as prescribed. I don’t take mine the days I don’t work, and a few random days in between. I’ve since simplified it and my GP prescribes my Adderall/Dex as well as anything else. Some will do that. I’m prescribed one Adderall XR 30mg once a day plus up to 10mg dextroamphetamine IR twice per day PRN for s “possible“ total of 50mg per day. Days off I don’t tame it, on days I work doubles is the only time I take the whole dose. If I‘m partying or taking another stim I don’t mix them. I don’t have withdraws on those days.

I only have limited experience with 2-FA some years ago and I recall it being more MDxx like. I can’t give you much advice when it comes to self medicating but I totally get it. I can’t say I wouldn’t/haven’t done it myself. Tell me more about the 2-FA, that’s Benzofury right? I was recently just telling a friend we should order some because its still uncontrolled lol

Hang in there and maybe try and get the two docs communicating and whatever the result just stay safe and try to remember whatever the doctor orders for you to have faith they’re doing it in your best interest. If you feel that’s not the case, find a new doctor,

in the meantime I’m always here to listen and hand out cheap advice that comes attached to lots of cliche disclaimers etc lmfao

Cheers!

Ugh, yeah it sounds like you have conflicting orders from two different medical professionals, that can be frustrating. Is there communication between the two doctors? What reason does he/she give for telling you to stop those meds? Not that Im telling you to go against doctor‘s orders - I’m not a medical professional and as such don’t take what I say as medical advice.

I would think they have a good reason for telling you to stop taking them. As a harm reduction website it’s safest to listen to that advice but, I’d be frustrated and confused too.

Yeah you shouldn’t have withdrawals at that dosage, if taken as prescribed. I don’t take mine the days I don’t work, and a few random days in between. I’ve since simplified it and my GP prescribes my Adderall/Dex as well as anything else. Some will do that. I’m prescribed one Adderall XR 30mg once a day plus up to 10mg dextroamphetamine IR twice per day PRN for s “possible“ total of 50mg per day. Days off I don’t tame it, on days I work doubles is the only time I take the whole dose. If I‘m partying or taking another stim I don’t mix them. I don’t have withdraws on those days.

I only have limited experience with 2-FA some years ago and I recall it being more MDxx like. I can’t give you much advice when it comes to self medicating but I totally get it. I can’t say I wouldn’t/haven’t done it myself. Tell me more about the 2-FA, that’s Benzofury right? I was recently just telling a friend we should order some because its still uncontrolled lol

Hang in there and maybe try and get the two docs communicating and whatever the result just stay safe and try to remember whatever the doctor orders for you to have faith they’re doing it in your best interest. If you feel that’s not the case, find a new doctor,

in the meantime I’m always here to listen and hand out cheap advice that comes attached to lots of cliche disclaimers etc lmfao

Cheers!
Being independent was my main reason. Not even gonna argue with a dr.. Now is a stimulant luckily a medication you can abruptly stop. Not nice persee, but manageable.

Atm the only health insurance company that pay's for dextro-Amphetamine is the one i am with. But that could change any moment. Just as the supply could cease. Its made by a Magistic Preperator, basickly a drugstore that has its own lab and doc.

When methylAmine the precursor for making speed was no longer covered, by the insurance company's. He said this to me on the phone, "I am not dependent on that i make my own". But to keep client's getting there med's he had to dive through a legal loophole as Amfexa, brand name dex that no insurance cover's, entered the market. This was done by choosing doses of 2.5 and 7.5 mg as Amfexa only has 5 mg tab's.

But that sums it up, you don't want to be dependent on a med with this kinda terms.

Benzofury was a nickname for 6-APB. That one is certainly adviseable, the most flooring roll I ever witnessed was on that stuff.

2-FA to me feels a bit like dex-Amphetamin maybe more regular Amp like, ime not like an Serotinergic. The dextro isomer would probably even compare better. 3-FA seemed a somewhat dirtier stimulant. 4-FA was the one that has a very XTC like come up and then levels into a longlasting stim.

Last edited:
I use meth every day or every second day for a few weeks or a month and then stop for a few weeks or a month for balance.
So we get a high perf for a bit and a sober perf for a bit? That's neat. Can we the people tell? LoL

So we get a high perf for a bit and a sober perf for a bit? That's neat. Can we the people tell? LoL
I’ve only been called out for tweak-posting once or twice. But they were quite epic episodes that I’m not that proud of. I don’t know if people can tell. That’s what worries me. I write a lot of replies to threads when I’m high that I never post because I suspect they might be over the line.

In my experience people who like/love stimulants aren't ever going to be able to truly 'manage' moderation. They will fuck up at some point in the process, binge horribly, crash out miserably, then attempt to re-assert control by going sober for a while thinking they can reset and start over. Then they'll repeat the same cycle again, and again, and again. Until they finally give up and accept they can't really moderate something they like so much.

Try mindfulness if you want to enjoy the things you already do more, and meditation if you can't motivate yourself enough to get started. Also try accepting the fact that you're not designed to be giving 100% all the time. Our crapitalist society does make us feel we should, and we're surrounded by people attempting to 'win' and be productive and successful and all that kind of myopic one-dimensional mindless shite. But you're not put on earth to do anything except exist and hopefully enjoy doing so, so try to keep that in mind and scale back your ambitions.