• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Loneliness and the addict

I am in chronic pain 24/7 due to an accident in the military and I find it difficult to even contact friends anymore. I am alone by design. When I was properly prescribed a high enough dosage of pain medication, I was able to work and function. With this "War on Opioids", this is no longer the case. So I'd say there are definitely 2 sides to it. Without my addiction, I am too weak to move and alone. For those using recreationally, the pure bliss may cause the user to find peace in being alone. But in both cases; time passes. The friends who reached out to you for years no longer will. Family won't even bother. You become a victim of circumstance and on days you crave socialization it is nowhere to be found.

I am in chronic pain 24/7 due to an accident in the military and I find it difficult to even contact friends anymore. I am alone by design. When I was properly prescribed a high enough dosage of pain medication, I was able to work and function. With this "War on Opioids", this is no longer the case. So I'd say there are definitely 2 sides to it. Without my addiction, I am too weak to move and alone. For those using recreationally, the pure bliss may cause the user to find peace in being alone. But in both cases; time passes. The friends who reached out to you for years no longer will. Family won't even bother. You become a victim of circumstance and on days you crave socialization it is nowhere to be found.
There's always heroin. My heroine.

I sometimes feel incredibly empty and lonely. On those days I definitely take more pills than usual to make that go away. Sometimes I just cannot handle all of the mental agony I have and I'll just use until I pass out.

^^^ same with me. Sending you some love and a hug. ❤️
I am alone due to chronic pain, brain injury and disease.
I am not able to keep up. I get easily fatigued and just doing the basics in life (showering, housework, cooking) is about all I can do.
Just a phone conversation to a friend is exhausting for me. Others don’t understand and take it personally. Thinking I am just being rude or don’t like them or something.
Without the medication I wouldn’t even be able to do what I am doing now. So I am grateful for that.

^^^ same with me. Sending you some love and a hug. ❤
I am alone due to chronic pain, brain injury and disease.
I am not able to keep up. I get easily fatigued and just doing the basics in life (showering, housework, cooking) is about all I can do.
Just a phone conversation to a friend is exhausting for me. Others don’t understand and take it personally. Thinking I am just being rude or don’t like them or something.
Without the medication I wouldn’t even be able to do what I am doing now. So I am grateful for that.

If you ever feel alone or just want to talk please don't hesitate to message me! I know all too well about how limiting chronic pain can really be. I too get exhausted from the most mundane tasks and take 2-5 blazing hot showers a day to make my day a bit more bareable. And you are correct, I definitely am grateful I am given something for my pain it is just sad that this fake opioid war has limited true pain patients from getting the help we need. Sending my love and wishing you the best!

If you ever feel alone or just want to talk please don't hesitate to message me! I know all too well about how limiting chronic pain can really be. I too get exhausted from the most mundane tasks and take 2-5 blazing hot showers a day to make my day a bit more bareable. And you are correct, I definitely am grateful I am given something for my pain it is just sad that this fake opioid war has limited true pain patients from getting the help we need. Sending my love and wishing you the best!

Thank you! Please feel free to contact me also if you want or need to talk. Sounds like we are in the same boat.
So true about this stupid opioid war limiting true chronic pain patients from getting the help we need!
It is so frustrating!!

Very nice to meet you!
I hear what you are saying and it is so nice to meet someone who can relate. Sorry that you are suffering also.
Xo

^Also in chronic pain and sending love and hugs to all you guys suffering too.
I can't even imagine how awful it must be to be losing your pain meds. I'm so grateful we don't have the problem in the UK. Probably 95% of all opiate addicts here are either:
1) Heroin addicts
2) Former heroin addicts on Methadone or Subutex
3) Current heroin addicts also on Methadone or Subutex

There's only a small minority of us who are addicted to prescription opioids.

^Also in chronic pain and sending love and hugs to all you guys suffering too.
I can't even imagine how awful it must be to be losing your pain meds. I'm so grateful we don't have the problem in the UK. Probably 95% of all opiate addicts here are either:
1) Heroin addicts
2) Former heroin addicts on Methadone or Subutex
3) Current heroin addicts also on Methadone or Subutex

There's only a small minority of us who are addicted to prescription opioids.

In the US it is truly a terrible time to be a chronic pain patient. I was put on Suboxone for pain for 5 years! Before that, I was extremely well managed on Oxycontin 80mg 2x a day and Oxycodone 15mg 4x a day as needed for breakthru pain, but my doctor became weary of the DEA. Unfortunately there is now a 90MME guideline in effect which sadly doctors use as a definite rather than a guideline. (90mg of Morphine or an equivalent)

I am wishing you the best and am happy to hear in your country it is easier to get the medication you need to function! Pain and loneliness go hand in hand and I am thankful I have something to make my days easier and just pray that soon this idiotic "war" will end. Can't imagine how many genuine pain patients will die this year from street drugs they seek due to doctors failing them.

Thanks C.E! So sorry you are suffering with the dreaded chronic pain also.
Sending lots of love and hugs to you also!

The lawmakers and others who are making life SO hard and have no idea of the suffering they are causing can kiss my ass!!

Last edited:
It has been shown that people (and also animals) who have meaningful and well-established relationships have very low probability of being an addict.

Most of the times addiction is a fugue. All of us known very well this. People who have the certain conditions can use drugs for fun, but not lose their lives for drugs

Addiction thrives on isolation, have to expose it at every opportunity to kill it. I struggle with isolating myself too, and it never leads to happiness. Go to meetings, get a social hobby; that's what I've been trying

This going to meetings type deal had better be worth it. lol. I feel so tiny and insignificant posited against things such as drugs, or addiction. i just want to get a few things off my chest. I'm sick of supporting those who do not require my lenience. It doesn't sit well. Ritual needs to be stamped out for good or just plain forgone I'd say in order to triumph against the same old, same old. Sometimes I think it's easier just giving in. But it isn't, because it's being irresponsible. That's tough to palate over time. I don't want to stop caring so I seek alternatives to keep me focused on cutting back until I just don't think to go the less viable option. I don't want to count myself among the druggies. Derelicts. Drongos etc. no fun. lol

A mentor or quit buddy would be the best thing ever!!!!

I feel so alone, when I talk to people I feel like I can't be genuine. It's just too much to tell most people what I've been through, but it's my reality. Not that they really comprehend when I do tell them.
I don't get the same thoughts or feelings about things as other young people, or seemingly. I find a lot of their 'socializing' to be frivolous, youthful exuberance that doesn't have much substance in it. I find it really hard when they start to be condescending - I don't think its worth it to tell them I know what dying feels like. I like the deep and real stuff of life, and people aren't always so eager to jump in to that.

But do I tell people to give them a better idea of what I've been through? I'm doing a hell of a lot better now and have no desire go back to injecting or doing crazy things like I was, but I'm not sure I can really say I used to be an addict. I feel like they will use it against me.

I know I need to try more, to have regular meaningful relationships - it's the last thing in my recovery I still need to do. I could see how I could be very supportive and helpful to other people's lives, but I'm not so sure many people can really help me (I know that's probably not true, but it just seems that way). My senses just aren't like other young people's. The things that amuse them don't amuse me. I don't think I'm bad at expressing myself, one on one I can talk with most people, but on a day-to-day level, I'm not good at that, I don't spend my time on social media. I don't want to encourage what I see as bad behaviors (I'm unwilling to play along, but I also don't call it out), maybe I'm just being overly analytical and critical of them (finding flaws to cover my own insecurity). I just find it hard to tolerate some of them and I don't know how to develop a way of being that allows me to support them and be true to what I think and feel.

I'm on an exchange trip and I'm starting to feel the lack of support I have over here compared to back home, or just how alone I am without my family. I have 1 good friend, I just need to make more.
A large part of this is probably me justifying my social isolation. I don't want to be alone forever and I want to find connection, the state of my life seems like such a burden to put on others though.

I don't think its worth it to tell them I know what dying feels like.
fuuuuck did you hit that nail on the head, this is how i feel when trying to explain opiate wd to non-user friends

buuut at the same time, the few times ive been in wd they never had a problem bringing me to pickup shit or lend me cash if i didn't have it on-hand for the same purpose so i'll take what i can,things could be worse.

Do I get high because Im lonely? Or am I lonely because I get high?
i never felt alone till i had to put my dog down this past year, there are times when i feel 'lonely' at home and just pop somthing or smoke somthing and then all goes back to normal, but i'll go ahead with

get high because lonely

I have to totally agree with Zonx, isolation creates the desire to pacify. I'd encourage anyone who's curious to look up the Rat Park Experiments. Here's the rundown - rats in cages alone with cocaine-laced and plain water would drink themselves to death every single time. After accounting for setting, the researchers built him a real home. They repeated the expirement offering the blow to the rats, but this time around the rats were less likely to get blasted. Why? Well, Rat Park had more space than the standard cage, a wheel for exercise, friends and potential mates, and abundance of food. Who would need to get high with life providing a reliable natural comfort?

The loneliness of addiction is something that, at least for me, comes part and parcel with the maladjusted behaviors that constitute substance abuse. It's ironic, because many of us use to sate the pain of being lonely, but eventually, even dope can't numb you enough to not notice it. And then you find yourself alone and high. And not a pleasant kind of alone either. And perhaps "alone" doesn't constitute the whole story. In fact, one of the worst sensations of isolation come as a result of being around people, but unable to connect with them.

There have been some many times in the long ugly history of my struggle, where I have craved so desperately to reach out to someone who could understand and share my head space for a minute....or at least to find someone who would understand and wouldn't judge me. I am ashamed enough of what I am, and of my past.

People looking down on me for being in this situation don't help at all. I know I did this to myself. I know I made my choices and now I gotta lie in this godforsaken bed. I know the only way to get better is to go through the terribly uncomfortable process of learning how to function without a head change. And that's a topic that requires its own blog post.

Sadly, some of the most self righteous judgement I've ever encountered has come from fellow addicts. More than anything, I feel like we have a duty to love one another, to encourage one another, to celebrate our successes against this ball and chain, and at the same time to support each other when we fail. If we don't do that for each other, surely no one else will. The sober world, at best, does not understand our journey, however empathetic they may be, and at worse, they openly condemn us. I've even heard such Maoist nonsense from people that all addicts should be shot. If we, as a people, pride ourselves on being enlightened and rational, if we claim to be repulsed by barbarism and brutality, than a solution such as certain death for the addict has no place in our world. Indeed, were we to enforce such a policy, we would find ourselves in a Holocaust of our own making, with such behavior making us no better than the Nazis.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, that if addicts can't rely on each other for support and understanding, then who can we rely on? Certainly not the world at large.

Everyone experiences loneliness at times. It is part of the human condition. But the deep pit of despair which comes about as a natural consequence of altering the brain's chemistry by way of drug abuse, I would argue is worse than run if the mill loneliness and depression. This is only conjecture, based on basic tenets of pathophysiology and pharmacology, because I actually do not know what it is like to be anything other than what I am. I have never been clean long enough even begin to attempt to normalize my brain chemistry, and I have used for the better part of thirty years, pregnancies and lactations aside. But even though I am not qualified to speak from experience from both sides of the fence, it just seems to make sense from a biological perspective that the lows would be as deep as the highs. That is, after all, what keeps us hooked.

Anyhow, I have passed another night alone. But it doesn't matter that I'm alone, cause often I feel that way anyway, despite who's around. Writing this our has helped temper my mood and ground me in a powerful way. If by some slim chance, my writing found an audience, I can only pray that it was logical, coherent, and didn't bore you to tears. Thanks for listening.

À bientôt...

I thought you wrote with a high degree of clarity and articulated your observations of the life of a highly intelligent addict.

I was like this for many years and felt the same,observed the same,but then found myself through shamanic practices and an awakening of the spirit. Now I never feel alone,don't get me wrong,lifes not perfect. I'm not skipping through fields of gold,there's still much healing to do. Loneliness is a state of mind that manifests into a state of being through pain that we hold onto,guilt that we carry for past transgressions poisons the soul.

Let go of that which you're not,for we are all creations of love,its finding that again that transforms and brings in the light. Like attracts like and the more you believe in your loneliness the more it manifests until you're in a self perpetuating cycle of pain and suffering. Be the friend you've always wanted,be kind and loving to yourself as you would to a lover,nurture yourself into being.

I used to sit alone...I still do,but I accept that I'm with myself and have found peace,everything else is a bonus and part of the journey. I wish you well and hope you awaken to your full potential.

Peace and love,shine on.

What would the "rat park" experiment look like applied to humans? What would the human equivalent be of a bigger cage, a wheel and a female rat to screw, and how would that address feelings of disconnected loneliness and existential pain that one can still feel even if surrounded by other people?

That was one of the things that people found outrageous about the "opiate epidemic" in the modern era, that opiate abuse was now becoming a phenomenon among white, middle-class people from the 'burbs. A lot of these people grew up in stable families, with all of their basic material needs accounted for...these weren't people who grew up poor in some inner-city ghetto...and yet, with all that love and support, they STILL turned to drugs!

It's a complicated issue for me because I actually generally agree with the basic premise behind "rat park" (i.e. in a situation in which someone has their basic needs cared for, they're less likely to turn to drug abuse...the general influence of situational factors on drug abuse, etc), and I'm strongly in favor of ending the drug war, and re-directing efforts towards viewing drug abuse as a public health issue with an emphasis on HR, the whole deal...I just feel like it gets brought up sometimes as a neat answer to a problem which isn't so neat.