• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Loneliness and the addict

ijbeas73

Greenlighter
The loneliness of addiction is something that, at least for me, comes part and parcel with the maladjusted behaviors that constitute substance abuse. It's ironic, because many of us use to sate the pain of being lonely, but eventually, even dope can't numb you enough to not notice it. And then you find yourself alone and high. And not a pleasant kind of alone either. And perhaps "alone" doesn't constitute the whole story. In fact, one of the worst sensations of isolation come as a result of being around people, but unable to connect with them.

There have been some many times in the long ugly history of my struggle, where I have craved so desperately to reach out to someone who could understand and share my head space for a minute....or at least to find someone who would understand and wouldn't judge me. I am ashamed enough of what I am, and of my past.

People looking down on me for being in this situation don't help at all. I know I did this to myself. I know I made my choices and now I gotta lie in this godforsaken bed. I know the only way to get better is to go through the terribly uncomfortable process of learning how to function without a head change. And that's a topic that requires its own blog post.

Sadly, some of the most self righteous judgement I've ever encountered has come from fellow addicts. More than anything, I feel like we have a duty to love one another, to encourage one another, to celebrate our successes against this ball and chain, and at the same time to support each other when we fail.  If we don't do that for each other, surely no one else will. The sober world, at best, does not understand our journey, however empathetic they may be, and at worse, they openly condemn us. I've even heard such Maoist nonsense from people that all addicts should be shot. If we, as a people, pride ourselves on being enlightened and rational, if we claim to be repulsed by barbarism and brutality, than a solution such as certain death for the addict has no place in our world. Indeed, were we to enforce such a policy, we would find ourselves in a Holocaust of our own making, with such behavior making us no better than the Nazis.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, that if addicts can't rely on each other for support and understanding, then who can we rely on? Certainly not the world at large.

Everyone experiences loneliness at times. It is part of the human condition. But the deep pit of despair which comes about as a natural consequence of altering the brain's chemistry by way of drug abuse, I would argue is worse than run if the mill loneliness and depression. This is only conjecture, based on basic tenets of pathophysiology and pharmacology, because I actually do not know what it is like to be anything other than what I am. I have never been clean long enough even begin to attempt to normalize my brain chemistry, and I have used for the better part of thirty years, pregnancies and lactations aside.  But even though I am not qualified to speak from experience from both sides of the fence, it just seems to make sense from a biological perspective that the lows would be as deep as the highs. That is, after all, what keeps us hooked.

Anyhow, I have passed another night alone. But it doesn't matter that I'm alone, cause often I feel that way anyway, despite who's around. Writing this our has helped temper my mood and ground me in a powerful way. If by some slim chance, my writing found an audience, I can only pray that it was logical, coherent, and didn't bore you to tears. Thanks for listening.

À bientôt...

The loneliness of addiction is something that, at least for me, comes part and parcel with the maladjusted behaviors that constitute substance abuse. It's ironic, because many of us use to sate the pain of being lonely, but eventually, even dope can't numb you enough to not notice it. And then you find yourself alone and high. And not a pleasant kind of alone either. And perhaps "alone" doesn't constitute the whole story. In fact, one of the worst sensations of isolation come as a result of being around people, but unable to connect with them.

There have been some many times in the long ugly history of my struggle, where I have craved so desperately to reach out to someone who could understand and share my head space for a minute....or at least to find someone who would understand and wouldn't judge me. I am ashamed enough of what I am, and of my past.

People looking down on me for being in this situation don't help at all. I know I did this to myself. I know I made my choices and now I gotta lie in this godforsaken bed. I know the only way to get better is to go through the terribly uncomfortable process of learning how to function without a head change. And that's a topic that requires its own blog post.

Sadly, some of the most self righteous judgement I've ever encountered has come from fellow addicts. More than anything, I feel like we have a duty to love one another, to encourage one another, to celebrate our successes against this ball and chain, and at the same time to support each other when we fail.  If we don't do that for each other, surely no one else will. The sober world, at best, does not understand our journey, however empathetic they may be, and at worse, they openly condemn us. I've even heard such Maoist nonsense from people that all addicts should be shot. If we, as a people, pride ourselves on being enlightened and rational, if we claim to be repulsed by barbarism and brutality, than a solution such as certain death for the addict has no place in our world. Indeed, were we to enforce such a policy, we would find ourselves in a Holocaust of our own making, with such behavior making us no better than the Nazis.

Anyway, I digress. My point is, that if addicts can't rely on each other for support and understanding, then who can we rely on? Certainly not the world at large.

Everyone experiences loneliness at times. It is part of the human condition. But the deep pit of despair which comes about as a natural consequence of altering the brain's chemistry by way of drug abuse, I would argue is worse than run if the mill loneliness and depression. This is only conjecture, based on basic tenets of pathophysiology and pharmacology, because I actually do not know what it is like to be anything other than what I am. I have never been clean long enough even begin to attempt to normalize my brain chemistry, and I have used for the better part of thirty years, pregnancies and lactations aside.  But even though I am not qualified to speak from experience from both sides of the fence, it just seems to make sense from a biological perspective that the lows would be as deep as the highs. That is, after all, what keeps us hooked.

Anyhow, I have passed another night alone. But it doesn't matter that I'm alone, cause often I feel that way anyway, despite who's around. Writing this our has helped temper my mood and ground me in a powerful way. If by some slim chance, my writing found an audience, I can only pray that it was logical, coherent, and didn't bore you to tears. Thanks for listening.

À bientôt...

Not boring at all! You describe isolation and loneliness very well. The stigma of drug use cuts very deep but it's just one of many that we humans seem to fling around at each other in desperation to prove we are OK (meanwhile, never believing it). Mental illness, ethnicity, skin color, worldviews, the list goes on and on. It's hard not to despair at the level we can sink to in order to wall ourselves apart from others and define some mythical small group of superior people that we might see ourselves belonging to. But the most frustrating of all is that it ends up reinforcing the loneliness that drives the divisions in the first place!

I think one of the hardest things in life in general is coming to terms with loneliness. And we live in a world where loneliness is an epidemic. People are splitting into smaller and smaller tribes, smaller and smaller factions. Everyone wants to be understood, to be heard and seen as their truest selves--but do we even know who that is anymore? I spent so many chaotic years running from that deep loneliness and at a certain point that old phrase, "I met the enemy and it was me" started to ring true. I made it my mission to try to understand myself and accept myself rather than focusing on my need to have others accept and understand me. It was a turning point, not an immediate cure for loneliness by any means; but it set me off in a new direction and life did not chafe so much.

I'm glad you wrote what you did. It needs talking about. I often find writing about the painful aspects of my life to be more therapeutic than anything else. Sometimes the pen leads you to unexpected places.<3

I could of written that entire post. Right around 6-7pm I get the feeling...that's when I'm most likely to hit a bar or do drugs. Gotta escape the pain..

I can totally relate. Actually right now my wife and step-daughter are on a week long cruise. I'm at home alone with the kitties, and thank God for them. I do work, so it's not all by myself every waking minute, but aside from the work time, it can get pretty darn lonely. The other thing is that the house gets so quiet it's scary. Yep, I pretty much hate it but before long the week will be up. Just thought I'd share. Thanks for that.

Why couldn't you go with them? Work schedule? Health issues? Just curious. I certainly would have liked to have gone, were I in your shoes, but sometimes obligations get in the way and won't allow it.

Why couldn't you go with them? Work schedule? Health issues? Just curious. I certainly would have liked to have gone, were I in your shoes, but sometimes obligations get in the way and won't allow it.

I'm going on one later this year but it'stoo much time off right now.

I just wanted to thank you for such a beautiful, expressive, thoughtful and well written post. This is something I also feel and have tried to express many times but I just did not have the words. How do you explain that you feel more lonely with others around whom are judge mental? You managed to do this with such skill. What an artistic delivery my sister. I do understand well.

If only we could greet one another with open arms and unconditional love. We would make Earth a new Heaven wouldn't we?

I have the power to change myself and I choose to understand others, to listen, to love one another. Unconditionally.
I am here for anyone who needs me.

This thread is exactly what BL community is about. Harm Reduction also means applying a salve of love and inclusion, over that alienation so many of us feel.

I wonder sometimes how many of us with substance use disorders, are the "black.sheep " in our family? That's extra isolating --- being the sole person in the group who suffers from dependency / addiction and having no body to really talk to about it.

So many facets go into isolation :

--- being the Only Person Who _________ (be that suffers addiction, or another physical or mental illness

---depression / anxiety
---losses we've suffered or survived
----physical distance from "home" or a place we would feel comfortable.
----conflicts within family dynamics or our social circles
---inability to effectively communicate
----lack of resources / help available
----probably 100 other things

I love the BL community because I'm able to discuss things here , that which seem not to have a Place in my real life.
Keep.posting!
Perhaps like myself, you'll come to feel Less Lonely.

I just wanted to thank you for such a beautiful, expressive, thoughtful and well written post. This is something I also feel and have tried to express many times but I just did not have the words. How do you explain that you feel more lonely with others around whom are judge mental? You managed to do this with such skill. What an artistic delivery my sister. I do understand well.

If only we could greet one another with open arms and unconditional love. We would make Earth a new Heaven wouldn't we?

I have the power to change myself and I choose to understand others, to listen, to love one another. Unconditionally.
A new heaven and a new earth...we have been promised this in proficy, but waiting is painful nonetheless. Some of us need this sooner, rather than later.

I need u girl. I'm a mental wreck these last few days. I hope u are still around, somewhere.

I just read this post for the first time. Beautiful and so correct. <3 All I can say is, you're not alone. The struggle is real, and the fact that it's a struggle for us does not mean we are any less than anyone else.

I just read this post for the first time. Beautiful and so correct. <3 All I can say is, you're not alone. The struggle is real, and the fact that it's a struggle for us does not mean we are any less than anyone else.
Saj9hqf.jpg

I need u girl. I'm a mental wreck these last few days. I hope u are still around, somewhere.

I’m here. Anytime you need me.
(My health willing- I go missing in action a lot due to severe health issues but I will respond as soon as I am able)
Sending you a huge hug!

isolation can be a blessing somtimes
somtimes when you can't get away it's tough, i don't think anything should be taken for granted :)

What I really can't stand is being surrounded by many people but feeling as if I'm alone. I hate that we have to present ourselves different than what we are and this isn't valid only for people who use substances.

What I really can't stand is being surrounded by many people but feeling as if I'm alone. I hate that we have to present ourselves different than what we are and this isn't valid only for people who use substances.
You gotta meet people who accept you for who you are, I have friends studying to become police officers and they don't mind if I smoke crack in their car, you'll get that feel if you're hiding your true self a goal should 'be to never hide one self, I tend to think along the lines, if they don't accept you fuck em and believe it or not it may or may not work for you, but i have drug friends and friends that don't touch em and some that never have, but I have zero problems being real with them and they respect me for that they do sometimes check in on me to make sure I'm good which I hate but whatever
Be real with people and things'll work themselves out
But again, sometimes you wana be alone and that's completely fine! If you don't wana go out don't you ont need to make excuses, just say not today

In addictions, we spend time with our drug of choice. We live in function of it, it dominates our dreams, thoughts, actions, body, soul, it dominates everything. There is nothing left. We forget our loved ones, we disappear from ordinary activities, nothing gives pleasure anymore. These are the triggers for loneliness

Sadly, some of the most self righteous judgement I've ever encountered has come from fellow addicts. More than anything, I feel like we have a duty to love one another, to encourage one another, to celebrate our successes against this ball and chain, and at the same time to support each other when we fail. If we don't do that for each other, surely no one else will. The sober world, at best, does not understand our journey, however empathetic they may be, and at worse, they openly condemn us. I've even heard such Maoist nonsense from people that all addicts should be shot. If we, as a people, pride ourselves on being enlightened and rational, if we claim to be repulsed by barbarism and brutality, than a solution such as certain death for the addict has no place in our world. Indeed, were we to enforce such a policy, we would find ourselves in a Holocaust of our own making, with such behavior making us no better than the Nazis.

Everyone experiences loneliness at times. It is part of the human condition. But the deep pit of despair which comes about as a natural consequence of altering the brain's chemistry by way of drug abuse, I would argue is worse than run if the mill loneliness and depression. This is only conjecture, based on basic tenets of pathophysiology and pharmacology, because I actually do not know what it is like to be anything other than what I am. I have never been clean long enough even begin to attempt to normalize my brain chemistry, and I have used for the better part of thirty years, pregnancies and lactations aside. But even though I am not qualified to speak from experience from both sides of the fence, it just seems to make sense from a biological perspective that the lows would be as deep as the highs. That is, after all, what keeps us hooked.

À bientôt...
Greatly written. I am right there with you.

Do I get high because Im lonely? Or am I lonely because I get high?