Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

List of Nbome deaths

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/2ci_nbome/2ci_nbome_death.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/2cc_nbome/2cc_nbome_death.shtml
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nbome/nbome_death.shtml
And this one not on there yet
http://www.londoncommunitynews.com/news-story/4058628-police-say-teen-overdosed-from-lsd-like-drug/

I only made this thread to alert people there have been quite a few nbome deaths that have not filtered down to these pages. You should judge for yourself if this compound is worth the risk, at least two deaths have been after taking two blotters of unknown dosage. Based on the information provided it's pretty much impossible to know how much any of these people took either. Maybe you are comfortable with they all took way too much and you know what you are doing. There is at least one person who snorted a line.
I am just sick of seeing nbome fatalities and hope people stay safe. I don't want to preach just spreading information. And at least two of those people thought they were taking LSD so that effects me (and possibly you too). Nbomes have started showing up in my community sold as acid to very young people despite there being a decent amount of real LSD around here. The low price and naïve consumers are just like the fake XTC pill market which still seems to be thriving. And if someone fucked up that blotter and there are 5 mg on it you just don't know. No way to test how much nbome is on a blotter you need to trust some sketchy vendor, or do it yourself and be sure you are doing it right.
PS there seem to be a lot of "I ended up in the hospital" trip reports for this stuff too....

Last edited:
How f-ing horrible is it to loose your wife AND be charged with murder.. I can't wrap my head around that. Why w/should you charge him with murder?

Yeah I completely agree Psynami, it's actually disgusting when you really think about it.

How many pharmaceutical overdoses a year? I don't see anyone in the medical community getting arrested anywhere... There is NO difference between the two really.

An awful lot of those deaths seem to be in the category of "alleged in the media" deaths. Remember mephedrone was blamed for the deaths of countless people - almost all of those without exception turned out to be 1) a different drug entirely such as "methadone", 2) the user was in terrible condition with a heart problem and/or 3) he'd taken half a dozen other drugs on top of the mephedrone.

By all means take care but I'd take all "media reported drug deaths" with an enormous, nay gigantic, pinch of salt.

I especially don't like the one where they "put a drop into his nose and he immediately started babbling incoherently". Cyanide doesn't act that quick, never mind Nbome.

^Totally true, Is, hadn't thought of that ATM!
How f-ing horrible is it to loose your wife AND be charged with murder.. I can't wrap my head around that. Why w/should you charge him with murder?
Well its because adults want to have no personal responsibility and they don't want to think of their significant others as "users", so instead they pretend the substance over ran them and turned them into some debauched renegade....because they don't want to think about the fact that they were a debauched renegade from the start, irresponsible in most cases as well. Its a defense mechanism called deflection....

HST was far to right when he said "Buy the ticket, take the ride!", besides its not like were blaming the Texas Giant for killing that women in TX, maybe we should put it to death....?!? Hey though, force a chemical down your throat and bam its the chemicals fault that you died, not yours for shoving it down your obese throat in the first place, I mean why isn't it the Texas Giant's fault?!?;)

I so much wanted to try 25I-NBOMe, but tbh i'm scared because of all those deaths reported...

Yeah I completely agree Psynami, it's actually disgusting when you really think about it.

How many pharmaceutical overdoses a year? I don't see anyone in the medical community getting arrested anywhere... There is NO difference between the two really.

In the US there have been a lot of doctors being arrested for deaths due to meds they have prescribed.

I get so much cognitive dissonance reading all of these reports, when I've had almost 30 NBOMe trips myself and always had relatively little bodyload compared to 2C-Xs and many other things I've tried. But then I'm measuring out my doses myself and am not relying on sketchy blotter or vials made by some stranger who may or may not know how to do basic arithmetic.

There's an article in The Atlantic from two days ago, "What Witchcraft is Facebook?", about recent outbreaks of mass psychogenic illnesses. I wonder the degree to which some of the same mechanisms are at play here with the reputation NBOMes are garnering among many of us.

Last edited:
zn13bt, I don't think dying classifies as a "psychogenic illness" ;)

I only tried 25I once, and I really liked it as a recreational psychedelic. What I don't like about it though is the huge tolerance it causes. I find that rather sketchy. that and the deaths.......

^ Yeah not so much the actual deaths (which may or may not be caused by NBOMes) as the rumors about them and how they may affect perception of bodyload while on it.

One of the reports indicates a bag found in a dead boy's pocket and a bag taken from the dealer he purchased it from as "mushroom extract" that was labeled 25i-NBOMe were both later confirmed to contain 25i by a forensic scientist. This powder was reportedly mixed with chocolate and eaten. I don't know how many milligrams the guy who died consumed from the bag, but if this is all accurate it seems to indicate in high enough doses 25i is orally active.

Also potentially revealing, the list of physiological symptoms reported preceding the deaths in these NBOMe overdoses (hyperthermia, seizures, unconsciousness) does not include signs of severe vasoconstriction as with the bromo-dragonfly cases. I believe both 25i and bromo-dragonfly are considered to be highly potent selective full agonists at the 5HT2 set of receptor subtypes, with bromo-dragonfly being doubly potent or more at 2b and 2c relative to 2a. As far as my amateur reading can discern, 2a and 2b are associated with vasoconstrictive effects and 2c is partially associated with peripheral release of vasopressin -- though that hormone is only supposed to induce moderate vasoconstriction even at high concentrations (which would seem to mostly disqualify 2c activity as the culprit in severe vasoconstriction).

I started a thread in ADD awhile back inquiring into whether this sort of selective agonism, if powerful enough, might cause symptoms that could lead to death, presuming it was chiefly severe vasoconstriction that was the most lethal symptom. By the end, the discussion was leaning towards an answer of "maybe," with 2a the suspected culprit, or perhaps 2b if bromo-dragonfly effected a different but undefined transduction pathway than 5 and 6-APB, since both of those are full agonists at 2b yet high doses don't reportedly cause bromo-dragonfly's severe sort of vasoconstrictive symptoms (there could be a different transduction pathway at 2a too, I suppose). The other suggested potential physiological cause of death in both the bromo-dragonfly and NBOMe deaths was status epilepticus -- a continuous seizure lasting more than five minutes (I assume such prolonged chaotic activity can cause death by numerous different mechanisms depending on where in the brain is being disrupted). Figuring out what's going on here could presumably lead to emergency interventions (not sure what's being used for NBOMe overdoses currently or if it addresses the potential mechanisms of their lethality).

Of course, I'm basing all this on my own limited knowledge and what's been reported in these media stories, which don't include much detail. But it seems like the NBOMes and bromo-dragonfly differ in their physiological effects in powerful ways despite seemingly similar selectivities and potencies, or that one or both of them are powerfully active somewhere unknown outside of the 5HT2 receptor set that wasn't screened for. Also, does anybody know anything more about the hyperthermic effects of NBOMes and just how dangerous they are in reported NBOMe overdoses? I didn't see mention of hyperthermia in the bromo-dragonfly overdose cases, which seems to indicate yet another medically relevant discrepancy between what appear on the surface to be similar psychedelics.

Last edited:
One of the reports indicates a bag found in a dead boy's pocket and a bag taken from the dealer he purchased it from as "mushroom extract" that was labeled 25i-NBOMe were both later confirmed to contain 25i by a forensic scientist.

Well sort of, it says: "Forensic scientist Amy Granlund identified that the psychedelic substance was indeed “25i-NBMOe,” otherwise known as 2C-I".

When the forensic scientist can't tell the difference between 25i-nbome and 2c-i you've got to start suspecting the story a bit.

I don't know how many milligrams the guy who died consumed from the bag, but if this is all accurate it seems to indicate in high enough doses 25i is orally active.

Would that mean it was orally active psood? If the guy was so stupid he's eaten grams and grams of it thinking it was "mushrooms" then perhaps he's just poisoned himself? Maybe you don't get any psychoactivity you just die.

^I'm assuming the only way a forensic scientist tasked with identifying a mysterious chemical is going to go about it is to do GC/MS, NMR. I don't know how you'd conclude 2C-i from those results. I'm thinking that the reporter thought "25i-NBOMe" looked too much like alphabet soup and was looking for a more common name parents might overhear, and somewhere along the line they ultimately conflated it with 25i. As for the amount of 25i is concerned, it was sold as "mushroom extract," not mushrooms, and who knows how much the dealer said to use? Grams and grams of 25i would presumably be very expensive, and I doubt a 17 year old kid dumped hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of goods into some chocolate for a single dose. Granted, by that same rationale you would not think whatever amount was purchased and used to approximate one dose (maybe the amount of the total purchased that was about equivalent in price to the price paid for an eighth of mushrooms?) would be enough of a compound supposedly totally inactive at anywhere near insufflated doses to kill orally either, but I don't know that that's ever been seriously investigated. In my thread in ADD linked to above I asked for links to any journal articles or letters to the editor of said journals where doctors will occasionally write in to describe novel or unusual medical events they've dealt with, such as I imagine NBOMe cases might inspire, in an attempt to get more detailed descriptions, but nobody had anything.

Maybe you don't get any psychoactivity you just die.
-------
I agree that lack of effects when orally taken doesnt mean you wont die from it. That could be why this person died from an Nbome pill:

"In July 2012, 25-year-old Stephanie Chappell Hobson died in North Carolina, USA, reportedly after consuming 25I-NBOMe with her boyfriend. The material was in "pill" form, so dosage is unknown. However analysis of the pills suposedly found that they did contain "25i"

People were ending up in hospital after swallowing nbome pills in Adelaide:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ning-in-two-days/story-fni6uo1m-1226688122597

Well when 25i is taken orally it is turned into 2c-I in your stomach so if he took 30mg or something ridiculous id imagine that he would get high and perhaps a small amount still gets absorbed as 25i.
But yes that misinformed forensic scientist is a great deal for concern.
When a fucking scientist can't tell the obvious difference between two obviously different compounds how can we possibly hope for any truth in most of these cases.

Screw this drug it should be outlawed. I think its obvious from these reports that its dangerous and people claiming otherwise are just selfishly denying that.

Screw this drug it should be outlawed. I think its obvious from these reports that its dangerous and people claiming otherwise are just selfishly denying that.

Simmer down nintey, the reason we're in this fucking mess in the first place is because mushrooms done been outlawed y'dig? We need another drug banning like we need a fucking bag on our hip.

@Ismene I understand what your saying but potential death is not a tolerable side effect when considering drugs to take, regardless of legal status. I would rather illegally source mushrooms than take a drug that might kill me, not to mention 4-aco-dmt is available and legal which is more or less like mushrooms.

Just cause something is legal and source-able does not make it safe.