Please read before posting:
    Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • CEPS Moderators: cduggles | Deru | mal3volent
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Lincoln, Civil War & Slavery

JGrimez

Temporary Ban
Lincoln didn't free the slaves, that's not what Emancipation Proclamation did. Lincoln was dead before the 13th amendment was ratified.
Reading Lincoln's quotes today would be flagged as hate speech by Youtube.
He was more of a white separatist than a civil rights hero. He and his cabinet wanted to send blacks to South America.

In 1860 the Corwin Amendment would have made slavery constitutional and permanent — and Lincoln supported it.
It was offered to every Southern governor and they all rejected it.

In 1864 in the final year of the Civil War, with no Southern states present, just the Northern congress and senate attempted to pass an amendment through Congress - which ended up being the 13th Amendment - and it failed.
Congress said no.
So that means that Yankee states, supposedly fighting to end slavery, shot down the Amendment that would end slavery - in the middle of the Civil War.
The Northern Congress exclusively, no Southern states.
They didn't want slaves coming up north because they didn't want to live with them.

It finally passed later because they shot and killed Lincoln so it was a reaction to that, pushing through what he wanted. But the motivation wasn't altruism to blacks.
There were some abolitionists but the majority felt like they had a stranglehold on the South with tariffs so if they got rid of slaves too they'd really cripple them economically, so that they'll be completely dependent on northern industry.

The top 2 generals for the South, Lee and Johnson adamantly opposed slavery. General Sherman supported genocide of white southerners and American Indians (and he did genocide Indians).

Discuss,

wudbutcher

Bluelighter
Lincoln didn't free the slaves, that's not what Emancipation Proclamation did. Lincoln was dead before the 13th amendment was ratified.
Reading Lincoln's quotes today would be flagged as hate speech by Youtube.
He was more of a white separatist than a civil rights hero. He and his cabinet wanted to send blacks to South America.

In 1860 the Corwin Amendment would have made slavery constitutional and permanent — and Lincoln supported it.
It was offered to every Southern governor and they all rejected it.

In 1864 in the final year of the Civil War, with no Southern states present, just the Northern congress and senate attempted to pass an amendment through Congress - which ended up being the 13th Amendment - and it failed.
Congress said no.
So that means that Yankee states, supposedly fighting to end slavery, shot down the Amendment that would end slavery - in the middle of the Civil War.
The Northern Congress exclusively, no Southern states.
They didn't want slaves coming up north because they didn't want to live with them.

It finally passed later because they shot and killed Lincoln so it was a reaction to that, pushing through what he wanted. But the motivation wasn't altruism to blacks.
There were some abolitionists but the majority felt like they had a stranglehold on the South with tariffs so if they got rid of slaves too they'd really cripple them economically, so that they'll be completely dependent on northern industry.

The top 2 generals for the South, Lee and Johnson adamantly opposed slavery. General Sherman supported genocide of white southerners and American Indians (and he did genocide Indians).

Discuss,
Too much for most these closed minded fucks. They would rather just jump on the blindness bandwagon.
Most agree US involvement in Vietnam was a mistake. Next we be tearing down those monuments.

The Axe

Bluelighter
Sherman was the best of the generals fighting the Civil War because his troops were a completely mechanized, organized, and supplied killing machine. His army could not be stopped and Lee capitulated. Also, it's well known American public policy in the 19th century was to secure the territory of what we now know as the lower 48 states, for the United States, including by means of war with Mexico and Native Americans.

JGrimez

Temporary Ban
"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."

-Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858 (The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)