• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

'life long self medication'

nitro22

Bluelighter
"Life long self-medication" was mentioned by one of our fellow blue lighters in another thread, and i wanted to raise some discussion about this issue.
What do you guys think are safe substances and combinations, and at what doseges or intervals, so that neurotoxicity or other bodily damages are avoided.
thx

if you are a ciggarette smoker then smoking weed can actually help you to live longer.... the tar in cigs makes clumps in your lungs so you get maximum nicotine and constricting your blood vessels, marijuana smoke causes the blood vessels to open up and it releases the tar from your lungs... interesting stuff
Peace!
------------------
"A thousand mile journey starts with one footstep"

OPIATE use is pretty much noted for being a VERY SAFE way of "self medicating"...there are very few, MINOR side effects...the biggest is ADDICTION, which isnt a detriment to HEALTH..

Opiates can be taken for the durration of ones life with no negetive effects, hell, they might even work better anti-d's then these SSRI's and whatnot - we don't know as some many of these prozac-esq drugs are in their infancy ..
Amphetamines can also be taken with no ill effects, however you must be VERY CAREFULL in how you manage this, as psychosis can set in and you would never know it...
Marijuana? Sorry, you're SMOKING the drug, and that WILL cause problems. Period.
I am interested to hears what others say, but please back up your logic with some reason..
------------------
PACK.MY.BEAK

You don't HAVE to smoke pot. Brownies are great, I think the high is better and there are good vaporizers that are available. Some studies show that pot smokers live 2 years longer than their non using counterparts. It's probably bullshit but...
------------------
Ignorance will fall, wisdom will prevail.

Marijuana - only by using a vaporizer....no harm done
smile.gif

Can I ask that people PLEASE post their source for this information. It so suspicious when someone says "yeah, smoking lotsa crack negates the dopy effects of pot blah blah blah"
This thread could easily go from a great resource, to a cauldren of myth and disinformation otherwise.

Ok... before we get caried away:
THC, even in medical grade pill form causes certain types of mental dysfunction in the form mild psychosis. Althogh this is reversable, the extended duration of the substance in the body (30 to 45 days) makes the symptoms last as well. There are numerous studies that show this, and from personal experience, weed made me weird big time.
Moving on... Methamphetamine, in part, menifests neurotoxicity similar to that of MDMA. Aside from its effects on the dopamine system, the seratonin system is effected. And as we all know, fucking with your seratonin system is a BIG nono, especialy if we are talking about 'life long self medication'. This of course is aside the extreemly harsh experience of malnurishment and sleep deprevation.
There are many more 'bad drugs' out there, but i rather mention the onse with a potential, in my humble openion.
First of all, before any drug is discussed, it must be understood that the individual is in complete control of his or her mental addiction, and there for in control of their physical addiction. In other words, they can bring themselfs in and out of periouds of use as needed.
Secondly, and this is probably the biggest point of disagreement, I believe that recreational self medication can only be healthy if used sparingly.
So whith that in mind, GHB would be rather safe, as no neurotoxisity or other damage is coused. The problem, however, is street GHB, which always has presence of one of its precursors, due to 'home lab' conditions. So if you have access to pure GHB, like the type sold overseas, then you shold be ok. Otherwise, you are probably taking something way too nasty.
Opiates....several facors dictate its safety: of course administration, addiction, and i think most impotantly, moderation. This brings us to my question which i have been trying to answer for a long time. What is a good opiate regiment so that its use remains safe. If anyone has any ideas on this, please share.
thx
[This message has been edited by nitro22 (edited 26 June 2001).]

Yeah lets not get carried away.
"THC, even in medical grade pill form causes certain types of mental dysfunction in the form mild psychosis. Althogh this is reversable, the extended duration of the substance in the body (30 to 45 days) makes the symptoms last as well. There are numerous studies that show this, and from personal experience, weed made me weird big time."
Certainly psychosis is a potential side effect, but a rare one. You are much more likely to experience psychosis from taking speed, coke or E.
"Moving on... Methamphetamine, in part, menifests neurotoxicity similar to that of MDMA. Aside from its effects on the dopamine system, the seratonin system is effected. And as we all know, fucking with your seratonin system is a BIG nono, especialy if we are talking about 'life long self medication'. This of course is aside the extreemly harsh experience of malnurishment and sleep deprevation."
Acutally methamphetamine is neurotoxic (in animals) to dopaminergic neurons while MDMA kills (in animals) serotongergic neurons. Also, serotonin is the key neurotransmitter in regulating mood.

I doubt that street GHB is all that impure. If the pH is close to neutral, then it's probably all straight-chain NaGHB, and I don't think much lactone would remain. One of the synth faq's on erowid has an analysis that shows there's only a very small amount of lactone, and even that could probably be improved.
Both methamphetamine and MDMA neurotoxicity are thought to have similar mechanisms: oxidative damage to neurons caused by drug metabolites and covalent modifications (irreversible inhibition) of enzymes in the serotonin (5-HT) and dopamine (DA)pathways. I personally believe that the latter is cheating; observing lower levels of 5-HT and DA because the subject isn't capable of synthesizing them fast enough is not an indicator of permanent neurotoxicity because the enzymes are replaced.
the doses of MDMA used in the neurotoxic regimen are relatively small and spaced over several days. the meth doses used are relatively large (generally 10-40 mg/kg, although some are lower) and always seem to be injected every two hours at least four times. although it is true that the human brain requires smaller amounts of a drug for toxicity than the rat, i wouldn't necessarily say that humans are reaching the neurotoxic range, because (for example) a point of meth is less than 1.5 mg/kg for me, and i'm not going to be *injecting* that much every two hours (especially considering that street meth is nowhere near pure, although the impurities are more cuts than chemical byproducts).
fundamentally the thing here is that MDMA is just begging to be oxidized into something toxic, while methamphetamine at least requires some aromatic substitution to become a free radical.

all i have to say is already noted in my signature....
------------------
~~if we are what we eat, then what is to be said of what we choose to listen to...?~~
"To say of an addict who is in a continual state of euphoria that he is degrading himself is like saying of marble that it is spoilt by Michaelangelo, of canvas that it is stained by Raphael, of paper that it is soiled by Shakespeare, of silence that it is broken by Bach."
~Jean Cocteau, Opium: Diary of a Cure~