• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Blog Life is Hard

I know I'll be fine but my mind has the zoomies with all the what ifs

I know it sounds ridiculous but I am so fucking freaked out by being alon

It's totally normal and in no way ridiculous, not in the slightest. Please, if you can, try to stop framing your response like this.

With bona-fide trauma response, which is what you're suffering from, there's a tiny part of the deep deep brain (lets call it spot x) that 'thinks' you're in mortal danger everytime you get triggered. There's no bargaining with spot x, no application of logic will affect spot x.

I've had a little look at the timeline here and your traumatic event was relatively recent. Because it's so fresh it may be more accurate to call your condition TS (Traumatic stress, without the post or disorder). Your brain is trying to keep you from danger. It's doing what is is designed to do, although that isn't much consolation to you I'm sure

If the symptoms last, say, over six months....then the traumatic memory is stuck in the "flight-or-fight" centre, it hasn't been processed so it can move to the normal "long term memory bank" where you could access the memory without the massive anxiety just as you could with any other memory - that is when it becomes "Post-traumatic" and becomes a major issue (not in any way demeaning your present experience)

Clearly, one of your triggers is being alone. Your brain won't let you (yet) trust your own logic that you are in fact safe. Write down "I am safe - my brain is trying to help me but it's got overprotective" and leave these messages all over the house.

I'd be extremely wary about benzo use for fresh trauma. The odd xanax or whatever when it's intolerable for sure, but anything over and above that is just creating more problems as I'm sure you're well aware.

While waiting for the brain to (hopefully) reprocess your memory, a daily (twice daily really) meditation practice is your very best bet. Mindfulness stylee....learning to identify what are thoughts and what are facts, and learning to not attach to our thinking but merely to observe it, and then to let it go. A regular meditation practice will also lower your baseline anxiety levels, meaning that any anxiety provoking situation will not be as difficult to navigate. <3 <3

It's totally normal and in no way ridiculous, not in the slightest. Please, if you can, try to stop framing your response like this.

With bona-fide trauma response, which is what you're suffering from, there's a tiny part of the deep deep brain (lets call it spot x) that 'thinks' you're in mortal danger everytime you get triggered. There's no bargaining with spot x, no application of logic will affect spot x.

I've had a little look at the timeline here and your traumatic event was relatively recent. Because it's so fresh it may be more accurate to call your condition TS (Traumatic stress, without the post or disorder). Your brain is trying to keep you from danger. It's doing what is is designed to do, although that isn't much consolation to you I'm sure

If the symptoms last, say, over six months....then the traumatic memory is stuck in the "flight-or-fight" centre, it hasn't been processed so it can move to the normal "long term memory bank" where you could access the memory without the massive anxiety just as you could with any other memory - that is when it becomes "Post-traumatic" and becomes a major issue (not in any way demeaning your present experience)

Clearly, one of your triggers is being alone. Your brain won't let you (yet) trust your own logic that you are in fact safe. Write down "I am safe - my brain is trying to help me but it's got overprotective" and leave these messages all over the house.

I'd be extremely wary about benzo use for fresh trauma. The odd xanax or whatever when it's intolerable for sure, but anything over and above that is just creating more problems as I'm sure you're well aware.

While waiting for the brain to (hopefully) reprocess your memory, a daily (twice daily really) meditation practice is your very best bet. Mindfulness stylee....learning to identify what are thoughts and what are facts, and learning to not attach to our thinking but merely to observe it, and then to let it go. A regular meditation practice will also lower your baseline anxiety levels, meaning that any anxiety provoking situation will not be as difficult to navigate. <3 <3

Thank you for this and I am looking into what you said in pm x

Hang in there bud it gets better after breaking up with my boyfriend of 10 years I slipped into a dark place and am just seeing the light now.

So I thought I would share some of what was done to me because it feels like I am getting it off my chest by talking about it.

Some of you know I was stabbed, punched, kicked and raped.

Below are some of the pictures of my stomach and my hand

Attachments

• 20160423_102240.jpg
    20160423_102240.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 4
Hang in there bud it gets better after breaking up with my boyfriend of 10 years I slipped into a dark place and am just seeing the light now.

I think what BTS is dealing with is a little more difficult than a breakup , Sarah.

Thinking of you. ❤ You're strong, keep fighting, you will feel better over time though it will always be a part of your history.

OMG
I've been beaten with a brick into the ground but an assault like that, I think you're so brave posting about it, talking about it and showing those pictures. I know we don't know each other but I'm thinking about you, and like everyone else in BluLite we are all here for you. Being global community there will almost always be an e-friend for you here 24/7 <3

OMG
I've been beaten with a brick into the ground but an assault like that, I think you're so brave posting about it, talking about it and showing those pictures. I know we don't know each other but I'm thinking about you, and like everyone else in BluLite we are all here for you. Being global community there will almost always be an e-friend for you here 24/7 <3
Thank you Leet, apparently talking about it is supposed to help but meh it hasn't yet....

Thank you Leet, apparently talking about it is supposed to help but meh it hasn't yet....
It probably does but only in tiny tiny increments. It must be something you think about a lot and I believe that talking or posting about it, by containing it in words rather than thoughts, you give your pain a voice, a voice that will be listened to by us all xx

So I ventured out on my own to do some grocery shopping and for the first time in ages I didn't panic driving on my own....

Funny thing was I actually had a good time, bought a lot of things for my little one and my furbabies.

Came home and my darling hubbs and the little one had made dinner and it was just so amazing.

What wonderful family I have

Much <3
BtS

wow !! Thank you for sharing. I hope that the person was caught , and locked up? This happened in your driveway? I am not sure what state you are in, or what your thought are on the topic? I teach Gun safety here in NY and training. It may be a class you would take to allow you to let go of the fear??

wow !! Thank you for sharing. I hope that the person was caught , and locked up? This happened in your driveway? I am not sure what state you are in, or what your thought are on the topic? I teach Gun safety here in NY and training. It may be a class you would take to allow you to let go of the fear??
Thank you very much for the offer.
I already have a licence to carry a firearm but wasn't on the day it happened