• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Life Education Australia; Harold the giraffe

I remember our drug education in early high school.
It was all about how bad alcohol is and how good pot is???
Like we had to complete a test and half the people said you can overdose and die from pot, so the teacher made us sit it again after explaining THC is a safe compound and alcohol can kill you and cause liver and brain damagee. Don't think they mentioned any other drugs, besides cigarettes.

LoL That reminds me. Our Heath teachers had a big storage box full of drug paraphranalia that they would bring out and pass round the class for us to look at. There was an 'unused' orchy bottle bong, and fits and satchel bags. Pretty funny.

I think these days it would probably be at least five bucks for one child to attend the Life Ed van. In a school of a thousand kids thats like 5 grand. But as a charity they may have corporate sponsors and tax kickbacks or government grants. Education is important but its the general consencus that no one actally got anything out of thier time with Harold.

Something interesting from their website...
Life Ed website said:
Drug education is learning about the health of the body, how it works and how it best works. We start by teaching children how to make healthy choices. Learning information about food, exercise and the body combined with social skills aimed to provide them with the confidence to make informed choices.

So maybe drug education isnt the major primary goal to teach primary age students.

There was a choice for us in High School to go to sessions, but it wasnt compulsary like it was in primary school. I seem to remember about 3 people actually getting involved and going.

:D

i definitely remember harold in early primary school years - maybe in the mid 1980's. i distinctly remember that he took someone's prescription drugs and ended up being a bit worse for wear - with birds flying aroung his head and stuff. and to this day, i have never taken anyone's prescription drugs!

it was pretty weird though

Oh, I liked Harrold.

I remember the bit where we rehearsed saying no to cigarettes.

I remember they did a fair bit on sex education and told us all about the organs of the human body

I remember them telling us about healthy lifestyle "exercise, good food"

But i dont remember them doing so much on drugs,

I do remember a session about peer pressure where a staff member tried to pressure me into having a smoke and i had to try to say no and resist it for as long as i could and then say time out when i couldn’t take it anymore

There was also some thing called carpet kid which was a body on a mat with plastic velcro organs

I also remember after seeing Harold in the library, me and my friends saying we'd never try ciggies, weed, or any drugs, and never, ever inject anything..
DARE style crap.

Top work you bloody giraffe ;)

Hahaha I remember Harold and the life education van... exciting times, exciting times lol

I remember our class focused a lot on healthy eating habits.
The closest thing resembling harm minimisation was a role playing activity whereby we had to discourage Harold from going to a party with underage drinking. something like that LOLL

Giraffe delivers drug message
22 February 2008 - 8:24AM

A TALKING giraffe may seem like an odd way to educate children about drug misuse, but for the past 29 years Harold has been travelling throughout the country spreading his healthy living message.
The Life Education primary schools program began in 1979, and almost three decades on its lessons about reducing tobacco use and illegal drug use among young people; encouraging them to avoid or delay alcohol use and reduce the harms associated with any drug use is just as relevant as ever.

This week students from Muswellbrook South Public School were visited by Hunter Life Education’s Rebecca Grout, along with Harold, with all students in the school from kindergarten to year six attending the travelling classroom.

Mrs Grout said the students were all excited to visit the van, with the program modified to suit the different age groups attending.

The aim of the program is to educate primary school aged students so they make healthy choices as they get older.

According to the Ministerial Council on Drug Strategy 2004, the optimal time for introducing drug education appears to be late primary and early high school years.

Hunter Life Education is a community based and funded organisation.

During this trip to the region, Mt Arthur Coal has paid for students from Muswellbrook and Upper Hunter Shires to attend.

Musswellbrook Chronicle

haha yes yes i remember harold the talking giraffe well ( a talking giraffe makes me think the people who thought this up were on drugs 2 start with)
all else i can say bout life ed van is they do teach good values and have the right idea, but the message that weed especialy is "bad" or "wrong" doesnt sit with me too well , yer tell the kids not to drink, tell them not to smoke, at that age (the age of my daughter who did this shit last year) which is now 8, aint gonna do shit for em now there 2 young,.. the presure hits in highschool or end of primary... you make ur fuckin chioce and u stick with it, thats life sorry but it's true:(

I dont remember any real HR stuff... mostly about the body/being healthy and the fact the harrold yo-yo's made yo-yo's like massive at my school

I was driving through the blue mountains recently and i spotted the healthy harold van in a school... the memories flooded back! A nice dark van with lights in the roof and a cool talking giraffe to play with.... i want to try it when im rolling8o

Harold the giraffe, fuckn hell i havent thought about that cunt since primary school, thanks alot