• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Life after Heroin.

I do have to say that heroin unfortunately changed the definition of happiness for me... may be a permanent effect.

But that article is bullshit.

"I'm rich and can't get high anymore, my life sucks"....

I went to the same rehab in Thailand and it's actually significantly cheaper than most rehabs in the US or the UK. Especially compared to the US, which was approximately 5-6X the price per month. I literally got 6 months at Hope in Sriracha for the same as it would have cost me for 1 month in the US. Seems to be a major misconception that it's some super expensive place. It's not cheap, but you definitely have a more "luxury" experience and the equivalent level of care in Thailand (It has a pretty big medical tourism industry for the same reason too - I still do most of my dental work there).
Flights must be cheap no? I guess thailand is literally the other side of the world and in the UK we have free health care.... But don't think they fund residential rehab much if at all anymore

Flights must be cheap no? I guess thailand is literally the other side of the world and in the UK we have free health care.... But don't think they fund residential rehab much if at all anymore

Depends on where you're coming from, but yeah, pretty cheap. From the UK/NL I've flown for as little as 600 quid to Thailand. I think I knew some people that had gone to the Priory in the UK, but I'm pretty sure that's a private place. What I like about the rehab(s) I went to in Thailand is that it got away from the super clinical feel of a lot of rehabs in the West and I think it helped me heal more spiritually to be around nature.

I don't fully agree to that addiction hits rich people the same by definition - probably I could fully go away with mine for very long if I had money and contacts, and be a hella lot more productive with it than I am here and now but that's just me. Might well be that I'd have gone in much deeper then and would be fucked up more now though. On the other side it feels like I have pretty maxed out what's possible, somehow glad not to have developed obvious cognition issues.

We do still have rehab funding! Perhaps not now with the pandemic and everything but generally there are a certain amount of rehab places that are made available to each local authority yearly and it's left to your local addiction agency to distribute the places, so the exact methods of selection vary from area to area. At my local one for example it only took 3 months to get a rehab place - I was first required to submit a "life story" where I detailed everything that had happened leading to my addiction and why I wanted to go to rehab, then for a couple of months I had to attend a few classes a week to demonstrate commitment and then after that I was given a place and was in rehab a month after that. (I wish I hadn't now as I REALLY wasn't ready, but oh well....). If rehab is something you're interested in then you should ask at the drug misuse service in your local area!

I don't fully agree to that addiction hits rich people the same by definition - probably I could fully go away with mine for very long if I had money and contacts, and be a hella lot more productive with it than I am here and now but that's just me. Might well be that I'd have gone in much deeper then and would be fucked up more now though. On the other side it feels like I have pretty maxed out what's possible, somehow glad not to have developed obvious cognition issues.

I don't think anybody would disagree that the consequences of addiction are necessarily going to be worse for poor people than rich people, it's just that the rich are still not immune from the same suffering that we go through. The money brings problems of its own as well - look at all the rich celebrities that have died of overdoses. The list is endless. Having a practically unlimited supply of your DOC is a good way to end up dead.

We do still have rehab funding! Perhaps not now with the pandemic and everything but generally there are a certain amount of rehab places that are made available to each local authority yearly and it's left to your local addiction agency to distribute the places, so the exact methods of selection vary from area to area. At my local one for example it only took 3 months to get a rehab place - I was first required to submit a "life story" where I detailed everything that had happened leading to my addiction and why I wanted to go to rehab, then for a couple of months I had to attend a few classes a week to demonstrate commitment and then after that I was given a place and was in rehab a month after that. (I wish I hadn't now as I REALLY wasn't ready, but oh well....). If rehab is something you're interested in then you should ask at the drug misuse service in your local area!

Yeh I heard there was limited but some existent funding. I'm not ready to jump through the hoops yet... And had to backtrack after probs with people tryin to take my licence off me. It's good to know that they really exist as opposed to being just in the literature.

Yeh I heard there was limited but some existent funding. I'm not ready to jump through the hoops yet... And had to backtrack after probs with people tryin to take my licence off me. It's good to know that they really exist as opposed to being just in the literature.

Probably a good idea! If you're not ready to attend classes etc. then you probably aren't ready for a 3 month stay in a rehab either! Also I can't emphasise enough how important being ready to go is. I really, really regret going when I did. I was basically coerced into it - I was living at my Mum's, she had had enough of me stealing/using/lying, so she gave me the ultimatum that I had to see if I could get a rehab place. I did it just to make her happy, not expecting I'd actually get it, and then when I did get it my decision was basically go to rehab or get kicked out & be homeless. I knew I wasn't ready to quit. I went to rehab with a vague half-hearted decision to give it a go, ended up staying 7 months and was convinced I was done with drugs, then relapsed basically as soon as I could, and now it's highly unlikely I'll ever get to go again. I think I would have gotten so much more out of it now and wish it was still an option, so don't do what I did! Only go when you're really desperate to get clean for good.

Probably a good idea! If you're not ready to attend classes etc. then you probably aren't ready for a 3 month stay in a rehab either! Also I can't emphasise enough how important being ready to go is. I really, really regret going when I did. I was basically coerced into it - I was living at my Mum's, she had had enough of me stealing/using/lying, so she gave me the ultimatum that I had to see if I could get a rehab place. I did it just to make her happy, not expecting I'd actually get it, and then when I did get it my decision was basically go to rehab or get kicked out & be homeless. I knew I wasn't ready to quit. I went to rehab with a vague half-hearted decision to give it a go, ended up staying 7 months and was convinced I was done with drugs, then relapsed basically as soon as I could, and now it's highly unlikely I'll ever get to go again. I think I would have gotten so much more out of it now and wish it was still an option, so don't do what I did! Only go when you're really desperate to get clean for good.

Exactly this, I have heard of so many people where it hasn't worked. I could probably borrow the money to go private but I'm not putting myself in debt for something I am not ready for.

I think I'd really need to hit rock bottom before I was ready.