• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc lexapro making me tired as fuck?

soundsystem00

Bluelighter
I have been taking lexapro for over 4 weeks and it has not started "working" to my knowledge. It does help me sleep but then it makes me super exhausted the next morning. I will nod out at work and everything. I drink monsters, coffee, anything I can. If I quit taking the med for a few days then I get the "brain zaps" I'm already on gabapentin 800mg and klonopin 1mg as needed. eventually I might try to just go off all this.

My main question was on lexapro. I was always agains SSRI's and this is my first time taking it. Part of me wants to quit taking them but then I would get the brain zaps. I should probably just ask my doc first but was see what you guys thought.

thanks.

Maybe switch to zoloft. Seems to be less sedating than others. Prozac as well and with such a long 1/2 life, may reduce the withdrawal effects.

I have been taking lexapro for over 4 weeks and it has not started "working" to my knowledge. It does help me sleep but then it makes me super exhausted the next morning. I will nod out at work and everything. I drink monsters, coffee, anything I can. If I quit taking the med for a few days then I get the "brain zaps" I'm already on gabapentin 800mg and klonopin 1mg as needed. eventually I might try to just go off all this.

My main question was on lexapro. I was always agains SSRI's and this is my first time taking it. Part of me wants to quit taking them but then I would get the brain zaps. I should probably just ask my doc first but was see what you guys thought.

thanks.

Are you sure it's not the Klonopin making you tired and not the Lexapro?

I'm on both Klonopin and Lexapro and the Klonopin makes me tired but not the Lexapro.

The brain zaps arent really that bad of a side effect. 4 weeks of use wont create any bad withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor before stopping, he might have ideas.

Personally anti depressants never did it for me. They are a very personal experience though and very greatly from person to person.

I tried one more week. Same stuff. Right when I stop them, I feel better almost instantly. I may just streer clear of the whole category since I have been doing so for so long.

No, benzodiazepines don't make me tired they do the opposite actually.

Try viibryd, brand new SSRI zero side effects. And it works as soon as you start taking it. It has changed my life.

Great. Someone has to go and say something positive to flip my whole world around.

Alright fine I'll ask about it. Haha. Thanks for your help man.

Being a huge fan of stims, I may eventually try to get on some vivance

Great. Someone has to go and say something positive to flip my whole world around.

Alright fine I'll ask about it. Haha. Thanks for your help man.

Being a huge fan of stims, I may eventually try to get on some vivance

I feel you pain with the SSRIs. I pay out of pocket for this because the VA doesn't carry it because it is so new. No form of AD ever worked for me b/c of awful side effects, I tried this one and immediately started feeling better. One word of advice, the only side effect I know of is that it will either give you energy (so take in morning) or make you quite sleepy (so take at night) I started taking mine on the weekend to find out. For me it makes me sleepy so is spent a Saturday napping, not a bad way to spend a saturday lol. I read this rant from somewhere online from this woman saying viibryd ruined her life that she had day time sleepiness that ruined her work performance and it was the worst drug ever created blablabla... I said "then why the hell are you not taking it at night?" she said she never thought about that but that it wouldn't make a difference she tried it though, and now all of a sudden her life is amazing and viibryd is awesome. One good thing about being a pill addict is we have enough common sense to figure that shit out on our own LOL.

Im not saying not to try it SS but saying viibryd is without side effects is silly. It does seem to work quick though.

Im not saying not to try it SS but saying viibryd is without side effects is silly. It does seem to work quick though.

Let me rephrase. I have tried every SSRI/SNRI and a handful of Tri-Cyc-ADs and the side effects I had on all of them were INSANE, I thought I was simply not a candidate for ADs then my buddy who I served with overseas who also suffers from PTSD told me his private physician had him try viibryd so I went to mine and gave it a shot. I have experienced no side effects aside from the sleepiness. No weight gain, no sexual dysfunction, no delusions, no suicidal ideations... I mean for me this stuff is a miracle.

Im glad it works Mad Dash. It definitely has less incidence of sexual side effects which causes so many people to quit SSRIs. I wasnt stepping on toes, just pointing out Viibryd has adverse effects like any drug.

Viibryd is an interesting drug in that it's not just an SSRI, but also a 5HT1A agonist (i.e. it directly activates a specific type of serotonin receptor involved in lowering anxiety).
It would make sense for the effects of the serotonin agonism to become apparent much faster than the effects of the reuptake inhibition (which usually take 2 weeks to become manifest).

If your insurance won't cover the drug, you might also try simply combining an SSRI with an older drug called Buspirone (brand name: "Buspar"). Buspirone acts as a 5HT1A agonist, so the combo would basically be a poor man's Viibryd.

Word of warning: Buspirone is said to be significantly less effective in patients used to benzodiazepines. In the past, I'd have said that Buspirone may mostly be a placebo, but being older and wiser, I'm beginning to think that the opposite may be the case - a nocebo effect that causes you to discount the anti-anxiety effects of the buspirone because you're conditioned to associate anxiolysis with the euphoria of a benzo.

buspirone is a placebo well all it gave me was a shit ton of dizzy spells
haha i got switched to lexapro and having a shit ton of anxiety about taking it
as i am a daily drinker of beer

Talk to your doctor before you stop taking any medication you are taking and prescribed. Don't just stop taking it on your own.

thanks.

it very well could be gabapentin and or klonopin making you tired..when i took gabapentin in the past, it would often make me drowsy and sluggish..klonopin also slows me down as well..

I was much the same on lexapro in the beginning. Due to other med changes I'm now on Prozac instead and that's always treated me kindly :)