• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Least cognitively impairing opioids/prescription pain meds

pjhioaqhwwadd

Greenlighter
Any thoughts on the least cognitively impairing (i.e., in terms of processing speed, mental clarity, attention, cognitive fluency, etc...) opioids/prescription pain meds for short-term pain management? Thanks in advance!

It is quite subjective. I imagine there is some data out there and I will probably look now that you brought it to my attention, but I will give you my personal opinion. For me, oxycodone has zero negative effects on cognition and is quite stimulating. Morphine is the one that makes me feel the most fuzzy out of all I have tried.

^^ I agree with Kittycat5, however I have most recently been on both oxycodone and currently morphine. I didn't notice much mental impairment from either. So far my mind has been clear tapering up to 60mg or morphine ER daily. The question and opinion are quite subjective. I believe a lot has to do with the dose of the opiate and how fast you increase your dosage.

I agree SK. It is not that morphine makes me slower or confused or anything, it is just that I notice a slight feeling of general relaxation that I dont get with others.

But someone less naive and taking it on a short term basis, I could see how this can be taken as cognitive impairment. And good point on the dose. Too high too fast will surely have some of these effects on a new user.

Short term pain relief - may as well be opiates if you've tried everything else. I only say this because you intend short term use. I agree with others, oxy is stimulating to me, morphine more sedative so good for evening dose, oxy for job/work. Good. Luck oP.

tramadol is least impairing for me and Kratom is the most cognitively dulling. Opiates don't make me dumber they just make me intellectually lazy, I care less about making clever/witty remarks when I'm nodding uncontrollably.

^^^agree with the above. Even with me taking 600mgs it has zero impact on my normal everyday functioning
I take it for pain btw, not for abuse ?

I would have to agree about the oxy. It makes me "zip" as they say (extremely motivated and full of energy during onset). Morphine didn't make me zip at all, but it did make me slowdown and think things through a little more thoroughly. Oxymorphone, and hydromorphone turned me into a zombie.

Although not technically an opioid as such I would say Tramadol. Although as has been previously mentioned different drugs effect people in different ways.

Strange, I always found Tramadol to be pretty much impairing due to the SNRI effects. Yes it is stimulating and you can work great on it but it definitely impairs your cognitive abilities.

I would vote for Buprenorphine in low doses (0,5-1mg). It is only a partial agonist, has some stimulating and antidepressing effects too and lasts a long time without a sudden crash or so :)

Although not technically an opioid as such I would say Tramadol. Although as has been previously mentioned different drugs effect people in different ways.

Tramadol is in fact an opioid analgesic as well as an snri

Imo Codeine is the best answer here.
It's one of the weaker opioids but is pretty effective in reducing pain.
It WILL give you pain relief and NOT get you as impaired as other stronger narcotics, you'll be able to function perfectly.

Tramadol, even in small doses, will get you pretty speedy, and it's pain killing properties is quite poor imo, not a good choice here. It feels nasty, Tramadol is a horrible opiod, weak, and gives you a withdrawal almost as bad as Methadone, and Methadone is a million times more potent, lol. Stay away from Tramadol.

Norco, aka Hydrocodone/APAP, is a pretty good option, but it's also quite potent, esp compared to the opioids I listed above.
Norco also gets you pretty speedy in smaller doses, but not as much as Tramadol.
It's pain killing property, is excellent, just as good as codeine if not, better.

So, imo, your 2 best options are T3's, 300mg APAP and 30mg Codeine, or Norco, 325mg APAP and 5mg Hydrocodone.

To be honest... I have never found them to be cognitively impairing... only higher doses make them this way. I have always been able to take reasonable amounts and actually have it improve my abilities it was abusing the medication that began to ruin my life...

To be honest... I have never found them to be cognitively impairing... only higher doses make them this way. I have always been able to take reasonable amounts and actually have it improve my abilities it was abusing the medication that began to ruin my life...

Agreed. Unless I'm taking doses to make me nod, they don't really affect my cognitive abilities. They usually give me motivation to do things instead.

None of them at reasonable doses are cognitively impairing.I'd say they are cognitive enhancing personally, especially at first. Once you get a habit, withdrawal is very much impairing though.

Oxycodone is choice because it tends to be more stimulating but they are all quite similar.

Tramadol, even in small doses, will get you pretty speedy, and it's pain killing properties is quite poor imo, not a good choice here. It feels nasty, Tramadol is a horrible opiod, weak, and gives you a withdrawal almost as bad as Methadone, and Methadone is a million times more potent, lol. Stay away from Tramadol.

I second you on the WD bit, truly awful.

I haven't tried many, but have found tramadol and codeine don't impair me at all. Oxycodone wiped me out completely (as well as making me really depressed, which is apparently not normal).

Like the majority here I'd go with oxycodone, and also state that most opiates aren't that impairing just if you get to a certain level of sedation of course you're impaired by that very reason. However I would disagree about suboxone, that stuff gave me a little bit of cloudiness in my mentation for sure even on long term maintenance.