Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

lab testing?

justsayknow

Bluelighter
just curious if anyone has ever seen any lab test results from australian pills either recently or in the past. I remeber seeing a poster put out by the police in about 97 or so and seem to remember that it had like various pictures and detailed info about pill contents such as what substances each contained and the weights of each. I have done some searching and have come up with some info from the federal police(national illicit drug report) and the national drug and alcohol research centres party drugs initiatives bulletins. There is some info in these regarding pill quality and adulterants but it is poorly presented and gives broad figures rather than specifics. Any how in a couple of places this article/publication is cited as a source of data

Murtagh, C. 2002. Ecstasy – do you get what you pay for? A
study of NSW police seizures 2000 and 2001. Division
of Analytical Laboratories, Sydney.

does anyone out there know anything about this?
it sounds like it would make an interesting read
I have read lots of people on bluelight saying that the police don't like giving out specifics about pill quality has this always been the case? and is there any way to access this type of info?

Ive been munching pills for over 4 years now. The only form of commercial test that I have seen has been in underground rave parties where there has been machines to analyse pills, but due to the legal nightmare this can bring, quantative lab testing in Australia is still not here yet.

Its unfortunate, because when PMA scares like these Red Mitsubishi's come about (as mentioned in the other thread) , people can be informed straight away thus minismising the threat to the community, but when you live in a country where the majority are against us drug users we are going to have to settle for nothing.

Quantative lab testing is available overseas

http://www.ecstasydata.org/

you say that you have seen people analyse pills in machines at raves. Was this in Australia? and do you know what sort of tests they were doing? Like were they able to give quantitative results or at least something a little more informative than the eztesters?

TranceNation said:
Ive been munching pills for over 4 years now. The only form of commercial test that I have seen has been in underground rave parties where there has been machines to analyse pills, but due to the legal nightmare this can bring, quantative lab testing in Australia is still not here yet.

Its unfortunate, because when PMA scares like these Red Mitsubishi's come about (as mentioned in the other thread) , people can be informed straight away thus minismising the threat to the community, but when you live in a country where the majority are against us drug users we are going to have to settle for nothing.

Quantative lab testing is available overseas

http://www.ecstasydata.org/

Are you for real ? Who is going to carry around gc/ms and calibration facilities to a rave? I have never heard of this sort of thing happening. If it did happen, why isnt it happening now?

It may occur overseas, but has not happened in Australia. The best thing to do is support Enlighten, as they are paving the way for a GCMS program to be introduced.

Thanks for your replies guys, and well done to the Enlighten crew with the stuff in Adelaide. I am kind of curious about past lab/gcms results and where they might be at. Is that sort of thing accessible to the public the stuff in the national illicit drug report kind of indicates that someone is doing some sort of tests of pill quality.

justsayknow said:
Thanks for your replies guys, and well done to the Enlighten crew with the stuff in Adelaide. I am kind of curious about past lab/gcms results and where they might be at. Is that sort of thing accessible to the public the stuff in the national illicit drug report kind of indicates that someone is doing some sort of tests of pill quality.

It's very rare that government results are allowed to be released. CM will tell you all about this.

Sorry cowboy mac I think I'm making assumptions here. Do you mean that the police forensic people just use reagent type tests
the same as everyone else?

justsayknow said:
Sorry I think I'm making assumptions here. Do you mean that the police forensic people just use reagent type tests

Sorry mate i cant help you here. Im not sure on the status and laws of making results public. Might have something to do with it aiding to much towards a public MDMA quality control method, if results were released. As far as forensics go, they would use reagents and energy control testing as a method of testing. But im sure CM or someone from the enlighten team can shed the light better then i have.

ok thanks
maybe I should contact the police or the people who actually did the tests

Originally posted by justsayknow
Sorry cowboy mac I think I'm making assumptions here. Do you mean that the police forensic people just use reagent type tests

We are all aware of the limitations of reagents, so they are followed up with a GCMS lab test. The 'kits' you can buy are no different to those used by police as they are all made using the same chemicals, except they would be freshly made. Police forensics will use reagents as an initial spot test, but perform a GCMS to identify exactly what the pill/substance is.

Originally posted by TranceNation
Yeah I forgot to mention , ive seen these tests done before at raves in Europe.

I believe it has been happening there since the early 90's.

GC/MS tests are done on virtually each and every single sample of any illicit drugs seized (or at least at sell/supply level of possession).

This is because you must have the certified test results in order to get a prosecution. Even if the person caught pleads guilty the test must be done as the exact weight, identity and purity of the drug is crucial for sentencing.

So the law enforcement authorities and government agencies involved in the testing have literally volumes and volumes of these certificates. This information is invariably read in Court so it does become public record in the end.

I think it is wrong that these results exist and are not released. The thing is they would rarely assist drug users anyway as on most occasions by the time the tests get done the pill is long gone from the market such is the time it takes for proceedings to move along, and the inevitable backlog.

But at least then people really would know what is out there, the range of purities typically found in all the types of drugs, and just how many pills have something other than MDMA in them. My belief based on information I've been told second hand over time, is that the results are so benign that it simply does not assist the message that the police and government generally attempt to propagate. They would be far better off focusing on the fact that these illegally manufactured drugs are filled with impurities, whose damaging effects are unknown, and discussing the actual risks associated with the chemical in virtually all "ecstasy" pills on the market. (MDMA)

As we have seen recently with PMA again in the news, it is a crime not to make some of these results available. For all we know we could be dealing with a MDMA/PMA mix and I would like to see a complete quantitative chart for the impugned pill, letting the public know EVERY drug that is in them and in what QUANTITY. Yes bits and pieces have been released but it is very unclear and complete hearsay. There is a similar chance that the PMA issue currently is a bit of a furphy - maybe it came from another source and these people also had red mitsubishis. We just dont know - where are the quantitative results - release all the information if you can release some and be so definitive.

The cynic in me, and it is a controversial thing to say, but the governments don't want to be so open with the contents of these drugs, because by not being so, the threatening unknown of illicit chemicals that they play upon remains all the more powerful. (At least in their eyes - most people are none the wiser, don't care, or do their best with reagent testing and peer communication such as this. The Authorities' position only encourages ignorance not drug use)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Biscuit
For all we know we could be dealing with a MDMA/PMA mix

Via email communication today I spoke to a chemist Enlighten has delt with in the past. There have been recent siezures of red mitsubishi's and they have been GCMS tested to contain MDMA only, so we know for sure that there has been at least one batch that does not contain any adulterant. This is good news as it puts to rest the theory there is only one batch around, that contains MDMA and PMA.