• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health L theanine powder for anxiety/withdrawals?

Quickfixgrrl

Bluelighter
I've just ordered L theanine 250mg online as I frequently suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety, mostly due to coming down from abusing pills and alcohol.
I'm trying to get my life back on track.
I'm already on Lexapro, Mirtazapine and Pregabalin for my anxiety. I'm tapering the Pregabalin and it's been rough, to say the least; nihilistic views and suicidal ideation hit me hard.
Anyway.... I'm sick of being presribed Valium as a cure all when I visit my doctor. I love benzos and with my addictive personality it never ends well.
I also have severe bouts of GAD.
Will L theanine help me?
Who has experience with this?
Should I take it daily or as required?
Thanks ?

I know some people who really like it. Can somewhat level stimulants reasonably. One friend takes it every time he uses modafinil. Try either in the morning or before bed. I'd try a couple sample doses PRN and then perhaps a straight week.

I personally didn't care for it, 50-800 mg. Felt kind of flat. Might have helped anxiety, but I was more depressed at the time.

I tried some Suntheanine, a supposedly superior version of it(though it could be marketed B.S.) while withdrawing off benzodiazepines and it seemed to make my mood instability worse, BUT that might have just been a paradoxical reaction. Some other supplement I was interested in trying was passionflower extract, but I never got around to ordering it. Kavalactones in Kava are also supposedly helpful in the management of the anxiety of GABA based withdrawal, but it can be somewhat more habit forming and it has a recreational edge to it some would say. I'm aware that pregabalin doesn't work directly on GABA-a/b, but some people have substituted small amounts of a benzo in place of gabapentinoid's, so if some of these natural substances are working there, it might still help.

I can just provide you some outdated graph comparing passionflower to benzodiazepines. It was drafted long ago by a Dr. I believe, it's extremely outdated and might be bunk data, not sure:

BZD/PF Graph

Last edited:
I’m not sure for anything on the severe end, especially knowing what works as you do, it will not be a light bulb moment. I do agree though, it level stimulants very well. It can take all jitters away from coffee if you are prone to that, but is no industrial strength “calmer” to say the least.

Good on you for looking at alternatives that shows good character, or at least you are getting it back ?☺

Im not trying to be a tool but ive had suicide attempts and bought l theanine in grams.

Its effects where im not sure. Ie not strong enough to draw a conclusion one way or another.

But what is important is if your having suicidal idealization l theanine and supplements are in my opinion (while possible good compliments to meds and therapy) not appropriate right now.

Are you tapering down with or without a doctor on the lyrica?

I really think you need your meds adjusted because you seem in a serious place. So you need some serious help not a supplement that may be able to make someone slightly less anxious.

I'm experimenting with doses of L theanine in doses of 200 mg every 4-6 hours I just started as I too have heard of it helping ease anxiety symptoms and my thoughts are it can't hurt. I can't give any input of its effectiveness quite yet but I will continue and comment back if I fell any difference after a few day. I'm also on pregablin 200 mg twice a day. It's prescribed for neuropathy and nerve pain ATM I just had a dose increase from 300-400 as my nerve pain had flared up. Also I've just stopped abusing massive amounts of gabapenton and lyrica so this is the first week actually taking my prescribed dose, this is why I purchased the L theanine in attempt too lower the rebound anxiety from the gaba drugs. Will keep you posted if I notice any relief. I remain cautiously optimistic?