• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Kratom yes or no

Kattt

Greenlighter
Hi, I’m new here and I have a question. I was on percs 5 yrs, went treatment once, after a year still seeing that doc, my husband had a stroke. I lost insurance and the doc. But I had cut back enough for 2 yr supply! In my opinion I didn’t need that much of suboxone. Anyways , now I’m trying to taper. It’s horrible! Wish I’d known but I didn’t, ppl have pointed me to kratom. Now I use cbd but of course it’s not touching the withdrawals and I can’t smoke , I have bad anxiety from it. I also use half benzo a day for anxiety. Now I don’t have a doctor who can help me. I’ve changed my life now. I just want some peace. What kind, how much and should I try kratom. I’ve had ppl say no way and others say yes. Thanks

Well thats your decision to make. Kratom will likely lessen the withdrawals and make you feel better but it is just replacing one addiction for another. The addiction isn't quite as bad as opioids and there is practically no chance of overdose but there is a withdrawal not too dissimilar from regular opioid withdrawal. So I guess the question is.. are you happy continuing to maintain your addiction or do you want to be completely clean and sober?

Also keep in mind kratom only lasts 4-5 hours so you'll have to re-dose a lot. But it does feel nice and is very inexpensive.

Last edited:
Just be careful to use it responsibly. I got myself addicted to kratom and the withdrawal is terrible. Even tapering down slowly with comfort meds is a real bitch. I can't compare it to addiction to regular opiates as I've never been addicted to them. Prior to this, my only serious addiction was to cocaine, and going CT off of a multi-gram per day habit was nothing by comparison...

Give it a try. Just respect it. You already know what happens when you take an addictive drug too many times. No harm to try just once and see.

I believe the red leaves are the best for withdrawal. I tried various ones and never felt anything some time off methadone aside the stimulant effects and my body isn't made to stomach that stuff. The nausea can be bad. But have read lots of good things where it helped others, so yet just try.

Well thats your decision to make. Kratom will likely lessen the withdrawals and make you feel better but it is just replacing one addiction for another. The addiction isn't quite as bad as opioids and there is practically no chance of overdose but there is a withdrawal not too dissimilar from regular opioid withdrawal. So I guess the question is.. are you happy continuing to maintain your addiction or do you want to be completely clean and sober?

Also keep in mind kratom only lasts 4-5 hours so you'll have to re-dose a lot. But it does feel nice and is very inexpensive.
No I’m not wanting to continue maintain a addiction which is what I thought I was taking care of in treatment not adding something worse!

No I’m not wanting to continue maintain a addiction which is what I thought I was taking care of in treatment not adding something worse!

Well in that case kratom is not what you want. You're going to have to face the music. If you need some relief try a non-opioid drug like a benzo or lyrica but use very sparingly. Anything that touches opioid receptors is going to prolong your withdrawal. There is no magic bullet, time is the only cure. Taper down your suboxone down as low as you can and then stop. Hot baths help with the restlessness.

PS benzo withdrawal is much worse than opioid withdrawal so watch it on that front.

Have you tried THC edibles? You shouldn't get much anxiety from it. Just take a little. Don't worry, once you kick and on the other side you will be fine with weed. That is by far the most helpful drug in withdrawal (in regard to risk / reward). Sure a cocktail of benzos and gaba will help more, but very addictive and you will still rebound off them.

Well in that case kratom is not what you want. You're going to have to face the music. If you need some relief try a non-opioid drug like a benzo or lyrica but use very sparingly. Anything that touches opioid receptors is going to prolong your withdrawal. There is no magic bullet, time is the only cure. Taper down your suboxone down as low as you can and then stop. Hot baths help with the restlessness.

PS benzo withdrawal is much worse than opioid withdrawal so watch it on that front.
I have faced the music and I couldn’t, I’ve tapered to almost nothing but 🤷🏻‍♀️ there are things that u have to do everyday , responsibilities. I can’t just stop! Not only that I have a chronic illness so it’s a little harder... I’m familiar with benzos as I’ve taken then for anxiety 11 yrs.

Have you tried THC edibles? You shouldn't get much anxiety from it. Just take a little. Don't worry, once you kick and on the other side you will be fine with weed. That is by far the most helpful drug in withdrawal (in regard to risk / reward). Sure a cocktail of benzos and gaba will help more, but very addictive and you will still rebound off them.
No , I can’t find edibles with hardly any THC here....

I have faced the music and I couldn’t, I’ve tapered to almost nothing but 🤷🏻‍♀️ there are things that u have to do everyday , responsibilities. I can’t just stop! Not only that I have a chronic illness so it’s a little harder... I’m familiar with benzos as I’ve taken then for anxiety 11 yrs.
*them

Worst case scenario for me WD-ing from kratom is that the leaf covers a broad spectrum of "feel good" chemicals and one has to do without those for a while until one balances again.
On the other hand... in my experience it is a lot more forgiving (scale wise) than say coming of roxies, xannies, crack or something akin. I haven't had any pain meds in a couple years now (other than occasional recreation) and as a poly drug user I may have found the perfect "cocktail" of sorts that seems sustainable and mostly keeps the boogieman away... 'cept sometimes when I lash out in my sleep. :oops:
Be safe, try to keep the dose low as possible/only when needed, get a scale (optimally .001g) if not already on that and it may be just what dr love ordered.
Ptah

Kratom has stimulant properties so when you kick kratom the withdrawl is different. Also normal opiates aren't satisfying unless you combine with kratom as you become dependent on kratom more complex and "dirty" style of binding to different andrenogenic/opioid/and potentially serotonin receptors.

On the upside kratom is relatively inexpensive if bought in bulk and perfectly legal right now, and it really does help with cutting out pain pills/heroin and making it so you don't need a pharmacist/dealer in your life as you move away from opiates.

So you want to stop taking opioids completely but are unwilling to go through withdrawal...? well I'm afraid that's not possible. Your options are to face withdrawal or continue to use, kratom or whatever else. Dont get me wrong kratom is a great tool but you are replacing one addiction for another. It still tickles those same receptors, and others as the previous posters have pointed out. but if that's what you have to do to get through the day then all the power to you. Lots of us are in that position.

So you want to stop taking opioids completely but are unwilling to go through withdrawal...? well I'm afraid that's not possible. Your options are to face withdrawal or continue to use, kratom or whatever else. Dont get me wrong kratom is a great tool but you are replacing one addiction for another. It still tickles those same receptors, and others as the previous posters have pointed out. but if that's what you have to do to get through the day then all the power to you. Lots of us are in that position.
😒 I’ve went through withdrawals before hun but eventually couldn’t go on and unfortunately the risk is high for me! I have other issues that I didn’t add and it’s risky for me and I’m possibly in that position unfortunately. I guess if it’s something I have to do but I’d rather not. I just needed info on kratom because I’m not going to lie and say starting something knew does not make me nervous, it does!

Worst case scenario for me WD-ing from kratom is that the leaf covers a broad spectrum of "feel good" chemicals and one has to do without those for a while until one balances again.
On the other hand... in my experience it is a lot more forgiving (scale wise) than say coming of roxies, xannies, crack or something akin. I haven't had any pain meds in a couple years now (other than occasional recreation) and as a poly drug user I may have found the perfect "cocktail" of sorts that seems sustainable and mostly keeps the boogieman away... 'cept sometimes when I lash out in my sleep. :oops:
Be safe, try to keep the dose low as possible/only when needed, get a scale (optimally .001g) if not already on that and it may be just what dr love ordered.
Ptah
Thank u

my overall view of kratom is it's minimally effective for opioid withdrawal (but what IS effective? nothing else. Don't count other pills which just keep you opioid addicted)

In my last several opioid withdrawals kratom is a lifesaver but only after the initial hump of withdrawal. After 5-7 days kratom is awesome. I guess it works in post withdrawal.

immediately switching to kratom after opioids is pointless because it's so weak if you have tolerance all you will get is stimulation.

A lot of other IRL addicts I've suggested kratom said it sucks. I think people hear kratom being an "opioid" and expect too much out of it. Keep your expectations for it low and it just might surprise you. There's a reason I still use it after 6+ years, it's a nifty little plant that does a lot of things.

good luck!