• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom Withdrawal

Chupacabra1990

Greenlighter
Hi there,
Any tips for successfully tapering off of kratom with minimal withdrawal symptoms?

Timeline/ history of use:
-Daily use of H, oxy, and benzos for 3 years; quit successfully with Suboxone
-Daily use of prescription 8mg Suboxone for subsequent 2 years; tapered and quit successfully with kratom & Gabapentin 2 years ago
-Almost daily use of kratom (2-10 g/day) for past 2 years. Have taken a handful of 2-3 day breaks. Routinely reduce daily dose to 2 g/day. Rarely use 10 g/day. Generally hover around 6 g/day.

It is easy to reduce to 2 g/day, however difficult to maintain that low a dose. Have quit for up to 3 consecutive days. Just have trouble maintaining. Worst symptoms of withdrawal are: sweating, irritability and insomnia.

Thank you for the kind words and advice, Jekyl Anhydride!
That seems like a solid plan. Do you think that switching the strain of kratom would have any impact? Like make it easier or more difficult to taper? I have never really paid much attention to the strains I use, it all feels relatively the same to me- but I am curious if tolerance to certain strains occurs, and if so, whether I could use that to my advantage, if that makes any sense.

Honestly? With your low dose, just bite the bullet and stop. You might feel a bad headache for the first 2 days, but kratom wd is nothing like opioids or illicit drugs. You can do it! Get some gatorade and coffee to power through. Perhaps taper to like 1.5 grams for the entire day and then just stop after you get that down. Again, kratom wd is really not that bad, friend.

Being illegal doesn't have any affect on the withdrawals a drug has. Look at alcohol, nicotine, etc. If you're dealing with plant matter or concentrate there a variety of molecules at play and if they have a variety of affects its consists a 'dirty drug.' (pharmacological speaking).

All that to say: drug elitism is unhelpful.

Heroin doesn't even kill you like alcohol, etc etc, people experiences of various WDs will be badly different even depending on their processing of the substance by liver enzymes (that vary from person to person).

Etc

Kratom withdrawal can be quite bad for some. I find the RLS to be worse with kratom than any other opiate I've tried. For me RLS is the worst withdrawal effect, it's the reason I can't sleep. With kratom it affects my entire body, not just my legs. Of course I was doing like 50g per day. At 2-10g/day, they won't be as bad. Your best bet is to taper down very low (since you've been on it for years already), and then jump off. The nice thing about kratom withdrawal is it's pretty short. after 5-7 days it should be totally gone.

Kratom withdrawal can be quite bad for some. I find the RLS to be worse with kratom than any other opiate I've tried. For me RLS is the worst withdrawal effect, it's the reason I can't sleep. With kratom it affects my entire body, not just my legs. Of course I was doing like 50g per day. At 2-10g/day, they won't be as bad. Your best bet is to taper down very low (since you've been on it for years already), and then jump off. The nice thing about kratom withdrawal is it's pretty short. after 5-7 days it should be totally gone.
RLS is HORRIBLE. Its usually my #1 worst WD effect too. I ended up getting a prescription for Requip (prescribed for RLS and Parkinsons) and it worked WONDERS. Literally had ZERO restless legs at all.

Considering how easy my WD period was. Im extremely worried about replasing... Only had chills/coldness and night sweats. And those can easily be overcome.

Wow I wish I had known about that... RLS fucking destroys me mentally in withdrawal. As a kid I had it a lot, in fact when I was in first grade I had to walk around all the time with my toes curled inside my shoes, I even had it while walking. I'd get in trouble for stretching my legs into the aisles in school. Drove me nuts. There was no medically recognized "restless legs syndrome" at the time, but my mom, my brother and I all would get it a lot. Our doctor told me mom when she asked "um... just don't move your legs!" and rolled his eyes. We called it "crazy legs". To this day my sister thinks we're just being weird, for some reason she won't believe it's a real thing, my brother's wife is the same way.

Somehow, before I started opiates I would still get it a lot, but then after being addicted and finally quitting for good, I never get it anymore.

Wow I wish I had known about that... RLS fucking destroys me mentally in withdrawal. As a kid I had it a lot, in fact when I was in first grade I had to walk around all the time with my toes curled inside my shoes, I even had it while walking. I'd get in trouble for stretching my legs into the aisles in school. Drove me nuts. There was no medically recognized "restless legs syndrome" at the time, but my mom, my brother and I all would get it a lot. Our doctor told me mom when she asked "um... just don't move your legs!" and rolled his eyes. We called it "crazy legs". To this day my sister thinks we're just being weird, for some reason she won't believe it's a real thing, my brother's wife is the same way.

Somehow, before I started opiates I would still get it a lot, but then after being addicted and finally quitting for good, I never get it anymore.
Yeah, its absolutely horrible. I can only imagine growing up with it, it must have been crazy! Esp. since there was no medically reconized RLS. Thankfully now they have. But yeah... Requip has literally been a MIRACLE.

And thats insane! Opiates must have cured it! hahaha xD I dont know if I still have it, because I take the medicine every day, but the medicine is so cheap, I dont even mind buying it... So I just keep taking it, just in case.

Does the medication have any subjective drug effects, or does it just stop RLS?

Does the medication have any subjective drug effects, or does it just stop RLS?
When you say "subjective drug effects" are you talking about side effects? or recreational value? It definitely doesnt have any recreational value at all (if thats what you're talking about) and ive personally havent had any side effects either from it. It just stops the RLS.

Yeah I was wondering about whether it felt like anything, since it's a dopamine agonist.

If you follow a gradual taper,cutting 500mg-1g every 2 days, you will be fine. It starts kicking in (the withdrawal) the second day for me. Low energy mainly.
Exercise. Force yourself. The WORST thing to do is keep checking on a "Quitting" website like Quitting Kratom.
It will freak you out.
Lots of horror stories.
And don't dwell on it. Keep busy.
I think you will be fine.
Tom

You can always taper lower and more slowly. I know 2g isn't much, but if it's available, why not make your next 2-3 week dose 1.9g, which you probably won't notice, then 1.8g etc etc.
You don't need to rush, but it's important to keep going in the right direction and not increase. I think I read that you take the occasional high dose too. This needs to stop entirely if you are going to taper successfully.
Good luck.

Sorry, just reread your OP, and you're struggling to maintain 2g a day. This is because your dosing is all over the place. Do exactly as I said above, but if you're hovering around 6g a day, stick to that for a week, then drop 0.5g or whatever you feel comfortable with.
Slowly slowly, catchy monkey and all that! As long as your use keeps going down, then great. Unfortunately, you really shouldn't be having the occasional 'treat' days where you use more, as this is going to ultimately fuck you.
You need to either go slower, or as suggested by others, take a week off work if you work, and bite the bullet and stop all together, perhaps using some non opioid comfort meds.