• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom tolerance reduction without stopping?

everway9

Greenlighter
Hi everyone.

I hope you are all doing good today.

I have been using (abusing) Kratom on and off for well over 8 years. Recently I have been continuously using for over a year now and obviously my tolerance is very high. It does very little for me at the moment as expected. I wish I had respected it early on and only used it once every 3 days or so and at small amounts. Anyway... that did not happen.

I have reduced my intake substantially and I only use 5-10 grams per day as opposed to 40+. If I reduce it again to 5g will that help my body to be less tolerant and me feel the effects more over time or is the only way to stop completely for 2 or more weeks?

I have been using Kratom to fight my depression and anxiety where other anti-depressant medications have not worked. I have enough Kratom left to last a few months so long as I only use 35g per week. My aim is to quit completely and try some different AD's and to keep my reserves as a backup for future usage only if really needed.

I would be most grateful if some of you with the knowledge and experiences would come and share.

Many thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
I used kratom for about 4 1/2 months, and like you, not knowing any better, I assumed that more would equal 'more', and found myself dosing huge quantities of kratom every single day. Towards the end of the month, as my kilogram started to wane, I would have to reduce my dose drastically. I'd go from taking 14g one day, down to 7g the next day, and then down to 2g. Keep in mind, this was not the total amount of kratom I was using per day, but rather per dose, as I would often dose at least five times a day. I suppose at my lowest I might have gotten down to 8g/day, but regardless, lowering my dose didn't really seem to do much when I'd reup and get my next kilogram and double my dose.

This became incredibly frustrating because the idea of quitting kratom cold turkey seemed out of the question at the time, yet I was getting absolutely nothing out of it. It really sucked. While I can't offer you much advice, hopefully this post can serve as a warning to those who are new to kratom and don't find themselves in the same situation.

One thing I did want to ask:

How do you take your kratom? Do you T&W or make tea, or extract? The only thing towards the end that would provide any type of noticeable experience for me would be switching from T&W to tea. With the tea, the alkaloids that are water soluble are already extracted, so your body doesn't have to work through grams and grams of plant matter to get the good stuff. Similarly you could perform an alcohol extraction, which supposedly has a better yield, though the idea of the combined taste of hard liquor and kratom is disgusting IMO.

I have reduced my intake substantially and I only use 5-10 grams per day as opposed to 40+. If I reduce it again to 5g will that help my body to be less tolerant and me feel the effects more over time or is the only way to stop completely for 2 or more weeks?
Yeah, just like anything else, tolerance and taper..

- HS

Thank you both for your replies. :)

Znegative. I neither use toss 'then' wash or make tea. Even if there is very little active substance left after making tea I still feel like there is enough not to waste. I suppose you could make another weaker tea with whats left like with poppy tea. But, Instead I prefer to mix my dose with a small amount of grapefruit juice in a container with a push on cover which my multivitamins came in (a circular plastic container about 1.5 inch diameter and 2.5 inch tall with a push seal top). I put my dose in the container and add grapefruit juice to half full, put the top on and shake really violently for 20 seconds or so, pop the lid off then down it all. Ahh. Even with the small amount I use now. :)

With regards to the alcohol..... that is one thing I try to stay well clear of after years of abuse.

And yes. I agree. I do hope some see this as a warning when it comes to Kratom. It's a marvelous plant and has many benefits. More benefits than you may think.. do some research. However, at the same time it can be highly addictive and should be treated with respect. If you dont respect but instead abuse then dependence will come sooner than you think and it will take its toll and soon you will be using it just to feel close to normal. Not normal!... close to normal!

Anyway my commonsense says that tapering will not affect tolerance satisfactorily. I haven't got enough to last my whole life :( And I can no longer legally obtain it. So tapering to a complete stop and keeping plenty back in case of really truly hard times in the foreseeable future will be the way for me to go

Thanks both again for the replies. I didn't think I was going to get any. I'm very grateful :)

Thanks for posting this! I'm new here and new to Kratom, I of course read how tolerance builds up so quickly if abused, but it's good to see the reminder.. I think the sweating billets is keeping me from over use of it right now.. I can skip days right now..

Hi WDRegretz. Thanks for your input.

I have been using it for years on and off so if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them if I'm here.

Maybe you can answer one for me. I may have missed something or am being stupid so please forgive me if I am but I have never heard of sweating billets before.

Please will you explain?

Thanks. :)

Bullets, sweating bullets.. Typo, please forgive me!?? and thank you for your assistance!

Np... You sweat a lot when using Kratom? I cant remember ever sweating on Kratom. Maybe it's that long ago when I first tried Kratom and just cant remember. I remember the itching though. That was at first a bit intense but when my body got a little tolerant to Kratom I actually loved the itching. Strange it may sound but I have heard others who have said the same. :)

I sweat gallons while on kratom. Less with plain leaf as opposed to enhanced, but still more than is comfortable. If I don't drink at least 3 liters of water a day, I get severely nauseated and dehydrated. It seems for me, kratom causes "chemical" induced hyperhydrosis. Still less than CT withdrawal sweats, but the adrenal and ca2+ effects seem to be the primary reasons for the sweating for me since regular opies don't have anywhere near the sweat profile kratom does. Idk, ymmv.

Wow. And wow again... you seem to know what your talking about with all the hyperhydrosis, adrenal and ca2+ stuff :D Good on you!

I try to stay clear of the enhanced stuff. I could be wrong but I think it's just mixed with lots of caffeine and maybe some other stimulants or sedatives and more of a money grabber thing. All the good vendors I have used before have never sold that stuff. All their products have been of top quality and very fresh... never had any complaints.

"opies don't have anywhere near the sweat profile kratom does" No, your right. There are many, many different strains of Kratom. All of which have their own qualities. It's a wonderful tree.

Everway -

Have you tried the stem and vein method yet? I don't currently use Kratom, and I've never been dependent on it. However, I have used it to ease withdrawal symptoms from opiates. Before using it I did a fair amount of research on it. I remember reading about it while I was looking in to it.

Stem and vien apparently have a different alkaloid composition, which means that it will keep you out of withdrawal from Kratom and also reset your tolerance to the Kratom leaf. The vendor I use when I need any sells the stem and vein stuff (I remember it being pretty cheap compared to what I was getting which was mostly red vien Thai for withdrawal ease and sleep) and it is specifically marketed for lowering tolerance. My recollection is that they recommended doing it for about a week before switching back to the leaf. If you google "Kratom stem and vein tolerance" you will get a ton of information that will serve you better than my memory.

Good luck!

- VE

Hi VastEmpty.

Yes I have used Stem and Vein before. It's was a couple of years after I first started and yes using that for a while then going back to leaf was something I did regularly. It's unfortunate that I cant get the Stem and Vein powder anymore. I live in the UK and the government introduced a Psychoactive Substances Act which included Kratom. :(

Bur thank you so much for trying to help. I'm very grateful :)