• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom, not for me?

LostAtomsk

Bluelighter
Kratom is legal where I live and I've been curious about trying it. I'm not really a heavy user of anything, other than the occasional bit of weed, mdma or lsd a few times a year.

I bought two packs of powdered kratom, White Summatra and Green Malay. I researched the effects I bought and I liked what I read about it. Am planning to use it sparsely over the course of the next few weeks or months, to kick back a bit.
I decided on the toss and wash, as it seemed to me to be the most effective and "painless" method. So I took a flattened table spoon (I don't have a scale) as a starter dose to test the water, about three hours ago, on a relatively empty stomach (about 4 hours after lunch).

I wanted to try the White Summatra first, bolstered my bravery to stomach the taste, which wasn't too bad. It's the dry, coarse and grainy consistency that threw me off most. My mind and mood are OK. I fully realize that the effects can very a lot depending on person, lifestyle, diet, metabolism and whatnot, but I don't want to go overboard.

Three hours later, I can't say I'm really feeling any effects. Would it be wise to redose three hours later? I can't really find a status quo on that subject, the results are mixed. How do I know the kratom is kicking in? What marks the onset for you?

I'm curious!

I believe a tablespoon is about 6-8 grams, that's a pretty heavy dose for a starter and you should have definitely felt something (good or bad). If you pursue kratom I would strongly recommend a scale (got mine for like $8 on amazon). Seems like you did everything correct, empty stomach is probably the biggest factor as far as administration.

The quality can be heavily effected from where you purchased the kratom. Where did you purchase it (online vendor, headshop, etc. [don't name the exact source, I believe that's against the rules)? Typically the online vendors are higher quality for the price.

Could be a bunk batch. Could be that particular strain is ineffective to you. Could be a bunch of different reasons.

I enjoy kratom for what it is. To me, it's an anxiolytic that lifts my mood and provides a bit of energy. Very subtle, but noticeable.

I believe a tablespoon is about 6-8 grams, that's a pretty heavy dose for a starter and you should have definitely felt something (good or bad). If you pursue kratom I would strongly recommend a scale (got mine for like $8 on amazon). Seems like you did everything correct, empty stomach is probably the biggest factor as far as administration.

The quality can be heavily effected from where you purchased the kratom. Where did you purchase it (online vendor, headshop, etc. [don't name the exact source, I believe that's against the rules)? Typically the online vendors are higher quality for the price.

Could be a bunk batch. Could be that particular strain is ineffective to you. Could be a bunch of different reasons.

I enjoy kratom for what it is. To me, it's an anxiolytic that lifts my mood and provides a bit of energy. Very subtle, but noticeable.
Thanks for sharing!
I do feel tired and a bit lethargic, although I can't say I feel sedated? I feel like going to sleep :) I've never tried any opioids (and don't really plan to), so I've got no reference point as to how it works.
For the dosage, I've read advice that ranges from "start with 0.5 grams and work your way up every 15 minutes" to "chuck a tablespoon in your piehole and down that shit". I guess I went with the latter, because I'm a moron :)

It's an online vendor that's been around for a long time. Reviews seemed good, too. I'll try the green malay tomorrow on a lower dose and see if it's any different.

*quick edit to add:
What does it féél like? I was hoping for an uplifting effect, perhaps a bit dancey dancey, but I'm for from that.

You might try a few different vendors before giving up on it. Ive found different vendors to have wildly inconsistent quality. I would also try a couple different strains until you find one that hits your sweet spot. I really enjoy a lot of green veined strains

^^ The effects of various strains of Kratom are pretty subjective. Reviews are a decent starting point on subjective effects.

I suggest that you don't look for any effects. Let it kick in on its own.

In the mean time, think about chill or some other positive mindset.

I don't know the time to redose or how long it will last, but there is a Kratom Mega Thread in Other Drugs.

All you can do is research different strains, read reviews, post questions in the Mega Thread and go from there.

If you feel good where your at, then stay there.

If you discover a good vendor/strain, stick with it.

Kratom greatly depends on quality. One way I can tell is by dose. I have had product that I had to eat a few tablespoons to feel anything, then I had good stuff that one 00 size cap had me zooming.

Kratom is certainly not for everyone, but before you give up, research and try other types.
Always start with a low, to moderate dose. That way you won't get stuck if it's a strain you don't enjoy.

I've never tried any opioids (and don't really plan to), so I've got no reference point as to how it works.

Yeah, you have. Kratom is an opioid. ;) I believe you mean opiATEs, which is a drug derived from the opium poppy. Kratom affects some opioid receptors, among others, which gives it the mild opiate-like effect. I compare a proper dose of kratom to having a coffee and a percocet. The effect is mild euphoria, feelings of well-being and empathy, imagine 1/20th the effect of MDMA. I wouldn't call it "dancy" but it could inspire you to be less self-conscious about dancing in public. It will make you chatty, and will make you think things like "Man, I love this place" or "I'm so glad I have these friends", and things like that. It also obviously comes with good pain relief if you suffer from aches or pains. It will blast an alcohol hangover into the nether regions as if you never even had a drink. It will not only make the work day fly by, but will make you love the work you're doing too (its most addicting effect IMO, its what got me hooked).

If it's not working, I'd give up on it (yeah right, after I just gave that sales pitch.. 8)). It can be addicting because it is so effective and seemingly comes with no repercussions. I've been through the withdrawals and while they are manageable, it still sucks. Insomnia, cold sweats, chills, feelings of restlessness, strong cravings, and some anxiety. Absolute child's play compared to real opiates, but still is not a desirable state to be in. So yeah, if a few trials do not make you instantly fall in love with it, consider it a blessing in disguise. I currently use 8.5g every morning with a 5.5g follow up dose after lunch, every single day, with some days I use a bit more. Going a work day without it sounds bloody awful. I'd rather have no coffee for 2 weeks instead of no kratom for 1 day. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to taper off and make it recreational again.

Hope it helps!

I'm new to kratom as well. My order just arrived in the mail this morning(lucky me!) and i've taken two cups of tea made with some Green Kalimantan so far, each with about 3g of powdered leaf and on an empty stomach. The first cup I noticed a slight euphoria when it started to kick in but it died off and now I just feel similar to the mood boost I would get from a rich, earthy cup of coffee, sans the jitteriness...well I suppose it's probably a little more potent as a mood booster than caffeine heh, I was just expecting it to pack more of a punch considering all the hype. The second cup which I just finished hasn't added much, i'm getting the opioid itch now though. The green strain seems pretty mild for me, i'm going to have a pinch of red in a bit then puff on a cigar %)

I wonder if I got weak stuff, the vendor I chose was highly regarded though so it's probably just you and I who it doesn't leave much of an impression on?...I don't dabble with opioids very often at all, once or twice a year if that so it isn't tolerance, but I would say even a CWE of codeine does more for me at this point. It will still come in useful for mood boosting, I just over-anticipated a bit.

Yeah, you have. Kratom is an opioid. ;) I believe you mean opiATEs, which is a drug derived from the opium poppy. Kratom affects some opioid receptors, among others, which gives it the mild opiate-like effect. I compare a proper dose of kratom to having a coffee and a percocet. The effect is mild euphoria, feelings of well-being and empathy, imagine 1/20th the effect of MDMA. I wouldn't call it "dancy" but it could inspire you to be less self-conscious about dancing in public. It will make you chatty, and will make you think things like "Man, I love this place" or "I'm so glad I have these friends", and things like that. It also obviously comes with good pain relief if you suffer from aches or pains. It will blast an alcohol hangover into the nether regions as if you never even had a drink. It will not only make the work day fly by, but will make you love the work you're doing too (its most addicting effect IMO, its what got me hooked).

If it's not working, I'd give up on it (yeah right, after I just gave that sales pitch.. 8)). It can be addicting because it is so effective and seemingly comes with no repercussions. I've been through the withdrawals and while they are manageable, it still sucks. Insomnia, cold sweats, chills, feelings of restlessness, strong cravings, and some anxiety. Absolute child's play compared to real opiates, but still is not a desirable state to be in. So yeah, if a few trials do not make you instantly fall in love with it, consider it a blessing in disguise. I currently use 8.5g every morning with a 5.5g follow up dose after lunch, every single day, with some days I use a bit more. Going a work day without it sounds bloody awful. I'd rather have no coffee for 2 weeks instead of no kratom for 1 day. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to taper off and make it recreational again.

Hope it helps!

I think that's a really great description. Especially about how it can be addictive. I agree that the WDs are manageable if you're taking reasonable doses, but they still suck and not something you want to experience.

I also know some people that have tried kratom and don't feel any of those great effects, so for some people, it's just not their cup of tea.

The

Hope it helps!

Nice post. It's nice. Not everyones cup of tea, but good nonetheless.

EDIT: Funny. Now I want a kratom cup of tea!

Last edited:
So, I have to come back on m previous experiences. I had some time to kill last Saturday and tried some Kratom in the morning, before heading off for a walk in the woods. I have been feeling lethargic, coming out of a busy week and having a busy week ahead of me. Some other troubles and worries were wearing me down and I had gotten tired of being tired. Grounding myself in nature seemed like an obvious thing to do. Worked before, at least.

I had a conservative teaspoon for a dose on an empty stomach and had a healthy breakfast soon after. I chilled for a bit, to make sure I was fit to drive. I don't know the effects of Kratom just yet, but just after finishing breakfast, I did feel a subtle, but noticeable change. It felt rather holistic. I got renewed energy and suddenly couldn't wait to get out there and enjoy the day.

As soon as I arrived where I wanted to go, it started raining cats and dogs, but the temperature was still alright. I basically hid under a small bit of roofing and as soon as the clouds cleared, a beautiful sun ànd rain soaked afternoon appeared. I walked tirelessly and thoroughly enjoyed nature.

What's funny, as that in hindsight, I did have renewed energy and a lift in mood and the actions that ensued, more or less improved my quality of life. I realize that Kratom can be a help to kickstart you out of lethargy, but the real benefit is required from wielding that energy into something productive. That's where the real gain is. About an hour or so into my little adventure into the woods, I honestly forgot all about Kratom and was so immersed in being outside.

Funny thing, Kratom. I still have a bunch left, for some future moment where I'll turbo boost myself into the cosmos yet again. I see how it easy it is to misinterpret this plant as some mind-altering plant, which it isn't. I experience it as a booster, a step-up, but you have to take it from there. Such a friendly energy.

FYI, it's Green Malay I have. Tastes likes ass, but the dry, coarse, gritty consistency that makes it hard to swallow.

Low doses of kratom do work great as a stimulant and mood enhancer. I very much enjoy physical labor of exercise on a low dose of kratom, or intellectual activities like reading and writing.

That all said, and while this doesn't sound like an issue for you, kratom has a dark side when used chronically or to excess.

Have you ever had any problems using other drugs like opioids or stimulants? If you have had a significant problem with anything like that, I'd just caution you to continue being very conservative with kratom.

Edit: never mind, I forgot you mentioned you were opioid naive (which isn't a bad thing by any means). Kratom and nature sounds quite nice.

I believe a tablespoon is about 6-8 grams, that's a pretty heavy dose for a starter and you should have definitely felt something (good or bad). If you pursue kratom I would strongly recommend a scale (got mine for like < no pricing, even for this> on amazon). Seems like you did everything correct, empty stomach is probably the biggest factor as far as administration.

qtf. The head shop by me had fire, but was waaaaay, overpriced for the quality Kratom
It was.

I'm not violating rules by saying online if you can help it.

Kratom + hiking can make for some great afternoons %) Glad you enjoyed yourself LostAtomsk