• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • Bluelight HOT THREADS
  • Let's Welcome Our NEW MEMBERS!

Misc Kratom for alcohol abuse?

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
Could kratom be used to help stop alcohol abuse, does anyone know? Or would it just be replacing one substance with another?

Currently I am drinking all day every day (almost) and it is leading to a bad place. I am starting to have sleep paralysis and other mental health problems from the alcohol.

Please let me know if you have struggled with this. I took my first dose of kratom not long ago after waking today and having 3 drinks which was all I had left. I have not repurchased any alcohol where normally I would be looking for m.e

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Umm well... maybe? I know for some reasons a lot of alcoholics replace alcoholism with opiates. Benzos seem closer to alcohol than opiates do to booze. But I guess if it helps you stop drinking personally then regarding how innocent kratom is when it comes to booze--it wouldn't really matter if kratom became an entirely new and replaced addiction. It still has withdrawals of its own but considering alcohol withdrawal and the physical damage from perpetually drinking I can't say it would even be a big deal.

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
Umm well... maybe? I know for some reasons a lot of alcoholics replace alcoholism with opiates. Benzos seem closer to alcohol than opiates do to booze. But I guess if it helps you stop drinking personally then regarding how innocent kratom is when it comes to booze--it wouldn't really matter if kratom became an entirely new and replaced addiction. It still has withdrawals of its own but considering alcohol withdrawal and the physical damage from perpetually drinking I can't say it would even be a big deal.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I kind of replaced prescribed opiates with alcohol and that is where I have been at lately so I am going back to opiates in a way but it was either this or hound my doctor again who I could tell was getting sick of prescribing them. Last few times he was telling me I need a pain management review and had to see another doctor to do this and I just tried to get off them but found myself drinking every waking minute.

sekio

Moderator: N&PD
Staff member
It's possible that kratom would help for alcohol abuse (I seem to recall that morphine was used to treat alcoholism back in the day?) but it would not substitute for alcohol directly. Alcohol is mostly a GABA-A/GABA-B agonist as well as a NMDA antagonist, whereas kratom is a mu opioid agonist and also acts at adrenergic receptors.

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
It's possible that kratom would help for alcohol abuse (I seem to recall that morphine was used to treat alcoholism back in the day?) but it would not substitute for alcohol directly. Alcohol is mostly a GABA-A/GABA-B agonist as well as a NMDA antagonist, whereas kratom is a mu opioid agonist and also acts at adrenergic receptors.
Thank you for your reply and that is interesting. I knew alcohol worked on the GABA receptors (same as benzos) but didn't know they affected the NMDA also. If I recall that is also affected by ketamine and N20 which I really enjoyed when I had it. I just don't want to burn out all my GABA receptors or however it works. I know alcohol withdrawal can even be fatal in some cases so it's not something to be messed with.

The effect for me today started out pleasant enough and I got some housework done and then became more stimulating to the point I wasn't sure I enjoyed it but then it went relaxing so it kind of changes. I don't feel the need to redose right now like I would with opiates. No cravings for more or anything.

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Honestly when I was taking kratom I kind of found it harder to enjoy drinking alcohol.
In general throwing a substance into the mix promotes any addiction to lessen. This is just due to the effects interfering with the previous substance. For example, states with legal marijuana use suddenly report lower opiate use. It's not intelligent to do so by means but it objectively somehow does work.

I think that alcohol is the worst substance to ever exist (lol writing this while drunk). It destroys your body and mind worse than meth. Anything away from it would be considered HR mentally and physically. I stand by doing everything you can to stay off of booze. You've got a limited time frame to enjoy alcohol before it cause permanent issues. Damn you guys I barely drink. I don't know how you do it regularly it's so strong :ROFLMAO:

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
In general throwing a substance into the mix promotes any addiction to lessen. This is just due to the effects interfering with the previous substance. For example, states with legal marijuana use suddenly report lower opiate use. It's not intelligent to do so by means but it objectively somehow does work.

I think that alcohol is the worst substance to ever exist (lol writing this while drunk). It destroys your body and mind worse than meth. Anything away from it would be considered HR mentally and physically. I stand by doing everything you can to stay off of booze. You've got a limited time frame to enjoy alcohol before it cause permanent issues. Damn you guys I barely drink. I don't know how you do it regularly it's so strong :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for your reply and this totally makes sense! It feels a bit better for me mentally to be not out buying alcohol today or yesterday which I would have normally and I was heading down a bad path. Also I was only just thinking earlier how I really do hate the taste of alcohol and was wondering if anyone really enjoys the taste of it. I only drink it for the effects. And it was getting to the stage where I could feel them kick in more prominently if that makes sense which makes me feel I was becoming very reliant on it.

I used to barely drink too but life and other addictions happen and there I was so be careful. Enjoy it though lol

FuckinAcidMan

Bluelighter

I mean I'm coming off of like 4-8 beers a day for the better part of the last year almost. Its shocking how much less grumpy and tired I feel only drinking on the weekends now.

The best part is I no longer look forward to drinking in an unhealthy and somewhat obsessive fashion, as it isn't a cycle of rebound anxiety/hangover and relief from that by drinking more.

Alcohol is definitely a shitty drug. I'm only continually sucked into it because of how ingrained it is in western culture.

Last edited:

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I mean I'm coming off of like 4-8 beers a day for the better part of the last year almost. Its shocking how much less grumpy and tired I feel only drinking on the weekends now.

The best part is I no longer look forward to drinking in an unhealthy and somewhat obsessive fashion, as it isn't a cycle of rebound anxiety/hangover and relief from that by drinking more.

Alcohol is definitely a shitty drug. I'm only continually sucked into it because of how ingrained it is in western culture.
Yeah it really makes no sense to me. I live in a state where weed is treated like the devil's lettuce and attempts to legalize it is repeatedly shot down by the government despite 60+ % of our population supporting legalization. If it was up to me I'd be able to buy percocet at toys R us. Anyway.. Liquor is fine here.

anonymouse77

Bluelighter

Thank you for your reply. It is completely accepted to drink yourself to death if you want to. Easy to buy and no one bats an eyelid. I have seen others waiting at the liquor shop near me which opens at 9am Sunday when I was hanging out for more booze and I notice that the hangovers don't seem to affect me as much when I just keep drinking then next day. It truly is a viscous cycle.

So are you replacing the alcohol with anything or just stopped?

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
Yeah it really makes no sense to me. I live in a state where weed is treated like the devil's lettuce and attempts to legalize it is repeatedly shot down by the government despite 60+ % of our population supporting legalization. If it was up to me I'd be able to buy percocet at toys R us. Anyway.. Liquor is fine here.
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry you live in a state like that. I live in Australia so it's the same here.

That was actually my next question to others and thinking of making another thread but will ask here first - I can legally get some CBD oil but it's very expensive. I have bought it twice (going from the less potent strength to the strongest the second time) and still am not sure if it did anything. I also ask because I mentioned it to someone who was into kratom and he told me it's a scam (the CBD oil).

What do others think? This might sound stupid but I saw some comments on instagram about a pet food made locally with hemp oil in it and commenters were going on about how it helped keep their pet calmer and it only had the hemp oil from what I could tell so now I am wondering if I should just buy another bottle of the hemp oil capsules you can get from the pharmacy here. I understand the difference is the hemp oil is just the seeds and the CBD oil is the whole plant.

FuckinAcidMan

Bluelighter
Thank you for your reply. It is completely accepted to drink yourself to death if you want to. Easy to buy and no one bats an eyelid. I have seen others waiting at the liquor shop near me which opens at 9am Sunday when I was hanging out for more booze and I notice that the hangovers don't seem to affect me as much when I just keep drinking then next day. It truly is a viscous cycle.

So are you replacing the alcohol with anything or just stopped?
Weed and coffee/tea, although that was already a part of the usual routine