• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom causing panic attacks????

roux

Greenlighter
Hi. Longtime lurker first time poster. I have a good amount of experience with all recreation drugs. Lots of experience with and a naturally high tolerance to opiates...
I have a company that provides various products to convenience store and one of my suppliers sent me samples of a kratom extract several months ago. Im not sure of the dosage, but they come in a pack of two large capsules...I found that i felt nothing off of one packet, but two provided a decent buzz. Three or four packs gave a really nice opiate buzz. I was really enjoying this product taking it a few times a week for two or three weeks. I noticed that the high seemed to have two separate phases. Initially it was a really nice opiate high . Towards the end though it would seem to intensify and be similar to a cannabis high. I had a few occasions where i was really tore up and went to be and would be somewhat panicky before i fell asleep thinking thoughts like what if i dont wake up.
So to the point. Recently i took three packs(i had actually taken four the previous nite) I was really enjoying the kratom high like usual. My neighbor had stopped by and him and my wife and i were smoking cigs outside. I was in mid sentence and my mind just went blank and i was immediatly freaked out. My wife justed looked at me and was like whats up with you Johnny weirdo??? I went inside to try to get my shit together.... I was in full on panic mode thinking i was od'ing with my heart beating out my chest. I made my neighbor leave and let my wife know what was going on....We did some quick research online and found my symptons were the exact opposite of a kratom overdose.
I then remembered that the lab analysis my supplier had provided with the kratom showed that it contained caffeine along with the kratom extract. I convince myself that they had mistakenly dosed the pills i had taken with way to much caffeine. After a while tho i realized that they couldnt contain enough caffeine to cause the effects i was having. My heart continued to beat so hard and fast that i could hear it pounding in my ears. My face was red and flushed. Everynow and then i heart would slow down really slow and i would feel like i was coming out of it then it would start right back. I was convinced i was going to die and was so sad that i was going to leave my wife alone. I came so close on multiple occasions to having my wife take me to the hospital... I was scared to sleep that i might not wake up and told my wife to check me every few minutes to make sure i was still awake....THis lasted for about three hours or so and finally eased up and i went to sleep. I promised to never take any kratom again...
.The following day i did a bunch of research and could find anyone with a similar experience. I convinced myself that i just had a panic attack unrelated to the kratom. About a month later i was on my way back from working out of town and was headed to some friends house where my wife was already. I decided to take a few packs again. Same experience . For the first hour or so i felt great then i begin to panic again. I was paranoid that our friends would realize i was wigging out. This time the panic came more in waves and i was able to manage it better. I did have to drive us home and tho i hadnt drank i was so scared of being pulled over....Both of these experiences were nearly identical to pot psychosis. Anyone else have this type of experience??? Would taking a xanax along with the kratom help????

Last edited:
try separating your post into an easier to read format.. like sentences, paragraphs spaces between them and just make it look easier on the eye and you will get more readers and responses.. i know im not reading that block of text, but if it were reader friendly i would surely help you out.

EDIT: i read it anyways lol.. yes xanax would help and would synergize nicely with it..
Your post is more of a story than a question (beisdes the xanax part) so im not too sure on what you want answered.

Hopefully it looks a little more appealing now.....I didnt plan on rambling on so long..:) My main question was if anyone else has had a panic attack or a bad trip on kratom...

i got really paranoid on it years ago for some strange reason that i still don't know lol.. i thought my probation officer was outside of my window watching me dose my kratom and he was mad that it was legal so he couldn't arrest me.. i got paranoid to the point to where i bought an at home drug test that tests for opiates for (no prices allowed) so the same price as a carton of cigs lol.. and i wanted to make sure i didn't pop for morphine metabolites (what most drug tests search for) and i was fine.

Anxiety manifests in the mind and only the mind calming down and relaxing will alleviate the anxiety, which is what benzos make it easier to do. But slow deep breathing and imagining yourself "planted" to the ground beneath you are natural ways to get id of anxiety attacks.
And trust me they work, i was locked up for a year and they sure as hell dont pass out benzos in jail so the counselor taught me a few tricks (like the ones i listed) do a google search, there are many stress reducing exercises.

Good luck on future kratom ventures, it is really a great plant if used responsibly.
But to answer your question.. yes i have gotten anxiety from kratom, also paranoia.
Hope i helped
Have Fun. Be Safe.
%)

-HOOD

ive never had a panic attack with kratom but i've found that when i lie down to go to sleep on kratom things can get a little weird and trippy and ive had some scary visions and been frightened at times. i just try to ignore the visions for the most part.

Panic attacks and Kratom

I know this is old, but I have had several panic attacks the past few days which I can attribute to Kratom. I am a chronic pain patient and got sick of having to beg for meds so I started using Kratom as a replacement which by the way, has worked extremely well. I had been using the same vendor for a few months and decided to try a different vendor. The Kratom effects from the new vendor were extremely strong but after an hour I go into full blown panic attack with shaking legs and arms, skyrocketing heart rate and hyperventilation. I have experimented the past couple of days and I get the same results every time about the time that the Kratom starts to really kick in. I have to lay down and relax and pop some phenibut to calm down. I'm not sure if is the kratom or the vendor at this point, but I have the same issue as the OP.

I haven't personally had any panic attacks on Kratom. Only negative/s for me? Upset stomache... knot-like. Kratom didn't do much for me. Question, though: you say you have a pretty heavy/high opiate tolerance so I am curious as to exactly how much kratom you are taking (in grams, if whatever works and how/when you dose. Sorry if you've answered these already... I didn't read all above posts very thoroughly.

Last edited:
I have had some very mild panic with kratom, not exactly what I would call a panic attack, more like high anxiety and increased heartrate etc. I'm sure it could have turned into a panic attack if I didn't handle it as well mentally. It's likely due to kratom's stimulant effects.

Last time I dosed with kratom, I bought two ounces of powdered bali. It is often reported to be more sedating in effects, yet it was uncomfortably speedy and made me anxious throughout the duration on a 15g dose.

The reason I came across your post is because I was searching for those symptoms of kratom. I had exact same experience as you described, I use kratom on daily basis, but last night for the first time I got those side effects. Rapid heart rate, it felt like its gonna jump out of my chest, extreme panic, sweating, but it lasted for over 8 hours, I got so scared. I naver had this experience with kratom before, I don't know what happened. I did however took more then I usually do, I took around 25 grams of Bali powder. Another factor could be is that I stopped dipping tobacco at the same time, it is possible that I was going through niccotine withdraw. I'm not sure which one it is, but I'm affraid to take kratom now. What do you guys think?

I get this. Kratom gives me fucked up visions when I try to sleep, and also makes me unbearably tense in a gross, caffeinated way. I've gotten close to getting a panic attack once when I tried meditating on it. i blame the stimulation. I really dislike Kratom's stimulation. If I wanted to be stimulated and relaxed, I could just mix an Oxy with an Adderall.

If Oxys were so widely availble, there would be no need for kratom. You can't just say I would rather do Oxys or hydros, I would too but SWIM can't get oxys

Kratom contains many different psychoactive alkaloids. A few of these are stimulants and resemble Yohimbine. I really like Kratom, though it is an occasional treat for me. Honestly, it might just be my favorite opioid because it is a multifaceted drug (many people may read this as a "dirty drug"). Anyway, I like that it hits a lot more than just the mu opioid receptor. The relatively strong affinity that mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine have for the delta opioid receptor should help to mitigate most of the negative stimulant affects. The delta receptor is quite anxiolytic and antidepressant. However, I'm pretty sensitive to stimulants and can definitely feel the uppers at the beginning of any Kratom experience. I say this as someone who has done his fair share of amphetamines, cocaine and amphetamine substitutes (Ritalin aka methylphenidate, etc.). Generally speaking I don't like stims and rarely take my prescribed ADD meds unless I really need them. For most of the experience though, Kratom feels like an opioid and synergizes very well with cannabis. I find that it's best to just chill out for the first bit after taking Kratom until I am completely relaxed-- listen to music and read random stuff on bluelight, reddit, slashdot, etc. It does sound like some people are taking too much Kratom at one time. ~12g is enough to get me where I want to be with a mild opioid tolerance. I haven't used other opioids in quite a while so that helps. If I were to take 25g of good, clean, non-enhanced bali, I would be feeling like crap too. This substance does have a cap on it's effects. Read: you can only take so much before negative effects begin to kick in. I know this is an old thread but it still seems to be active, so I'll post. As for the previous post | ^ | we don't use "SWIM" here. If you are really that worried about implicating yourself, then bluelight is not somewhere you should be posting. In general, Kratom will only get you so far. If you take to much straight powder you won't feel good at all. If you start taking extracts, you really start to face a potentially serious opioid addiction. The OP asked about taking Xanax along with Kratom... I feel I need to add the standard disclaimer here and say that mixing sedatives is a good way to achieve respiratory depression in your sleep (aka suffocation). Yes, benzos like Xanax will help reduce the anxiety, HOWEVER, if you are going to combine these substances, PLEASE do so in moderation. Anyway, if you are going to use this substance recreationally, there is a cap on how high you can go before you start feeling like crap due to the complex pharmacology of all of the alkaloids. Be safe and enjoy yourselves.

I know this is an Old thread but I have something relevant to add here.. I've been taking kratom everyday for over a year.. my dosage has gotten pretty high.. up to 30 grams throughout the whole day.. well I just recently started to notice that when I reach the 30 gram mark or near to it that I start having to clear my throat constantly and notice quite labored breathing... I do not know what it causing this.. But drinking energy drinks make it worse.. I use to wake up every morning and drink an energy drink and take 8 gm of kratom or so.. but now when I take a dose like that with an energy drink I get the constant need to clear my throat and it develops into labored breathing. I almost went to the hospital for it once.. do u guys think it could possibly be the combination of the Kratom's stimulant effects on top of an energy drink causing this.. like maybe a heart or vascular issue.. or could it be that I'm developing an allergy to kratom or could it be that high amounts are starting to trigger my mostly long dormant asthma? any insight on this particular issue would be extremely helpful.. Thanx
B

Lower your kratom dose and cut out the energy drinks. Or consider taking a break from kratom. Are you swallowing the powder? If so it can and will damage your throat and airways.

Lower your kratom dose and cut out the energy drinks. Or consider taking a break from kratom. Are you swallowing the powder? If so it can and will damage your throat and airways.

Word. Plus, taking 30 grams of anything but food daily can't be good bud... You need to lower (taper?) your dosage, cut back on the energy drinks, if you have to have one, I suggest the 8.4oz redbul because it contains no HFCS (which has been found to contain mercury - sourced by a reg. M.D.), and try to limit to one or two of those per week max. I know, I was severely addicted to taking my meds with the bull every morning and had bad WD from the bull itself!

So, yea, cut back on the Kratom bro, even the Thai just use it as a supplement when they can't get what they need. Although, some people and cultures use it regularly, but I think they make tea from whole leaf man. I just think you're overdoing it with 30g of powder daily...

Good luck, kratom is a tool, peace be with you,

C_P <3

kratom is a tool

QFTMFT... plain leaf Kratom is a delightfully weak, medicinal substance. Chasing the high (dosing more than 5-8g of good plain leaf more than 1-2 times a day) will seriously negate Kratom's positive effects by bringing on more negative effects.

Sorry for the old thread guys, but I was wondering if anyone (other than myself) has ever awakened repeatedly with panic attack-like symptoms after taking kratom.

This happened to me the last time I took it. I woke up multiple times--very suddenly--that night with a racing heart. Waking up like that worries me.

I generally do something like 6 or 7 teaspoons every other evening.

(This is my first post btw, so 'hi')

Sorry for the old thread guys, but I was wondering if anyone (other than myself) has ever awakened repeatedly with panic attack-like symptoms after taking kratom.

This happened to me the last time I took it. I woke up multiple times--very suddenly--that night with a racing heart. Waking up like that worries me.

I generally do something like 6 or 7 teaspoons every other evening.

(This is my first post btw, so 'hi')

Very strange, I've been a long time kratom user and never really heard much with kratom causing severe panic attacks. Do you know what kind of kratom you are getting? It's better to order online than going through smoke shops. But bali is the more sedating kind and Thai is the more energizing strain. Thai never really gives me panic attacks, but it does make me extremely irritable sometimes so I've stuck with Bali. 6 or 7 teaspoons seems like a lot for a dose, what is that around 20 grams? Lower your dose 3-7 grams and get a more sedating strain like Bali and I doubt it will happen.

Very strange, I've been a long time kratom user and never really heard much with kratom causing severe panic attacks. Do you know what kind of kratom you are getting? It's better to order online than going through smoke shops. But bali is the more sedating kind and Thai is the more energizing strain. Thai never really gives me panic attacks, but it does make me extremely irritable sometimes so I've stuck with Bali. 6 or 7 teaspoons seems like a lot for a dose, what is that around 20 grams? Lower your dose 3-7 grams and get a more sedating strain like Bali and I doubt it will happen.

I have a 'red' strain and a 'white' strain, both of which were obtained from an online supplier. I usually mix them 50/50.

I get a lot of caffeine at work though, and lately I've been taking it (kratom) about an hour and a half before I get off work, because I found out it hits me fast and hard while I'm working. So maybe there was some overlap between the kratom and the caffeine.