• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Kratom, Cannabis, and Local Anesthesia

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
I have been using both Kratom and Cannabis to treat nausea and pain from Chronic Illness. Im about to go to the dentist to get a cavity filled and I was told that I would be getting local anesthetics beforehand. I have read that Cannabis can increase your tolerance of general anesthesia, but I was wondering if either Kratom or Cannabis affected local anesthesia. I would like to use them both to keep me comfortable, but is there an interaction or a cross tolerance that I should be aware of? Id appreciate any insight

I'd say it's highly unlikely there will be any significant interactions. A cursory google search suggests that long-term opiate use can reduce the effectiveness of local anaesthetics to a degree - but kratom is not a conventional opiate, and in any case this is a chronic effect, so probably not of much relevance to a single incidence of being under the influence of kratom while having a local anaesthetic administered.

No, local anesthetics are not effected by cannabis or kratom. I mean, don't go to a dentist while high on either of them, but at the same time if you use them regularly there's no need to worry.

No, local anesthetics are not effected by cannabis or kratom. I mean, don't go to a dentist while high on either of them, but at the same time if you use them regularly there's no need to worry.
Great, thanks for the help. In the past my Anesthesiologist said I had a very unusually high tolerance to General Anesthesia (From either the Kratom or the Cannabis), so I’m glad they don’t affect local anesthesia in the same way.

In terms of pain kratom is relevant. It's very relevant. Tell them how much you use in detail (as you can manage) and they should be able to approximate whatever pain meds you may or may not need.

But otherwise anesthesia is a benzo and sometimes other GABAergic realm. Usually versed.

Cannabinoids are not as of yet used for this function.