• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom and pain clinics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray86

Greenlighter
I'm new here. I tried posting this once already and when I tried to go back to edit my post, it just got deleted so I'm trying again. I have multiple sclerosis and I am in pain all day everyday. I started using kratom months ago to help with the pain while I wait for my first appointment with the pain clinic. My appointment is on the 15th. I cut down my dose of kratom significantly and am experiencing really bad withdrawals. I have a script for Percocet but I had to put off using it until tomorrow to make sure I have enough to last until my appointment. What I want to know is, has anyone used kratom while participating with a pain clinic and been ok? <snip> And will it even matter since it's legal? Also any tips on how to deal with the withdrawals? I've been waking up every morning with a panic attack for years now and so cutting my dosage of kratom has made this so much worse. Thanks in advance for any info and/or advice &#55357;&#56842;

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see the rules for this forum until after I posted. I'm not sure if my post counts as a "drug testing" question and I don't know how or where to move it if it does.

I have taken kratom the day of my appointment and passed a ua. Something you have to remember is that kratom is a legal substance and you can take as much as you want.

Gmlifer, do you mean the day of your pain clinic appointment?

Discussions about legality and passing drug tests are against the rules. Ray, please edit that part out of your post if you know how. There's a little picture of a pencil that will allow you to edit your post when you click/press on it. EDIT: I use the mobile site 95% of the time and forgot it's just a rectangular "edit" button from the normal site.

I've never stayed in a pain management program, but IME, it's best to find a doctor who is open to you using herbs that help you. Most of my past doctors were clueless about kratom, and some had a significant attitude shift when I told them it was an opioid. However, my current doc did some research on it, and he told me that I should use it if it's helping me. I think having someone open to alternative treatments that you're benefitting from will go a long ways towards bettering your health, and being able to establish a completely honest dialogue will make it much easier for your prescriber to help you. I personally have 100x more respect for an MD that researches something before telling me it's bad than making that call with little to no knowledge about the substance

Last edited:
Mobius, I did write the post once before and tried to edit to add info but when I clicked the button to add what I typed, it highlighted the delete button above it instead and deleted my post. What I clicked wasn't even close to the delete button. I'm not sure if I'm just doing it wrong? Can you help?

It's federally legal but there are some states where kratom has been made schedule 1. I'm not sure how current this map is so you may want to be careful depending on where you live. Ray86, I hope you find some pain relief and good luck with your appointment!

http://speciosa.org/home/kratom-legality-map/

(The first square underneath your post is the edit button)

Mobius, I did write the post once before and tried to edit to add info but when I clicked the button to add what I typed, it highlighted the delete button above it instead and deleted my post. What I clicked wasn't even close to the delete button. I'm not sure if I'm just doing it wrong? Can you help?

I often get that glitch when I try to edit from the mobile site. I'll take care of it for you. No worries :)

Thank you Mobius. I've never joined any kind of thread before so I'm kind of clueless with these things. I'll be more mindful in any future posts about how I word things and I'll look for other ways to find answers to questions that aren't ok for this site.

you will likely get kicked out of pain treatment and YES, kratom will show up on confirmation/advanced drugtests.

doesn't matter that its legal, its viewed as a drug of abuse with not legitimate medical purpose by the law and medical establishment (despite most doctors I know not being in favor of scheduling of kratom). However many of these labs actually classify kratom as a bath salt or designer drug since these labs are all grossly unregulated and very minimal education is required to supervise one.

I used to work in the drug testing industry setting up the instruments they use for the advanced testing, and was in pain management for 5 years also.

This mich needed fixing of a bug irritates me as well. To avoid it go to your mobile browsers setting and hit request desktop site. Same trick for opening a topic in OD as you can't see the thread prefix option in the mobile site.

you will likely get kicked out of pain treatment and YES, kratom will show up on confirmation/advanced drugtests.

doesn't matter that its legal, its viewed as a drug of abuse with not legitimate medical purpose by the law and medical establishment (despite most doctors I know not being in favor of scheduling of kratom). However many of these labs actually classify kratom as a bath salt or designer drug since these labs are all grossly unregulated and very minimal education is required to supervise one.

I used to work in the drug testing industry setting up the instruments they use for the advanced testing, and was in pain management for 5 years also.

This is news to me. I have passed a ua twice when on kratom at a pain clinic. Have you or anyone you know actually failed a ua for kratom? Why would they tell you not to take a legal substance? Kratom works very well to keep withdrawals at bay and it also works well to treat pain. Also, what are they looking for in urine to confirm you are positive for kratom. I'll definitely make sure it's not in my system from here on out.

Next time I'm sign the form for a ua I will see if kratom is on that form.

Last edited:
There's no standard UA test for kratom, but they could detect it with spectroscopic analysis. It's extremely unlikely that a pain clinic will do that though. Usually, those analytical methods of drug testing are used in emergency clinical settings because it's not economical to routinely administer advanced drug tests.

Let's leave the drug testing discussion at that... this thread is on a UA tangent that is against the rules.

There's no standard UA test for kratom, but they could detect it with spectroscopic analysis. It's extremely unlikely that a pain clinic will do that though. Usually, those analytical methods of drug testing are used in emergency clinical settings because it's not economical to routinely administer advanced drug tests.

Let's leave the drug testing discussion at that... this thread is on a UA tangent that is against the rules.

Indubitably. Slow, you're doing such a good job that you're robbing me of my opportunities to practice Stasi-esque control of the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.