• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Klonopin Withdrawal Experience Warning

NiemandHektik

Greenlighter
I've been on Klonopin 1mg b.i.d. for several years. Due to a mix up with my pharmacy & my doctor being on vacation, I was unable to get a refill request approved.
The 1st day without wasn't horrible, but it far from pleasant. The 2nd day, as an epileptic, I recognized the aura of an oncoming grand-mal seizure. Thanks to my primary anticonvulsant, I didn't technically go into a grand-mal seizure, however suddenly I was barely able to talk. I sounded as if I had drunk a liter of vodka. About 20 minutes later, I lost control of my legs & was unable to walk. I had to pull myself up my staircase using only my arms to wait for a ride to the hospital. I spent 5 days in the ICU, still unable to control anything below my waist. In addition, I couldn't remember how to do simple things such as tie my shoes. During this period my hands shook so bad I had to have a nurse feed me. After the 5 days I was allowed to go home. BTW, during that entire stay I was put back on klonopin and Ativan.
The reason of my post is to warn those on/using benzo's. I was extremely fortunate I lived. Alcohol & Benzo's are the two common substances that you can die from during Withdrawal. If you've been taking one for even what may seem as not to long, be sure to have a doctor ween you off the medication slowly. It might save your life.

To be honest, you should have gone to the ER immediately upon realizing the error. Benzo w/d is known to every medical professional and they could have gotten you enough to hold you over. Your Doctor could also be legally responsible for what happened to you, since he knew you were dependent.