• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kinnikinnik (Bearberry Bush)

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
As I dive more into foraging new plants for both food and medicine, I stumbled upon a plant that was supposedly used for its psychoactive effects by Natives and Settlers alike.

Commonly called Kinnikinnik, Bearberry, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi.

Various references give different details of its use. Some spots describe it as a tobacco substitute while others say it was used for “hallucinogenic” states.

The book I have describes the berries as edible yet not very tasty, and the leaves used for teas or in smoking blends. So with those thoughts I decided to try the following.

First I tried a couple berries, more sucking on the juices, an interesting taste reminiscent of apples. No psychoactive effect.

Then later on I took 1 moderate sized leaf, and as I do trying most plants for the first time chewed it up then put it in my lip. There was a very bitter taste which vanished quite quickly, I didn’t swallow any juices and after 5min spit it out and kept going with my day.

Not thinking it would do much I began making dinner, as I was cooking my vision started to fade a bit, anxiety was growing in me and I felt dissociated from my body. I tried pushing through thinking it was anxiety to no avail, I had to stop and sit near the A/C.

The effects just kept building and getting worrisome, mainly cuz it was so unexpected. I decided to hop in the shower, to chill out. My libido was through the roof and I felt aggressive, and mildly poisoned in a way too.

I felt like I’d just chewed way too much tobacco with some evil twist to it.

I eventually got out of the shower but was too fucked to do much, I ate what I could and laid down. Laying down felt a lot better, kind of like opiate nausea where you feel a lot better if you just close your eyes and relax.

I fell asleep very quickly without taking any edibles and slept deeply, when I’d wake up I still felt the effects, they weren’t pleasant, the feeling of an almost headache and just unease.

Woke up now feeling slightly better but still noticeably altered.

Is this plant psychoactive? Without a doubt yes. Is it pleasurable/worth it? Very likely no.

Too long lasting, the only positive sides were sleep and increased libido, mostly a feeling of poisoned. Like a crappy dissociative long lasting nicotine.

Taking a look at my book again, I get the impression the psychoactives aren’t water soluble based on how potent the sublingual use was as well they claim teas aren’t “potent enough unless steeped for a long time.”

Gonna go grab me a white bean coffee to hopefully shake this off ;)

-GC

That's really interesting, thanks! It's possible a lower dose would be better but it doesn't sound very desirable. It seems like native people just used what psychoactives they had available. Sometimes those may not have been so great. Also it's quite possible the preparation method and parts of the plant, or even what state of maturity of time of the year it is harvested. It's hard to say, I'm sure the natives were able to figure out the best way to use it over time.

Yea they may have been on to something with the smoking ROA, just like how tobacco is a lot stronger sublingually than smoked.

I’m definitely done putting the stuff in my mouth lol maybe once it’s dry and I’ve had some time I might give it a smoke.

-GC

As I dive more into foraging new plants for both food and medicine, I stumbled upon a plant that was supposedly used for its psychoactive effects by Natives and Settlers alike.

Commonly called Kinnikinnik, Bearberry, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi.

Various references give different details of its use. Some spots describe it as a tobacco substitute while others say it was used for “hallucinogenic” states.

The book I have describes the berries as edible yet not very tasty, and the leaves used for teas or in smoking blends. So with those thoughts I decided to try the following.

First I tried a couple berries, more sucking on the juices, an interesting taste reminiscent of apples. No psychoactive effect.

Then later on I took 1 moderate sized leaf, and as I do trying most plants for the first time chewed it up then put it in my lip. There was a very bitter taste which vanished quite quickly, I didn’t swallow any juices and after 5min spit it out and kept going with my day.

Not thinking it would do much I began making dinner, as I was cooking my vision started to fade a bit, anxiety was growing in me and I felt dissociated from my body. I tried pushing through thinking it was anxiety to no avail, I had to stop and sit near the A/C.

The effects just kept building and getting worrisome, mainly cuz it was so unexpected. I decided to hop in the shower, to chill out. My libido was through the roof and I felt aggressive, and mildly poisoned in a way too.

I felt like I’d just chewed way too much tobacco with some evil twist to it.

I eventually got out of the shower but was too fucked to do much, I ate what I could and laid down. Laying down felt a lot better, kind of like opiate nausea where you feel a lot better if you just close your eyes and relax.

I fell asleep very quickly without taking any edibles and slept deeply, when I’d wake up I still felt the effects, they weren’t pleasant, the feeling of an almost headache and just unease.

Woke up now feeling slightly better but still noticeably altered.

Is this plant psychoactive? Without a doubt yes. Is it pleasurable/worth it? Very likely no.

Too long lasting, the only positive sides were sleep and increased libido, mostly a feeling of poisoned. Like a crappy dissociative long lasting nicotine.

Taking a look at my book again, I get the impression the psychoactives aren’t water soluble based on how potent the sublingual use was as well they claim teas aren’t “potent enough unless steeped for a long time.”

Gonna go grab me a white bean coffee to hopefully shake this off ;)

-GC
Kinnikinnik is a Yurok word that means "funny trick to play on white man"

I tried smoking both the flower and leaves to no psychoactive effect, but it was low doses given how little know about the phytochemical composition. I've never tried to quid it like I do with a few sages though. I'll be very interested if you get any effect from smoking it, I'm not aware of anyone else who has tried working with this plant.

I tried smoking both the flower and leaves to no psychoactive effect, but it was low doses given how little know about the phytochemical composition. I've never tried to quid it like I do with a few sages though. I'll be very interested if you get any effect from smoking it, I'm not aware of anyone else who has tried working with this plant.

Yea I’ve chosen the quid route in the past too for various sages, I actually have some posts from years ago on DF regarding the use of Salvia nemorosa in such a way.

It was then that I began to realize many psychoactives are best absorbed and least chemically changed via this method.

I actually got some Salvia species of which I forget right now growing to which I’ll be trying again soon. The somewhat cannabis like buzz makes for a good night relaxing.

But yea when I tried smoking those back in the day they didn’t do much either, and looking at traditional use of Salvia divinorum we see similar pattern where they used to quid fresh leaves for best results.

From what I read your not alone either, most others who’ve tried smoking kinnikinnik have said not much effects either just a smooth smoke. I wouldn’t recommend trying sublingually but if you start with like half a leaf.

-GC